Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Computer Problem

Re: Another Computer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    GAC, just get yourself a new hard drive and use the old one as a back-up (since I don't think you need the boot sector when a hard drive is acting as slave).
    I think that you are right at this point then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, and yes, I think it is the hard drive.

Question: What type of hard drive do I have to purchase? I've been wanting to replace this one anyway and get a bigger one since this one had such limited storage. This one is only 6.44 GB ATA/33 5400 RPM model # AC26400-OORN Western Digital, and after putting XP in it a few months ago it took up alot, and at times, caused the computer to react slowly.

It looks like it's no big deal to replace; but do I have to cross reference this Western Digital and get one that is compatible as far as the hookup/connectors, or does that matter?

I'm assuming it has to be ATA, because the one I have says it's ATA/33, which means the hard drive transfers data at 33MB/Sec. So how do I determine what this computer will support? Can I get an ATA/100?

I'm looking at a Western Digital WD400EB DMA/ATA-100 (ultra). It's an internal 3.5", 5400 RPM 40 GB ATA 100 40 pin/DC. It being an ultra though, will that present a mounting problem?

As far as losing data - that is no big deal because my son didn't really have anything important stored on this computer. Due to it's age, he just used it to play a few video games that he liked and to be able to browse the 'net. So it won't take me long to re-load what he had on there.

As far as installation, do I have to do anything in the BIOS after installing? And once I get it installed, will I then be able to just simply load XP back in? This XP (with Service Pack 2) is a home version upgrade. I think (but not sure) that I have to reload the Win98SE in first, and then do the XP upgrade.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-08-2005 at 07:28 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Question: What type of hard drive do I have to purchase?
    Western Digital

"Old" computers as you use the word, I would go cheap, 40G or less, you have to decide what is right for you. (personal preferences)

It looks like it's no big deal to replace;
    They are easy to replace,
    Check how your current is installed, do you need brackets or not, HD's come with the hardware, make sure your new one does, tighten it in and simply plug the ribbon and power source plug back in.

Make sure you get the jumper pins set correctly on the new HD

but do I have to cross reference this Western Digital and get one that is compatible as far as the hookup/connectors, or does that matter?
    Connectors are standard

I'm looking at a Western Digital WD400EB DMA/ATA-100 (ultra). It's an internal 3.5", 5400 RPM 40 GB ATA 100 40 pin/DC. It being an ultra though, will that present a mounting problem?
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36

for more specific information or questions that you might have.

When you say "old" computer you always make me nervous, some aged computers do have problems in the bios with the newer HD, some may not be that "old" as you use the term losely and if in the past 4-5 years the computer was built it probably won't have any bios problems with it. In the instructions of the new HD, you might run into some ambiguous wording that causes you to error, I think that all you will have to do is make sure that the jumper pins are set correctly (set to MASTER or Single) and then let XP do the rest as far as formating and partitioning, use the NTFS files system.

You can set up your old HD to be a backup or secondary storage by setting it to (Slave) and enabling it in the Bios setup (we set ours to Auto-Master and Slave). If you have the bays to hold it.

As far as installation, do I have to do anything in the BIOS after installing? And once I get it installed, will I then be able to just simply load XP back in? This XP (with Service Pack 2) is a home version upgrade. I think (but not sure) that I have to reload the Win98SE in first, and then do the XP upgrade.
    You should be able to load XP without loading Win98SE. (Clean install)

XP will do a search to see if you have a version, and when it says it cannot find a version, you then place your WinSE98 disk into the CD drive and point to that drive so XP can find your qualifying copy and then XP should begin to load. After XP is installed, then if you have the SP2 disk you load that, then go to Windows updates to see if you need anything more.

Helpful links from Western Digital Tech Info and other.

http://support.wdc.com/download/inde...cxml=n&pid=999
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-08-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Western Digital

"Old" computers as you use the word, I would go cheap, 40G or less, you have to decide what is right for you. (personal preferences)
    I am going to go cheap. I found the exact same HD for $27; but since I am replacing it I want to go slightly bigger. I'd like to find an inexpensive 20 GB WD HD; but looking around the internet at various places I may as well go 40 GB because the cost is not that great in difference.

I'm still shopping around at this point.

If the current is ATA/33 then can I get an ATA100?

They are easy to replace,
    Check how your current is installed, do you need brackets or not, HD's come with the hardware, make sure your new one does, tighten it in and simply plug the ribbon and power source plug back in.
    It looks like it is pretty easy to do. It's mounted in a slide type bracket in conjunction with the CD-ROM (on top). Looks like it has 4 screws to pop it out, then unplug ribbon.

Make sure you get the jumper pins set correctly on the new HD

Yeah. I read where you have to set it to be either primary or master, and since it wil be the only HD I just have to make sure I set it at master.

When you say "old" computer you always make me nervous, some aged computers do have problems in the bios with the newer HD, some may not be that "old" as you use the term losely and if in the past 4-5 years the computer was built it probably won't have any bios problems with it. In the instructions of the new HD, you might run into some ambiguous wording that causes you to error, I think that all you will have to do is make sure that the jumper pins are set correctly (set to MASTER or Single) and then let XP do the rest as far as formating and partitioning, use the NTFS files system.
    The computer, which is not a brand name, was built in 2000-2001.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I was using FAT32 since I had 98SE in it and bought the XP upgrade.

When I get the new HD will it ask me that option between the two types, or will it default to NTFS?

You can set up your old HD to be a backup or secondary storage by setting it to (Slave) and enabling it in the Bios setup (we set ours to Auto-Master and Slave). If you have the bays to hold it.
    Nah. For the use/purpose of this computer, I'm just going with the one HD. So I'll insure the pins are set to master. I shouldn't have to do anything then in the BIOS. But once I am back online I mght "flash" that BIOS to insure it is updated. Good idea?

You should be able to load XP without loading Win98SE. (Clean install)

XP will do a search to see if you have a version, and when it says it cannot find a version, you then place your WinSE98 disk into the CD drive and point to that drive so XP can find your qualifying copy and then XP should begin to load. After XP is installed, then if you have the SP2 disk you load that, then go to Windows updates to see if you need anything more.
    You're right. I had to put the 98 CD in to get it to recognize version, and then the XP CD in to get to XP setup (when I was trying to format it).

So I'll basically have to do the same in order to get it to do a clean install of XP? The XP disk I have says it comes with SP2; but I will still need to run Windows updates.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-08-2005 at 01:06 PM.

I just bought a WD HD WD400 40 GB ATA100 for $15 on Ebay. The mounting specifications are the same as the current one. We'll see what happens.

40 gigs?

Too small
    Go Gators!

i don't think i could survive on 40 gigs.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I barely get by on 240
    Go Gators!

But once I am back online I mght "flash" that BIOS to insure it is updated. Good idea?
    I don't like that question on a older computer. Does that mother board manufacturer still give bios updates for a model that old ?

You should not need to flash the bios, you have to be careful doing that, you can fry the MB....................Flash the bios at your own risk.......

Every other response you made sounds like you have made a great buy and are well on your way. 33/100 ATA as far as I know won't be problem.

When I was reading at WD, it said that you set jumper pins to single instead of master, master they said was used when you are running master and slave drives.

Apparently you have a newer version of XP than I do since you indicate that it includes SP2.

Did you ever upgrade the memory on his computer? give him a bit more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    I don't like that question on a older computer. Does that mother board manufacturer still give bios updates for a model that old ?

You should not need to flash the bios, you have to be careful doing that, you can fry the MB....................Flash the bios at your own risk.......
    Then I ain't gonna do it professor.

Every other response you made sounds like you have made a great buy and are well on your way. 33/100 ATA as far as I know won't be problem.
    I just bought a second one (can't believe I won the bid @ Ebay) for $25. It's a WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar WD200BB 20GB EIDE Hard Drive. I guess it will be a back up unless I decide to install it as a secondary (slave in the computer), which I'm probably not going to do since it's not necessary.

When I was reading at WD, it said that you set jumper pins to single instead of master, master they said was used when you are running master and slave drives.
    You're right. I printed out their page on how to set the jumpers, and I'm gonna only have the one HD.

Apparently you have a newer version of XP than I do since you indicate that it includes SP2.
    I bought it this past winter.

Did you ever upgrade the memory on his computer? give him a bit more speed.
    Yes I did, but it is not reading right. I bought a 256 MB memory to go aong with the two 128's that I had in there. But the memory is only reading in the 300's. I've made sure they are locked in properly, and even taken them out and switched them around to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't seem to. Going from slot 1 thru 3, I have the order - 128, 128, 256. When I get the computer back up and running I'm gonna do so troubleshooting and see which one is not reading right.

Could the HD failing cause this to happen?

Overall - this computer has been a pretty good one. I bought it about 3 years ago for $100. It's networked (wireless) with my computer so my son can browse the 'net. And keeps him from fighting with his other two siblings over getting to use the 2nd computer.

Like I said before - he doesn't store alot on it; but likes to use it primarily to play 2-3 of his fav video games. I put a better graphics card in it a few months ago (GeForce 64 MB) and put more memory in it (above); but this is the same one that I've been trying to get a better processor for. But I think I'm not gonna be able to do that. It has the biggest processor that that motherboard (by Shuttle) will allow. It's the biggest Pentium II - 450 Mhz. And I don't have the knowledge/expertise to be replacing motherboards right now. But knowing my three kids, I'll soon get to that level. Their compter screw ups have helped me to learn alot.

My son starts elctronic/computer training at JVS in Bellefontaine next year (he'll be a Jr), so he can figure out how to do it.

Question on the file systems used....

I know older systems used a FAT16. Then there was FAT32. Now there is NTFS.

Where do I go to see what a computer is using? This computer, which is only 4 months old and has XP, I'm assuming uses the newer NTFS.

But my son's computer (the one that needs the HD), which had 98SE, and which I upgraded to XP, I thought was using FAT32. When I upgarded to XP did it automatically switch to NTFS?

What do I need to know about this when I get this new HD in and are loading XP back in? Right now, I'm thinking I may have to load 98SE back in first, and them do the upgrade to XP (home version). I'm gonna try and load XP first (clean install), but when I was trying to get into the XP Recovery console/Setup while troubleshooting my son's computer over the weekend, I kept getting a message when I had the XP CD in there that it didn't recognize the CD. I put the 98 CD in, which it recognized, and then it told me to put the XP CD in, and from there it went into XP Setup.

To find the file system, double click My Computer on the desktop, then right click the hard drive then click properties..should see it listed under general
    Go Gators!

Could the HD failing cause this to happen?
    I don't think so.

Maybe one of the slots is bad, maybe one of the memory sticks is bad or not in the slot correctly, maybe the bios programming only recognizes memory up to a certain level and does not record higher amounts.

You have a point that you come to during the initial setup of XP where you tell it to convert from FAT32 and to NTFS if I recall correctly. On the new hard drive you tell it to do NTFS and it should partition and format the HD for you.

When you go to recovery console that is where I think the instructions become amibigous, leaving one to guess do I this or do I that, I usually guess wrong and get to learn the lesson twice or more. That console might be where your problems started, or should have been solved but they are not clear on how to use it correctly.....If the computer does not have any valuable files to be saved I just tell XP to reinstall, that formats the drive, checks for bad sectors, partitions it etc.

Have you used WD's diagnostic tools to see if the HD really was failing ? They have a tool that allows you to do a low level format, that is write zeroes and ones to your HD and wipe out everything on it, but they have tools that will tell you more definitively that you can use. I think that you can download them to a disk and then use them on that computer.

You'll do just fine with it and enjoy this next step of exploring the mystery world of the computer......
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-09-2005 at 11:03 AM.

OK. Next question (and different topic).

My son likes this computer game called House Of The Dead. it's made in England.

On this computer, when he tries to install it, he gets the following message....

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNTL.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver fialed DLL initialization. Chose "Close" to terminate application. If we chose "Ignore" then we get where a executable file wouldn't load. Bottomline - the game will not install on this computer. He can play it on his computer, but not this one.

Does the "Virtual Device Driver" refer to the graphics card in this computer, and that it can't handle this game? I put a GeForce in his computer and the game would play (that is until the HD went out ).

What throws me off is that the path above lists Symantec in it. I don;t have any Symantec products on this computer. My Virus Protection/Firewall is provided by Charter and is a company out of Finland called FSecure.

I don;t have any Symantec products on this computer.
    I am not sure what the right answer is about your question, perhaps some of the gamers on here can better inform you, I better yield to the experts this time....the YOUNG and very experienced.......

On the Symantec/Nortons issue I am willing to bet that you have Symnatec/Norton files on the HD in question and in the registry, maybe even file folders in C: drive under programs.

Might need an upgrade from the game manufacturer, not sure.

Turn Off Ads?