Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Your HS in the Top 1000?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Is Your HS in the Top 1000?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

Wyoming and Indian Hill are in the top 100. Pensacola, where I was about to go to college at, was 8th.

Looking currently to see if any in Kentucky and West Virginia are on the list...
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Your HS in the Top 1000?

My HS came in at #853, which I thought was extrememly low. One reason might be that they went off of "the number of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2004 divided by the number of graduating seniors." Their ratio was 1.189.

So if a school has 1200 kids in the graduating class, you're pretty much going to have a lower ratio unless a great majority of those kids in the senior class took an AP test, correct? Basically, this formula penalizes large schools vs smaller schools, is that correct to say?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Well the high school I was supposed to go to came in 4th..but I went somewhere else so that's a hollow victory
    Go Gators!

In big, bold letters, the title of the article says:

"The Complete List of the 1,000 Top U.S. Schools"

Then the first line says:

"Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews"

So I can either assume that

a) No private school was good enough to make the top 1,000

or

b) The title of the article needs to be changed to indicate that this is merely a ranking of the top public schools.

Either way, I think there are a few flaws with the scholar's methodology. There is no possible way that the best place in the entire country to be a high schooler is next door in Alabama...

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Only two schools from West Virginia that I could find. George Washington(Charleston) and Morgantown High.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I think school districts in my area are going to squawk about this survey's methodology. Neither of the two high schools closest to me, both of which produce scores of National Merit Scholars and semi-finalists, made the list. In the same district, which has ~10 high schools, the only school which did make the list is one that is in a declining, lower-income part of the city. I can think of a third public high school in the metro area, which immediately comes to mind when listing local "academically strong" high schools, which is not on this list.
    /r/reds

Any way to search the list?

Wyoming '99 here

The list seems to favor smaller, more exclusive high schools. No surprise that affluent towns and magnet schools fare well.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Mines not... but I've kissed some girls from Indian Hill before.

Summit High School - Summit NJ #148

Monte Vista High School - Danville, CA #568

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Summit High School - Summit NJ #148

Monte Vista High School - Danville, CA #568
    And you drove by Indian Hill on your way to school too.

You is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    And you drove by Indian Hill on your way to school too.

You is smart.
    uh, yeah. that's the ticket.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I probably should've checked the details about this before I spent 10+ pages searching for a private school.

I knew a couple people that went to some of those D.C.-area public schools that were functioning idiots. The methodology on this is almost totally baseless...basically the question is "How are the smartest-of-the-smart kids at X high school performing compared to the smartest-of-the-smart at Y high school?" All the use of AP/IB testing statistics really makes this a humorously worthless study.

Favorite personal "AP" story from high school: The AP Biology final in 1999 was administered the same day Star Wars: Episode I came out (back before anyone realized it was going to suck). A couple friends and I had ditched class a few weeks earlier to get tickets at the oldest theater in downtown DC and, due to the long lines, had only managed to get 3:00 p.m. tickets for opening day.

Well, in order to make it to the theater on time, I figured I had to be on the subway by 2:15 pm, meaning I had to be out of school at 2. The AP Bio exam was supposed to last until 2:30, but I was determined to make it to the movies on time (priorities in high school: slightly skewed). So, at 2pm, I stopped writing in the middle of an essay question, composed a conclusion that consisted of the following statement: I'd write more, but I have opening day tickets to see the new Star Wars movie in one hour. Thanks for reading, and May the Force Be With You! and then walked out of the exam.

Too bad the movie wasn't worth it.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

My HS would be in the top 10 if they were ranking them according to drug use, gang violence, and teenage pregnancies.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?