SS- M.Young
    OF- V. Guerrero
    OF- C. Floyd
    OF- L. Gonzalez
    UTIL- D. Wright
    UTIL- T.Hafner
    UTIL- B. Giles
    DL- L. Berkman

Berkman is due to come off the DL tomorrow. Who would you drop off of my current roster to make room for Berkman?

--I've tried to trade B. Giles and/or L. Gonzalez to upgrade my 3rd closer spot, with no takers. Should I try and trade Chavez, and move Wright back to 3B?

My pitching is pretty solid, too.

SP- R.Johnson
    SP- A.J. Burnett
    SP- J. Vazquez
    SP- J. Patterson
    P- J. Bonderman
    P- E. Bedard
    P- Y. Brazoban
    RP- F. Rodriguez
    RP- B.J. Ryan
    DL- B. Sheets

I was planning on dropping Brazoban when Sheets is ready to come off the DL as Gagne will most likely be back by then. Since all of my starters are pretty good, I'm ok with going with 7 starters and 2 closers instead of 6 starters and 3 closers.

What should I do? Brian Giles is slumping horribly, but it would be a real shame if I simply had to waive Giles to make room for Berkman. No one will take him in trade because his "average is below .200". Chavez's trade value is low in our league, too as I've shopped him around before with nothing interesting offered. Luis Gonzalez's trade value is low because he's "old". Hafner's trade value isn't very good because of his slow start, and I'm NOT trading Adam Dunn! As you can see, I've tried everything to try and make room for Berkman on my team, and no one wants to trade ANYTHING of worth to me for those guys I just listed. Just not sure what to do....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who would you drop?

Was offered Jon Garland for OF Cliff Floyd.

Does that help me any? I'd have to drop either Brazoban, or Bedard to make room for him, and then drop someone else to make room for Sheets when he comes back...

Hmmm. That doesn't sound like such a good option.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I say get rid of B. Giles, he hasn't hit well in petco and since alot of people seem to think he was on the juice his best days are probably behind him.

Also had an offer of SP Oliver Perez for SP John Patterson and OF Brian Giles, but I'm worried about Perez's arm.

Trying to talk that owner into making it Odalis Perez or Bartolo Colon for Patterson / Giles
    Last edited by Red Leader; 05-05-2005 at 03:14 PM.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Patterson is not a lock to make it through the season either, I have him as well and cringed while ESPN was talking about his injury problems.

Not Laughing

Have you tried shopping Berkman?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Have you tried shopping Berkman?
    No, I haven't because I've thought that he is going to be my 2nd best OF/UTIL player behind Guerrero. I expect him to be better than Floyd, Lu. Gonzalez, D. Wright, Hafner, and Giles.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Not Laughing

Berkman is good, but he's coming off a serious injury. His trade value is pretty low so I doubt you'd see a good return.

I'd hang on to Floyd right now. He's bound to get hurt soon, but ride the wave he's on.

(In fact, when he does get hurt, that could solve your Berkman situation...)

Also, do you have to activate Berkman right away in your leauge? Can you stash him on the DL until he proves to you he is healthy?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Berkman is good, but he's coming off a serious injury. His trade value is pretty low so I doubt you'd see a good return.

I'd hang on to Floyd right now. He's bound to get hurt soon, but ride the wave he's on.

(In fact, when he does get hurt, that could solve your Berkman situation...)

Also, do you have to activate Berkman right away in your leauge? Can you stash him on the DL until he proves to you he is healthy?
    League rules states that a positional player has 5 games after they return from the DL to be activated. If they aren't activated by the start of the 6th game they are released onto the waiver wire, which is why I've been scrambling like a madman trying to create a roster spot.

Best offer I've gotten so far is Brazoban and Giles for Jose Mesa.

Still waiting to hear back from the owner with Colon and Odalis Perez.

Most likely, I'll just keep Berkman on the DL until the 5 games are up. If Giles hasn't started hitting by then or if no one has gotten injured, I'll drop Giles.

I mentioned before that someone offered me Jon Garland for Cliff Floyd, that offer is still on the table, and he keeps begging me to do a deal. Doing that deal isn't bad, but I'd have to drop Brazoban right now. I might revisit that tomorrow after I hear how soon Gagne will be returning. If Gagne comes back this weekend, I might go ahead with that trade, although I'd hate to lose Floyd's hot bat....he will inevitably get hurt at some point.

Thanks for your help so far guys....
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

The Jose Mesa deal might not be that bad. You're planning on dropping both Brazoban and Giles eventually, right? Why not at least get something in return? Gagne is almost all the way back anyway. I'd do it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Also had an offer of SP Oliver Perez for SP John Patterson and OF Brian Giles, but I'm worried about Perez's arm.
    I would've taken that. Giles is prolly gonna be the one you drop anyway, so it comes down to Patterson vs Perez. If Perez comes around he's gold.

Man, I am sooo struggling with this. Giles went 4-5 with a HR and 5 RBI last night. He seems to be on the road to recovery.

Here are the players I consider "untradeable":

1. Vlad. He's a superstar.
    2. Dunn
    3. M. Young (good SS, and my only one)
    4. I. Rodriguez (good C, and my only one)
    5. Chavez, Wright, B. Giles, M. Giles, Berkman, and Hafner all have low values right now, and as such, are probably not worth trading right now.

That leaves:
    C. Floyd and L. Gonzalez as the only players I could "afford to lose". Floyd has a real hot bat right now, but so does Gonzalez. In fact, they are my highest "ranked" players behind Vlad right now. No one seems to be taking Gonzalez serious, which pretty much makes him "undervalued". Floyd has value. I just can't get anyone to give me anything of value for J. Patterson / Floyd. Asking for either a RP (F. Cordero, O. Dotel) or a SP (Mulder, Hudson, Halladay, Colon) in return.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Keep Berkman on the DL until either David Wright, Cliff Floyd, or Luis Gonzalez cool down. Or trade Floyd/Gonzalez while you still can.

Thanks all for your advice.

I was able to trade SP John Patterson and OF Luis Gonzalez for SP Kerry Wood and RP Jason Isringhausen.

Trading Gonzalez opened up a spot on my roster for Berkman.

Getting Wood allows me to fill my 2nd DL spot again, and gives me insurance at SP, and Isringhausen, even though he's on the DL too, should come off on Wednesday. He gives me another closer. When Sheets comes off the DL, I can drop Brazoban to make room for Sheets and still have 3 closers in K-Rod, B.J. Ryan, and now Izzy.

I think it was a pretty good deal.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Definitely a good deal. You straight out robbed this guy.

Turn Off Ads?