Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Comedy Central stops production on Chappelle's Show

Comedy Central stops production on Chappelle's Show

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-262195c.html

By MARISA GUTHRIE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

In a highly unusual and perplexing move, Comedy Central yesterday stopped production on its sketch comedy hit "Chappelle's Show."

The terse announcement came just three weeks before the third season of the popular series was to return to the air, ending a year-long stretch of reruns.

"Comedy Central has suspended production on the third season of 'Chappelle's Show' until further notice," officials said in a written statement released late yesterday. "All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future. The third season will not premiere on May 31 as originally scheduled."

A Comedy Central spokesman would not comment beyond the statement.

Chappelle's publicist was equally tight- lipped about the stunning announcement.

Fans have already endured a lengthy absence by the acerbic, politically incorrect comedian. The last original episode of the Chappelle's no-holds-barred sketch show aired May 4, 2004.

"Chappelle's Show" has been a bright spot on the Comedy Central schedule. Last year, the network renewed the show for two seasons, an unusual move in the cable world. The lucrative deal, worth a reported $50 million - a figure downplayed by Comedy Central insiders, called for 10 episodes each for seasons three and four.

That package, according to Comedy Central sources, includes large bonuses for Chappelle if his ratings rise, as well as a percentage of future DVD sales. The show averaged about 3 million viewers an episode in its first two seasons.

If Chappelle does go back to work, he stands to make plenty from those DVD sales. The first season of "Chappelle's Show" sold 2 million copies, raking in $44 million in retail sales and making the boxed set the best selling comedy title in DVD history.

Production on the third season had been underway since the beginning of the year. Tapings in front of live audiences were scheduled for today and Saturday. But no episodes are ready for air.

Separately, earlier this week, Comedy Central announced a slew of new late night programs for the coming season, including programs hosted by Adam Carolla, D.L. Hughley and "The Daily Shows'" Stephen Colbert.

Originally published on May 5, 2005
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Comedy Central stops production on Chappelle's Show

Anybody know what happened?
    Stick to your guns.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dear Comedy Central:

Pay the man. Whatever he wants. This IS about money isn't it?

"Does Blimpie hafta choke a b%#ch?"

I doubt that its about money, considering the huge contract he signed prior to production on season 3.

Tis a shame tho, I've been a fan of his since my friend introduced me to Killin' Them Softly. Hope the show doesn't disapoint this year.

Not Laughing

On Howard Stern this morning they said it was becuase Chappelle entered "treatment". Nobody knew what kind of treatment. Another theory was that he has re-discovered his Muslim faith and now does not agree with the content of his show.

Who knows!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

That huge contract was a stunner. It said, “this is our guy. We’re hitching our wagon to his star.” Then they ran reruns for a year. I’ve been wondering what the heck was going on. Now we know.

Can you say, “artistic differences”?
    Makes all the routine posts.

No more beer dude?
    Go Gators!

Charlie Murphy says the show is over.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=197945

Cast Member: 'Chappelle's Show' Is 'Done'
    Aug 3, 1:26 PM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle's hit Comedy Central series isn't coming back, says one of its stars. "`Chappelle's Show' is over, man. Done," comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. "It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth."

Chappelle's sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

"I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody," he said. "`Chappelle's Show' was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick."

Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.

Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said.

Murphy, the older brother of comic Eddie Murphy, said his two seasons with Chappelle made him a star.

"Now I can go out and do stand-up," he said. "I'm getting movie offers. It's off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever's going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but `Chappelle's Show' served its purpose and I'll always be grateful."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

:runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr :runawaycr

Sad news indeed. I was hoping he'd do another.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sad news indeed.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

It's better to burn out than to fade away.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Dave Chappelle has issues...serious issues. There's a thin line between genius and insanity. He's apparently teetering.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

From the Dayton Daily News Site this morning:

No joke: 'Chappelle's Show' isn't coming back

NEW YORK | Staff and wire reports
    Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle's hit Comedy Central series isn't coming back, says one of its stars.

"Chappelle's Show is over, man. Done,'' comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. ''It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth.''

Chappelle was raised in Yellow Springs and now lives on a farm near there with his wife and kids.

The comic's sudden ''spiritual retreat'' to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

''I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody,'' he said. ''Chappelle's Show was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick.''

Lisa Grigsby, owner of Jokers Comedy Club who has spoken recently with both Chappelle and Charlie Murphy, confirmed Wednesday the end of Chappelle's Show's existence on Comedy Central. But she said the eight episodes that have already been taped for the show's third season may be released on DVD.
    Grigsby said Chappelle told her three weeks ago that Comedy Central undercut his profits and creative freedom.

"I think Dave is at a point where he wants a change. I think he realized there are people who want to cannibalize him as an artist. I think he felt very betrayed," she said.

Turn Off Ads?