Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Computer Problem

Re: Another Computer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    I am not sure what the right answer is about your question, perhaps some of the gamers on here can better inform you, I better yield to the experts this time....the YOUNG and very experienced.......

On the Symantec/Nortons issue I am willing to bet that you have Symnatec/Norton files on the HD in question and in the registry, maybe even file folders in C: drive under programs.

Might need an upgrade from the game manufacturer, not sure.
    My son emailed the company that makes the game and they showed him how to replace those missing files. The game now works for him.

He has hope yet.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My son emailed the company that makes the game and they showed him how to replace those missing files. The game now works for him.

He has hope yet.
    Where there is a will, there's a way. Would he show the same initiatiave to learn how to fix the lawnmower, weedwacker or chainsaw?
    Last edited by RBA; 05-10-2005 at 09:23 PM.

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Where there is a will, there's a way. Would he show the same initiatiave to learn how to fix the lawnmower, weedwacker or chainsaw?
    I am not a natural mechanic. I bought a STIHL F5 46 weedwacker last year, and think I already broke it. When I was using it, it started to get hot (maybe that's normal?) and then started dying on me. A pull or two of the cord started it back up. Finally, it just died. Now I can't pull the cord at all. We don't have much money, and bought the most expensive one we could find.

Anyone on here want to sell me a tiller?

ws1990reds

How in the world do you all use up 40-240 gigs of harddrive space?

I already asked in this thread if someone wanted to sell me a tiller, but now I have another "want ad". Anyone want to sell me a used laptop computer?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I barely get by on 240
    my main drive is 120 gigs, my first slave drive is 80 and my second slave 72...i'm using about 80% capacity now (soon to be less then 1% after i wake up in the morning).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    How in the world do you all use up 40-240 gigs of harddrive space?
    anime, games, research, more research, yet more research, creative writing and ancient arms and armor research.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    anime, games, research, more research, yet more research, creative writing and ancient arms and armor research.
    You need to reduce them Thor pics down to jpeg buddy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by ws1990reds
    I am not a natural mechanic. I bought a STIHL F5 46 weedwacker last year, and think I already broke it. When I was using it, it started to get hot (maybe that's normal?) and then started dying on me. A pull or two of the cord started it back up. Finally, it just died. Now I can't pull the cord at all. We don't have much money, and bought the most expensive one we could find. ?
    In the spring, I always recycle my previous year's gas-oil mixture for 2-cycles and start with fresh gas and fresh oil. I've forgot once and gummed up my weed whacker and spent a Saturday morning cleaning it out.

You were using a gas-oil mixture, weren't you?

What about the warranty?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    In the spring, I always recycle my previous year's gas-oil mixture for 2-cycles and start with fresh gas and fresh oil. I've forgot once and gummed up my weed whacker and spent a Saturday morning cleaning it out.

You were using a gas-oil mixture, weren't you?

What about the warranty?
    I had to do the same thing with my weed whacker this year. I forgot to drain it over the winter and it wouldn't start. So I drained it overnight and put new gas-oil mixture in, along with a new plug, and it fired right up.

I got one of the new HD's in. No problem at all with installation. Also did an initial format. It was breeze. But once I got WIN98SE back in (I have to have 98 in for the XP home version upgrade to install) the computer moved slower then molasses. And it took forever to re-install the basic audio/video drivers.

When I tried to defrag, the computer said it couldn't due to numerous bad clusters. So I tried to fix it with ScanDisk, but to no avail. I assumed it may have bad tier(s) in the HD. So I contacted the guy who I bought the HD off of and he was quite nice and helpful. He gave me a call and using FDisk to remove/create a new partition I got WIN98SE back in it.

Now my problem is geting the XP home version upgrade re-installed. I hit another wall.

I keep getting the message in Setup... "setup cannot copy the file: bootvid.dll"

When I retry it fails.

I got on Microssoft's webiste and found that it is caused by any of the following...

- dirty/damaged CD.
    - PC133 RAM in a computer whose mothreboard requires PC100
    - CD drive going bad.

I checked out the CD (which is new) and cleaned it to be sure.

I did install 256 MB of PC133 RAM in it a couple months ago, while the other is PC100. That could be the reason why it's only reading 320 MBRAM when it should be 512. I have it mix-matched. So I took the PC100 out of my daughter's computer and switched them.

We'll see what happens. I'm in the process now of still doing this all.

I hope it is not the CD drive. I really don't think it is since it installed WIN98SE with no problems.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that it was either a dirty CD or the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I got one of the new HD's in. No problem at all with installation. Also did an initial format. It was breeze. But once I got WIN98SE back in (I have to have 98 in for the XP home version upgrade to install) the computer moved slower then molasses. And it took forever to re-install the basic audio/video drivers.

When I tried to defrag, the computer said it couldn't due to numerous bad clusters. So I tried to fix it with ScanDisk, but to no avail. I assumed it may have bad tier(s) in the HD. So I contacted the guy who I bought the HD off of and he was quite nice and helpful. He gave me a call and using FDisk to remove/create a new partition I got WIN98SE back in it.

Now my problem is geting the XP home version upgrade re-installed. I hit another wall.

I keep getting the message in Setup... "setup cannot copy the file: bootvid.dll"

When I retry it fails.
    :all_cohol :all_cohol :all_cohol

I'm still getting the same error message in the XP setup/installation about not being able to copy files. It has to be a "read" problem, which is either the CD or CD drive. The CD is pretty new and after inspection/cleaning I really can't see anything wrong with it. The CD drive has been in the computer a few years, but it read/installed WIN98SE just fine without any glitches.

So right now I am really at a loss as to what is causing this. XP is a pain in the

I cross one bridge only to hit another wall.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-16-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Are all of your drivers updated from the manufacturer or Microsoft so that your older software or hardware works compatibly with XP ??

That sounds like your CD player isn't working right, that your XP disk is hanging up in it or something. Is the XP disk clean, is it scratched? Try reloading the XP after cleaning it, without doing anything creative, simply tell it to load where you have it presently, and it will wipe out your works and put XP on the new HD.

GAC,
    You're not suppose to use canned beer foam and an air compressor to clean out the disk drives, they have canned air for that.

Turn Off Ads?