Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baptist minister kicks Democrats out of his church

Baptist minister kicks Democrats out of his church

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/church_politics

WAYNESVILLE, N.C. - A pastor of a small Baptist church led an effort to kick out church members because they didn't support President Bush, members said.

The nine members were voted out at a Monday meeting of the East Waynesville Baptist Church in this mountain town about 120 miles west of Charlotte. WLOS-TV in Asheville reported that 40 other members resigned in protest.

"It's all over politics," said Selma Morris, the church's treasurer. "We've never had a pastor like that before."

Pastor Chan Chandler had told the congregation before last year's presidential election that anyone who planned to vote for Democratic Sen. John Kerry should either leave the church or repent, said Lorene Sutton, who said she and her husband were voted out of the church this week.

"He's the kind of pastor who says do it my way or get out," she said. "He's real negative all the time."

Morris said some church members left after Chandler made his ultimatum in October.

Chandler didn't return a message left by The Associated Press at his home Friday, and several calls to the church went unanswered. He told WLOS that the actions were not politically motivated.

North Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Jerry Meek sharply criticized the pastor Friday, saying Chandler jeopardized his church's tax-free status by openly supporting a candidate for president.

"If these reports are true, this minister is not only acting extremely inappropriately by injecting partisan politics into a house of worship, but he is also potentially breaking the law," Meek said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baptist minister kicks Democrats out of his church

Stuff like this is not what God is about
    Go Gators!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Can I get a pass on calling this pastor a moron? Im about as right wing Christian fundie as they come and I would NEVER EVER welcome a decision like this.

If the pastor has a problem with them, it should be done personally and lovingly like Christ would do.

Stupid and flat out wrong is the kindest thing I can say about what that pastor reportedly did. If I was less kind, I could say much more.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This one isn't very complicated. He's an idiot
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I seldom get into political discussions, but I have two cents...

Too many churches are mixing the most sacred institution Christians have (the church) with the most corrupt institution we have (politics), and it's only a matter of time until a price is paid for that. I disagree with any type of political activism in the church, even that that is much tamer than what this guy did. If more churches spent as much time doing what they should be, and less time trying to get their party's candidate elected, we'd all be much better off.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

ws1990reds

He's obviously not a follower of God, or a teacher of one. Maybe the state of North Carolina needs to vote HIM out. :thumbdown

"He's the kind of pastor who says do it my way or get out," she said. "He's real negative all the time."

Who then selected, or voted him in, to be your pastor?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I seldom get into political discussions, but I have two cents...

Too many churches are mixing the most sacred institution Christians have (the church) with the most corrupt institution we have (politics), and it's only a matter of time until a price is paid for that. I disagree with any type of political activism in the church, even that that is much tamer than what this guy did. If more churches spent as much time doing what they should be, and less time trying to get their party's candidate elected, we'd all be much better off.
    I agree. And both political parties are guilty of this pandering. Organizations like the Christian Coalition did alot to get believers mobilized, which I have no problem with; but you don't politicize the church.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    If I was less kind, I could say much more.
    Im a Christian, but that guy is a religious wacko(to coin Rush Limbaugh)

And yes, there is a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The nine members were voted out at a Monday meeting of the East Waynesville Baptist Church in this mountain town about 120 miles west of Charlotte. WLOS-TV in Asheville reported that 40 other members resigned in protest
    It's more than just this one pastor. Bravo to the Americans that resigned in protest. But I'm confused, who is able to vote? Is it a board, or is it the whole congregation?

and they say religion and politics don't mix

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    It's more than just this one pastor. Bravo to the Americans that resigned in protest. But I'm confused, who is able to vote? Is it a board, or is it the whole congregation?
    It depends on the type of church "government" that that particlaur Baptist church had. If it was congregational in form, then the final vote would be determined by the congregation. But some churches elect elders to oversee/determine such matters.

Most Baptist churches are congregational in organization. The final vote is usually determined by the congregation itself. As long as a congregational church follows its own established policies, the vote of the congregation is final and not subject to being overturned by a secular court.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The North Carolina AG is looking into the matter to see if the church's tax-exempt status has been violated. Religious institutions are eligible to receive tax-exempt status provided they are not affiliated politically. The views of the leadership and/or congregation may be skewed heavily in a particular direction, but the church is forbidden from having a formal policy restricting or barring membership based on political affiliation.

this is the kind of church that would kick Jesus out if he came back today.

Turn Off Ads?