Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Old Red Guard

Re: Question about Old Red Guard

Thanks for all the info people!! It sounds like i missed something special seeing as I wasn't around when he was posting. I really appreciate this board and am always interested in hearing the history behind it. Great job btw WOY on posting ORG post. Great stuff....love the sentimental value of things like that.

Thanks again everyone!!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    Is the post still around that announced his passing? I tried to find it but couldn't.
    The thread I was talking about is now in the archive section.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34418

Guys I wished I would have been able to have got to talked to him he sounds like he was a nice guy.Guys he might be gone but by the looks of it you guys learned alot from him.They will never be another ORG but you guys that was lucky enough to have talked to him will care his legacy on.Great job of changing the name of the board im sure he is up there smiling and thanking you guys.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Didn't appreciate him enough when he was still with us. Beautiful stuff.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Didn't appreciate him enough when he was still with us. Beautiful stuff.

Chili,im sure he thought to his self that you guys was the greatest in the world and for you guys to remame your board in his honor speaks volumes believe me.I am on a WV site that lost a long time member like you guys did and im thinking very seriouly to asking the mod to that forum to do the same thing.

This guy that you all are wrighting about is beginning to make me think that I knew him for years.I just wished I could have had the opurtunity to have talked to him b/c he sounds like he was a great man.

You guys are doing a great thing in renaming this board in his honor it shows just how much you guys thought of him and im so glad that I can be a part of this awesome group.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    His family also seems to be class act. RZ also placed a brick on Crosley Plaza in his memory. And his family treated us like we'd given them a million bucks!
    Does anyone know the coordinates of ORG's brick off the top of their head?
    Last edited by Tommyjohn25; 05-08-2005 at 01:40 PM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

buncha commies.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    Does anyone know the coordinates of ORG's brick off the top of their head?
    No, but I'm sure Remdog does as he's the one who honchoed the effort. I do know that it was purchased during the second brick campaign and I THINK it in the terrace area just to the left of the HOF (if you're standing on the street looking at it).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I also saved his posts (as well as others - my own archive). This is my favorite post of his, though. It blends fun, word play and a terrific knowledge of the game. Though I joined this board later on, I've been a member under another s/n which I forgot after a hiatus from the internet. Over the course of 2 years I have my own archive of about 120 of my alltime favorite posts - some snippets from a thread, some the entire thread. ORG appears in 6 that I could find. He didn't seem to post that much, few mundane posts. When he replied to a thread he usually had something valuable to say.

Don Heffner
    posted May 21, 2001 12:51 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Would you care to expostulate on why the Reds let Luis Arroyo depart to the Yankees?
    Why they let Mike Cuellar leave the scene.
    What happened to Mike Caldwell
    Where is Claude Osteen
    What is you present state of mind as to who Dick Sisler should start in the final game of 1964 to face Bunning, I thinkhe's leaning toward John Tsitouris?
    IP: 64.30.206.47

Old Red Gaurd
    posted May 21, 2001 01:28 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Arroyo was released to prepare an excuse for losing the 1961 World Series. This frightening prescience cost Mayo Smith his position as manager which cemented the Reds rapid rise to the top 2 years later under Swami Smith's successor, Fred Hutchinson. Cuellar and Osteen were gems of quality unseen by Reds management at the time - in other words they actually could pitch. Never having seen this phenomena in Cincinnati for a decade, the Reds simply did not believe their own eyes. Used to deceptive chicanery, DeWitt immediately believed his own disbelief and ordered both of them released before they infected the rest of the squad with the belief that they, too, could pitch. Word has it that Ken Raffensbarger actually believed he could for a short while. Caldwell was a giant who briefly turned red before becoming a brewer who was a giant again at least in pitching success. Had he been half the pitcher he was before and after his half season with Reds Cincy would have won a third straight in '77 and Mike would be renowned today in our glorious tradition as one of our best ever. His failure is not unlike the story of the Huns. Conqueror of uncivilized teams but in the Rome which is our 7 Hills he could but fail in the center of such glory.
    Faith in Tsitouris was mainly in Sisler's love of syllabic patronymy thus ignoring the young but single syllabled Jay or double syllabled Ellis, either of whom was prepared to go. But Sisler thought, if things get hot I can always Oh! Henry from the pen or McCool things off if I must. But that fateful day when four teams vied, and only one could be crowned the victor, came Bunning, the first Kentucky headhunter (a mean singer in his own right)to Philly's aid, their cause lost already, vowing to destroy the Red Menace that had so crushed their hopes, and thus, their revenge was our nadir. No Bunning, our Tsitouris, the rout commenced. Shades still walk the vale of that day's tears, I tell you.

IP: 207.192.192.119

oregonredsfan
    posted May 21, 2001 03:57 AM
    Hats off to a truly perspicacious post ORG!
    I think you have left the Heff Bros speechless with your sapient retort.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-09-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake
    Cuellar and Osteen were gems of quality unseen by Reds management at the time - in other words they actually could pitch. Never having seen this phenomena in Cincinnati for a decade, the Reds simply did not believe their own eyes. Used to deceptive chicanery, DeWitt immediately believed his own disbelief and ordered both of them released before they infected the rest of the squad with the belief that they, too, could pitch.
    Thank you for that wonderful post by ORG. The portion I noted above makes it sound as if the move things change, the more they remain the same. Of course now we don't even get quality young pitchers to send elsewhere.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

That was awesome RedlegJake. Thanks a bunch.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake
    I also saved his posts (as well as others - my own archive). This is my favorite post of his, though.
    I am out of rep pts today, but you are going to be getting some from me tomorrow.

Thank you for saving that.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I am out of rep pts today, but you are going to be getting some from me tomorrow.

GL

Same here.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Same here.
    Ditto...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

GL
    There are 8 more!

Turn Off Ads?