Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds that you just hated

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Reds that you just hated

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Also Todd Benzinger, simply because in Piqua where I grew up there is a man who has a Todd Benzinger museum in his house.
    No joke, I have it on good authority that Todd Benzinger actually held a franchise record for "Most Videotape Rentals in a Single Month" from the Blockbuster Video on Beechmont Avenue.

He was going into the store and renting 5-6 videos at a time, bringing them back two or three days later, and then renting another set.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Bob Boone for obvious reasons.

Bill Scherrer was the first Red I disliked as a kid. I have no idea why. Maybe the Scarecrow was just built too funny for my 9 year old eyes.

I do remember Jerry Reuss & Dennis Rasmussen getting me T.O.'d a few times.

Kelly Paris...ugh. Keefe Cato.

I see some of my favorites on the hate list. Kal Daniels, Pokey...I even liked Deion as a Red.

Bob Owchinko was cool. I remember those programs they used to have at the gate.

"What's your favorite kind of music? What's your favorite food? Etc." But my favorite was Owchinko's answer to "If you could be anyone else in the world, who would it be?"

My wife, because she's married to such a great guy.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

The 2005 Reds.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Hernandez was so bad that Burbank had a song he played for about a week straight in honor of him. It wents something like "It was a flyball high, it was in the lights, Hernandez". Burbank really hit on that one.

Curtis Goodwin mostly because they gave away David Wells for him.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I really wanted to hate Kevin Mitchell, just because I thought he had unlimited potential and p*ssed it away by partying and generally not taking his job seriously. However, the big galoot was just so darn loveable I couldn't bring myself to hate him.

Here are some of my favorite Mitchell highlights:

+ In 1990, he was four days late to spring training because he got injured eating a microwaved donut

+ Injured himself while eating a cupcake - though this is heavily documented, details are scant. It may be an offshoot of the oh-so-true donut injury.

+ Missed a game after straining his eyelids while vomiting

+ Became the first player in Cleveland Indians franchise history who was unable to complete an 850-yard training run.

+ Landed on the DL because he strained his ribcage while vomiting

+ As a member of the Western League's Sonoma County Crushers, Mitchell was suspended for 9 games after punching the opposing team's owner in the mouth.

+ In 2002, as manager of the Sonoma County Crushers, Mitchell was suspended for 7 games after punching an opposing team's 3rd base coach. The coach was apparently stealing signs...

How could I possibly hate that guy?
    Your Kevin Mitchell memories prompted me to do some googling and came up with two ESPN Page 2 stories that had me crying with laughter in about 3 minutes:

1.) "Squeeze Play" is an ESPN Page 2 story about the history of "Fat" players in baseball. Highlights include the aforementioned Kevin Mitchell and and the sad story of former Tiger Gates Brown, who was minding his own business in the clubhouse, fixing himself a hot dog or three, when the manager called him to pinch hit. Mr. Brown decided to shove the hot dogs down his jersey and go to his at bat, which became a problem as he slid head-first into second on a double and stood up covered in mustard, ketchup, and hot dog bun.

2.) "All-Bizarre Injury Team" features such loveable stories as Ricky Henderson missing a game because of frostbite in August, and Glenallen Hill missing a game after smashing a glass table and claiming he was dreaming about spiders attacking him.

I love Baseball.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Kal Daniels and anyone that has been a pitcher the last 3 years except Ryan Wagner.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Kevin Mitchell brings mixed feelings. I loved the talent he had, but his work ethic left a bit to be desired. I remember a day game I went to, I think in '93, where he hit a homer into the yellow seats and then one into the red seats his next at bat. He doubled in his third at bat and then was taken out for a defensive replacement. On the way home I had on WLW and Gary Burbank said, "So he hit one in the yellow and one in the red. If he had hit one into the green seats he could have hit for the rainbow." I still get a laugh out of that. That had to have been two of the most impressive at bats I've ever seen though. All that talent and he let it go to waste. What a shame.

No love for Deion in here, eh. Deion was one of my favorites.

Now don't get me started on Dante Bichette or Scott Scudder.

Go Reds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66
    Gary Redus - all that speed and wasted it trying to be a power hitter
    When i read this Curtis Goodwin kept popping into my head!!!

Glenn Braggs

My post actually doesn't fit this thread, but i liked Deion Sanders. Especially having him seen live for the Reds was quite some joy ... players who are always a threat to steal or to run out a double where others whould have ended up with a single are exciting. Especially if they are also booed by the opposing fans.

Back to the topic, I don't like Graves very much (especially his attitude) and heard quite some negative stuff about Chris Stynes.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I haven't heard much about Stynes, but I have a story about him. I was up in Milwaukee on business one weekend a few years ago and my trip happened to coincide with a weekend series between the Reds and Brewers at County Stadium. I bought a nice seat for the Sunday afternoon game and just went to the Friday night game on a last minute whim and bought a cheap seat in the left field bleachers. I was sitting around a rowdy group of high schoolers who were giving me unending grief about wearing my Reds cap. Stynes was playing left field that game and those kids were taunting him something fierce the entire game, saying all manner of things about his mother and questioning the legitimacy of his birth. At one point he dropped a routine fly ball in left for a 2 base error. The ridiculing kids really kicked it into high gear at that point and Stynes just turned around, faced the stands, tipped his cap, and gave them a very elegant looking bow. That shut them up for a while.

Another vote for Dante Bichette.

I'm sure he's a nice person but I liked Hammonds a lot at the time and wasn't keen on the trade.

Gabe White....was horrible for Reds first stint. Then we sent him to Colorado. Then he comes back good again. Then stinks and we git rid of him.....you get the point. He'll probably be back next year again.

My List of "Most Disappointing/Annoying" Reds:

Deion
    Tracy Jones
    Danny Graves
    Jimmy Haynes
    Herm Winningham
    Joey Hamilton
    Mark Portugal
    David Wells
    Rick Wrona (there's a blast from the past)

Where to start?
    1)Jimmy Haynes: Did any pitcher get a bigger head after the fluke 2002 year like Haynes? He acted like he was the king of all pitchers and he deserved special treatment. When anything went bad, it wasn't Haynes fault because Haynes was king!
    2)Ryan Dempster: Granted he was injured in 2003, but his actions like he was always coming around to pitching like the "stud" he was supposed to be and his verbal tirade at Lopez in 2003 pretty much showed what he was all about, go cry with Jimmy.
    3)Pokey Reese: turned hat, prickish attitude. Enough said.
    4)Mark Portugal: Another pitcher with a "I am King" attitude who wasn't very good. When the Reds got him at the tale end of his productive career in 1995, he never seemed to want to take responsiblity for his mistakes as a pitcher, sound like any other pitcher on this list?
    5)Danny Graves: Graves always had a snotty attitude about his failures, but from 99-2002, he at least was a good BP arm. When he came back in 2004 from a failed starting bid with a weaker arm, he was still partying like it was 1999 in complete denial and everybody else was crazy who said differently!
    6)Dante Bichette: Simply couldn't stand the guy. Players in denial about their own physical limitations do to aging really can grate at you. I remember the beginning of Redszone, people would pick constant fun at Dante and call him consistantly by his first name. Oh the days of Young/Griffey/Bichette.
    7)Jim Bowden: Odd name on the list, but his constant "belief" he was developing pitching and then not squirting a single drop onto the ML team was embarrasing.
    8)Tom Browning: This guy had a good/evil persona, you never knew what you were going to get.
    9)90's Marge Schott/Carl Lindner: Neither really knew/knows how to build a ML Front Office though Schott was able to get away with overbudgted payrolls from 92-95 before she ordered a payroll of 24 million in 1998. Lindner doesn't know how to hire good baseball people. He wasn't comfortable with Krivisky and went with O'brien, a person who seems overwhelmed by this job and seemingly easily told what to do(he doesn't even put a final say on the draft picks for crying out loud).
    10)Rob Dibble: A real live punk. Really represented a era when the fans didn't care for the players on the field.

Turn Off Ads?