Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Computer Problem

Another Computer Problem

My son is ready to get his driver's license. I hope he doesn't crash the car like he does his computer. :

He is getting this message on reboot...

"NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart".

It stops at this point on the screen and I couldn't go any farther.

I "googled" it and found that this problem is only found with Windows 2000/XP operating systems. My son has XP.

Cause:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
    2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
    3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
    4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
    5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is
    usingf FAT32.
    6. New hard disk drive being added.
    7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
    8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

I've gone into his BIOS and checked what I know as far as boot order, and it is what it's suppose to be.... floppy disk, CD-Rom, SCSI. I even reset the BIOS/CMOS to default settings.

I was able to get it into MS-DOS and run FDISK which went in and fixed several bad clusters and the fact it was misreporting the memory. But that didn't fix the problem.

So I decided to format computer. I've gotten to be an expert at that in this household.

But it won't let me. At least not the way I'm use to doing it....

I don't have an emergency s/u floppy disk for XP, so I used the one I have for win98. That was the only way I could get past this error message into MS-DOS. I then type A:\ format C: /s

It start to format, but stops at 47% and says insufficient memory.

Are there other ways to format that anyone else knows?

Of the above 9 items, and knowing my "tinkering" son, I think it's most likely 3-4-7-8. I've already checked, or can eliminate the other options.

Thanks for any assistance.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ws1990reds

Re: Another Computer Problem

UPDATE: After re-reading your post, it appears that your hard drive is damaged. A trojan could have done this, though it's most likely just wear and tear. If you can't format your harddrive with format.com, then it's time to think about a new hard drive. Still, try deleting the partitions first with fdisk, then doing the format command. Perhaps recreating the primary partition with fdisk will restore the missing boot sector in which NTLDR resides. Best of luck!
    ---------------

GAC, get yourself a floppydisk that has system files on it (i.e., fdisk, format.com). This is to format it without using the XP cd to do so:

- insert and boot to floppy disk
    - boot withOUT cdrom support
    - run fdisk command
    - choose large disk support (assuming you have a large hard drive)
    - view your partition table to confirm that all partitions are there
    - delete all partitions, unless you just want to delete the C:\ partition
    - create a primary partition
    - set it to active mode
    - if you are creating other partitions, then create a logical partition, then off that create some extended partitions. This depends entirely on how many partitions you want. I like using partitons to separate functionality.
    - view parititon table again to ensure it is correct
    - exit fdisk and reboot to floppy disk WITH cdrom support
    - run format.com like this ("format c: /s") without the double quotes
    - format any other partitions (unless you want to do so from within XP, but this time without the /s flag.
    - change to cdrom drive.
    - run setup.exe, or you can just boot to the cdrom drive by leaving your floppy disk out of its drive or changing the boot sequence from within BIOS

This webpage:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unkn...les/12284.aspx

will give you some insight into what this NTLDR business is all about. There could be a number of things wrong at this point. You didn't explain any sympoms (what happens before the PC crashed), so it's hard to say what would cause this NTLDR issue. As of right now I'm inclined to think it could be any of these [* = more likely] (most likely just one of them):

- * trojan destroyed the boot sector of the hard drive
    - your son messed with BIOS
    - * the hard drive is going out (any funny noises such as clicking or grinding? what about much longer than usual load times or choppiness with the mouse cursor?)
    - the processor is going out, since NTLDR makes changes to the processor's memory modes, if the processor is damaged, NTLDR won't be able to work with it.

I hope I have been able to help you.
    Last edited by ws1990reds; 05-07-2005 at 07:22 AM.

When I fixed that problem on one of my computers I used the XP disk to fix it, because that file was either missing or corrupt, the file had to be replaced.

FDISK and Reformating won't fix that problem unless you want to redo your hard drive and reload everything, then of course when you put the op system back on for a clean install it would fix it......too much work for a simple file replacement.

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan

When I fixed that problem on one of my computers I used the XP disk to fix it, because that file was either missing or corrupt, the file had to be replaced.

FDISK and Reformating won't fix that problem unless you want to redo your hard drive and reload everything, then of course when you put the op system back on for a clean install it would fix it......too much work for a simple file replacement.
    That will help in the future, but for the meantime he has already started the process of manual formatting. Likely the operating system has other problems, too, so he might as well start clean.

check to make sure there isn't a floppy in the floppy drive.

It won't let me format guys. I wish I could, cause I could then reload everything. It's get to the 47% range and then says insufficient memory and stops there.

I can get to the XP Setup and type "R" which is suppose to help repair XP. I tell it to format the active partition, which I think it has, and then it starts to reload XP. But it keeps freezing up after it gets about 35% of the files installed.

This all started when we lost power the other night. My son didn't mess with the BIOS because he doesn't even know what it is or how to get into it.

I'm beginning to think it is my hard drive also. It has been gradually acting funny over the last month or so, and reporting insufficient memory. I'm thinking it may have finally puked on me.

It's a Western Digital, model 26400B. It only has about 5 GB of memory. The computer is about 5 years old. So I'm gonna try and find another hard drive that is cost-effective.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-07-2005 at 03:37 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    UPDATE: After re-reading your post, it appears that your hard drive is damaged. A trojan could have done this, though it's most likely just wear and tear. If you can't format your harddrive with format.com, then it's time to think about a new hard drive. Still, try deleting the partitions first with fdisk, then doing the format command. Perhaps recreating the primary partition with fdisk will restore the missing boot sector in which NTLDR resides. Best of luck!
    I can get to the option in XP Setup to delete the partition. But I am unable to format. At least not by A:\ format C: /s

Is there another way to do it? Not familiar with using the format.com.

Do I need an XP boot disk to work in conjunction with my XP CD? I downloaded a XP quick boot file and burned it to a floppy.

Where can I get a floppydisk that has system files on it? What files do I then need? Can I get them from my computer which is also XP?

I'm gona try and give what you list below a shot.

Thanks for your assistance 1990.

GAC, get yourself a floppydisk that has system files on it (i.e., fdisk, format.com). This is to format it without using the XP cd to do so:

- insert and boot to floppy disk
    - boot withOUT cdrom support
    - run fdisk command
    - choose large disk support (assuming you have a large hard drive)
    - view your partition table to confirm that all partitions are there
    - delete all partitions, unless you just want to delete the C:\ partition
    - create a primary partition
    - set it to active mode
    - if you are creating other partitions, then create a logical partition, then off that create some extended partitions. This depends entirely on how many partitions you want. I like using partitons to separate functionality.
    - view parititon table again to ensure it is correct
    - exit fdisk and reboot to floppy disk WITH cdrom support
    - run format.com like this ("format c: /s") without the double quotes
    - format any other partitions (unless you want to do so from within XP, but this time without the /s flag.
    - change to cdrom drive.
    - run setup.exe, or you can just boot to the cdrom drive by leaving your floppy disk out of its drive or changing the boot sequence from within BIOS

This webpage:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unkn...les/12284.aspx

will give you some insight into what this NTLDR business is all about. There could be a number of things wrong at this point. You didn't explain any sympoms (what happens before the PC crashed), so it's hard to say what would cause this NTLDR issue. As of right now I'm inclined to think it could be any of these [* = more likely] (most likely just one of them):

- * trojan destroyed the boot sector of the hard drive
    - your son messed with BIOS
    - * the hard drive is going out (any funny noises such as clicking or grinding? what about much longer than usual load times or choppiness with the mouse cursor?)
    - the processor is going out, since NTLDR makes changes to the processor's memory modes, if the processor is damaged, NTLDR won't be able to work with it.

I hope I have been able to help you.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-07-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    check to make sure there isn't a floppy in the floppy drive.
    I have no problem smacking mods! :

between me and my friends, we've had NTLDR come up 7 times, and have had to replace the hard drive each time.

actually, when i started getting this error message, i kept trying to boot it from the disk and actually caused my hard drive to EXPLODE. the outer case was dented and the interior was burned badly...as a side it also killed my sound card and the ribbons connected to my burner and a-drive.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

ws1990reds

GAC, replace your hard drive. It's the most delicate piece of hardware in a computer. I hope your son didn't lose any valuable data. If you can't format the hard drive using format.com (the "format" command), then your hard drive has damaged sectors. Time to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    so he might as well start clean.
    Yes

I thought that he had fdisk and then reformated his hard drive and partitioned it. After that the XP disk will run the setup creating the new file system and partition etc.......he should be good to go.

GAC,
    XP is not like Win Me, 98, or 95 etc. It has NTFS file system, you should be able to just stick the XP disk in and run it, tell it to do the NTFS and to replace the old, it should wipe out the old when it formats and partitions the NTFS. That should fix your problem. You possibly could have in the beginning gone to the disk and explored it for a new copy of the missing or corrupt file and then copy and pasted a new copy back to where the old one is corrupted, to replace the bad one or missing one.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-07-2005 at 07:06 PM.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...pe=pi#moreinfo

80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive

Manufacturer: Generic

Mfg Part #: L06P080

Product Number: 301730

Was: $94.99
    $39.99 (57% Off)
    SAVE $55 after:
    $55.00 instant savings

EXPIRES TODAY.

80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive

Product Availability:
    Product availability at stores around zip 43203 (Columbus, OH)

Store InformationDistanceAvailabilityAvailable
    For Pick-Up?
    Columbus Easton Superstore
    Columbus, OH 43219 (614) 428-4590 4 MilesOut-Of-StockNoColumbus Superstore
    Columbus, OH 43235 (614) 766-4045 11 MilesIn-StockYes

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Yes

I thought that he had fdisk and then reformated his hard drive and partitioned it. After that the XP disk will run the setup creating the new file system and partition etc.......he should be good to go.

GAC,
    XP is not like Win Me, 98, or 95 etc. It has NTFS file system, you should be able to just stick the XP disk in and run it, tell it to do the NTFS and to replace the old, it should wipe out the old when it formats and partitions the NTFS. That should fix your problem. You possibly could have in the beginning gone to the disk and explored it for a new copy of the missing or corrupt file and then copy and pasted a new copy back to where the old one is corrupted, to replace the bad one or missing one.
    Again, that's if the hard drive isn't damaged. If it has damaged sectors (which in my experience is usually the case when a manual formatting of a partition fails), then it's a no-go. Better safe than sorry with wasted time.

GAC, just get yourself a new hard drive and use the old one as a back-up (since I don't think you need the boot sector when a hard drive is acting as slave).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    actually, when i started getting this error message, i kept trying to boot it from the disk and actually caused my hard drive to EXPLODE. the outer case was dented and the interior was burned badly...as a side it also killed my sound card and the ribbons connected to my burner and a-drive.
    "Uncle Owen! This droid's got a bad motivator!"

Turn Off Ads?