Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Latest Kearns rumor

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: Latest Kearns rumor

Quote Originally Posted by striker42
    Braves fan here. Brian McCann? Y'all do aim high don't y'all. McCann is among, if not the, best catching prospect in the game. He has 30 HR power, will hit .300 and has been compared to Jason Varitek as far as being a team leader. He's also probably 4th on the Braves list of untouchable prospects.
    Jeff Francoeur- Next face of the franchise
    Andy Marte- Possibly the game's best prospect
    Kyle Davies- Will step into the rotation next year but could do it now if a trade makes it neccesary
    Brian McCann

My guess would be Horacio Ramirez would be the biggest part of a deal. He's also far, far better than Claussen. Frank Robinson compared him to a young Tom Glavine. I don't think he's that good but he's still a very good young lefty. He probably tops out as a very good number 3 starter or a solid number 2. He's also capable of a 3.50 or maybe even lower ERA right now. I would think the Braves would throw in another prospect to sweeten the deal. Macay McBride, lefty who most likely is destined as a dominant lefty reliever, is one. Scott Thorman, lefty first baseman with light tower power, is blocked in the Braves system and could also be an option. McCann for Kearns is a bit much.
    Boy, McCann sounds a lot like Steve Lomasney did in '99 or Kelly Shoppach did in '03.

And the face of your franchise better learn to take a walk more often than once every three weeks.

I think we'll keep a legit big league talent like Kearns, thank you very much.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

2. Turn Off Ads?

My question to you is this. If the Braves are 2 games out of the NL East lead come the trade deadline in July and Kearns is sorely needed, don't you think the Braves would include McCann in a deal? They already have Estrada...
    I think it would be a possibility. Not because of Estrada but because of Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Salty is a big, young power hitting catcher. We're talking 35+ HR power. He's still a ways away and the Braves could stick with Estrada until he's ready but they would much rather have McCann who will be ready to start sometime around the end of 2006 or begining of 2007 than wait another year or two after that for Salty. If McCann isn't traded, Salty would most likely be moved to the outfield or maybe first since McCann is superior behind the plate.

Estrada isn't that young and with the way catchers go, will probably start to decline in a couple of years. The Braves would rather have a replacement lined up by the time Estrada gets expensive than wait for Salty. But, the Braves do have Salty and Estrada and could trade McCann. It would be hard though because McCann is such a great leader. Between him and Francoeur, the Braves clubhouse would be set for years to come.

Salty is a big, young power hitting catcher.
    Tyler Sam Houston says hello.

If I trade Kearns to the Braves these are my targets in order:

1)Brian McCann-AA catcher 21
    2)Kyle Davies-AAA SP 21
    3)Horacio Ramirez-ML SP 26
    4)Kelly Johnson-AAA OF 23
    5)Brayan Pena-AAA C 23
    6)Brady Endl-A+ P 23
    7)Chuck James-A+ P 23

And if I'm DanO I dont sign off till I have at least 2 off this list; and 1 of them has to be #1 or #2. I'm betting our best case scenerio is going to be #3 and #4. Which isn't all that bad, seeing Ramirez would hold down a spot for awhile, but I still hold out for Schurholz give up hopefully Davies and one other.

but I still hold out for Schurholz give up hopefully Davies and one other.
    Don't hold your breath. Davies alone? Long shot. Davies and someone else? Aint gonna happen. It's believed that the Tum Hudson deal would have derailed had Beane asked for Davies. That's how high the Braves rank him. I would believe that Hudson is a good bit more valuable than Kearns so Davies is unlikely.

Chuck James is an interesting one. He's a text book crafty lefty. Compared to a pre-Coors Hampton. He's an interesting one. The guy I'd target if I was your GM is LHP Jake Stevens. He dominated low-A last year at a pretty young age. He's gotten off to a bit of a slow start this year but I have no doubt he'll come around. He has a mid 90's fastball but what sets him apart is his knuckle curve. Kinda like a left handed AJ Burnett. I'd also target RHP Anthony Lerew. He throws 96-97 consistantly with okay off speed stuff. He projects as at least a number 3 starter or an absolutely dominant reliever. He looked very good out of the pen in spring training and could be ready to contribute there by the second half.
    On others on your list. Bryan Pena has great numbers at the plate but he is one terrible catcher. Trust me, you don't want him. He just aint got the glove to play behind the plate. I don't know much on Brady Endl. Not really a top prospect though. Kelly Johnson is another I'd try to squeeze out of the Braves. He has a sweet lefty seing that projects 25 HR power and he can play almost anywhere.

Your most likely scenario of Ramirez and Johnson is actually pretty realistic.

Horacio Ramirez ... probably tops out as a very good number 3 starter or a solid number 2. He's also capable of a 3.50 or maybe even lower ERA right now.
    Under Gullett, that translates to a very poor number 5 starter, capable of a 5.50 or higher ERA.

Any chance we can trade Kearns for Mazzone?

Man this is just awful. I really would like to see the Reds build around Kearns and Dunn....but I suppose we will have to get rid of one or the other. Now I say we should just build around Adam Dunn, which means lock him up to a LTC now!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    Man this is just awful. I really would like to see the Reds build around Kearns and Dunn....but I suppose we will have to get rid of one or the other. Now I say we should just build around Adam Dunn, which means lock him up to a LTC now!
    Don't lose sleep over it... these are just rumors. They went on all winter long and probably will continue until Dunn, Pena, Kearns or Griff are traded. These rumors have very little probability to play out. So don't worry and enjoy Kearns while he's still in the home red.

Wasn't Atlanta really wanting Griffey a little while back?

Sounds like an evil plan, but a good one. Griffey for a left-handed prospect sounds good to me. He doesn't even have to throw left-handed, just be left handed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

McCann, Kyle Davies and another prospect would do it for me.

they are making a HUGE mistake if they trade any of the young of's.

1. they are all great
    2. you cant get enough back to warrant getting rid of them
    3. like mentioned, why trade them now for something that wont help you for 3 years. why not hold onto them for 3 years, then if you need something and can afford to trade them for something else proven, do it then.
    4. yea, lets trade dunn's friend, smart move. now im not advocating keeping players just cause they are friends, but if the player is also good and the friend of your best player, well i would do it.

im now convinced oboring is the dumbest man in baseball. hes killing this team more everyday he is allowed to stay on. i pray that one of these days lindner will open his eyes and sell this team. if he loves cincy as much as he says, then he should want to sell them if he isnt gonna put forth the effort to get a winning team here. as long as you go cheap on gm's and coaches, your team will suck

My guess would be Horacio Ramirez would be the biggest part of a deal. He's also far, far better than Claussen. Frank Robinson compared him to a young Tom Glavine. I don't think he's that good but he's still a very good young lefty. He probably tops out as a very good number 3 starter or a solid number 2. He's also capable of a 3.50 or maybe even lower ERA right now.
    I think Ramirez is one of the more overrated young arms in the game. Again, I just don't see the fascination there.

He's been hurt. He walks a lot of guys. He doesn't have great stuff. To me, he's exactly the kind of arm we should NOT target. I have no doubt that the Braves would be willing to part with him, but I have no desire to see him in a Reds uniform.

What about Kearns for Denny Bautista (KC)?

Quote Originally Posted by klw
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3601644

From Ken Rosenthal's latest posting. It mentions the Braves, Royals, and Nationals as interested. Griffey blurb leads the piece with Kearns section a few paragraphs down.
    '

the second a team offers anything for griffey, oboring better pull the trigger. dont wait for a better offer, he may get hurt, just get his contract off our books. i like jr, and hes playing well, but its just a matter of time. and we need our young of's playing.

The Reds will trade AK and watch him become an all star for the next ten years. Stupid idea!
    Hope Springs Eternal

Turn Off Ads?