Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Latest Kearns rumor

Re: Latest Kearns rumor

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    What about Kearns for Denny Bautista (KC)?
    Bautista was had for Jason Grimsley last year. Where was was the Reds FO then?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Originally posted by RDriesen16
    the second a team offers anything for griffey, oboring better pull the trigger. dont wait for a better offer, he may get hurt, just get his contract off our books. i like jr, and hes playing well, but its just a matter of time. and we need our young of's playing.
    The Reds would probably have to absorb most of Junior's salary and if they do that, they might as well benefit from him while he is healthy.

McCann, Kyle Davies and another prospect would do it for me.
    Dream the impossible dream. That aint gonna happen. I have trouble seeing Davies being on the table and if he is he would be the only thing in the trade. Adding McCann to a deal and another prospect would be something the Mets would do, not the Braves.

As for Horacio Ramirez. I think you guys are underestimating him. He walks a lot of guys but that wont last. Ramirez walks batters because he nibbles, not because of control issues. He actually has amazing control and it's been said that he has control he hasn't even shown yet because he's sacrificing it for a little better stuff. The Braves would love to see him scale back a little and use that control which is Glavine like. Glavine is actually a pretty good comparison. Glavine never had spectacular stuff. A fastball that hits 90 and a spectacular changeup were his main weapons. HoRam has similar stuff. His fastball is probably better because of the excellent sinking action it gets and he has a changeup that as ESPN says "adds a foot to his fastball". His walk rate is high but they aren't that worrisome. When HoRam gets runners on, he buckles down and throws some excellent pitches. The kind of stuff he's capable of. With runners on this year he has a .164 BAA, last year it was .191. The walks won't persist though. As HoRam matures, he'll get more and more aggressive and you'll see that walk rate fall. His control is just too good for that walk rate to continue. You gotta remember that HoRam is only 25 and that he was only 23 when he broke into the majors from AA. He's still being polished. You could actually do a lot worse than HoRam.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by striker42
    Don't hold your breath. Davies alone? Long shot. Davies and someone else? Aint gonna happen. It's believed that the Tum Hudson deal would have derailed had Beane asked for Davies. That's how high the Braves rank him. I would believe that Hudson is a good bit more valuable than Kearns so Davies is unlikely.
    In that case, have fun watching Raul Mondesi and Brian Jordan all summer...until they get injured at least.

Do you want to go to the playoffs for the 15th straight year, or do you want to build a great AAA team?
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

It's not like Kearns-or-nothing is the choice. There are 28 other teams out there. If I'm the Braves, I'd think I could land something good without giving up Davies.

As for Horacio Ramirez. I think you guys are underestimating him. He walks a lot of guys but that wont last. Ramirez walks batters because he nibbles, not because of control issues. He actually has amazing control and it's been said that he has control he hasn't even shown yet because he's sacrificing it for a little better stuff. The Braves would love to see him scale back a little and use that control which is Glavine like. Glavine is actually a pretty good comparison. Glavine never had spectacular stuff. A fastball that hits 90 and a spectacular changeup were his main weapons. HoRam has similar stuff. His fastball is probably better because of the excellent sinking action it gets and he has a changeup that as ESPN says "adds a foot to his fastball". His walk rate is high but they aren't that worrisome. When HoRam gets runners on, he buckles down and throws some excellent pitches. The kind of stuff he's capable of. With runners on this year he has a .164 BAA, last year it was .191. The walks won't persist though. As HoRam matures, he'll get more and more aggressive and you'll see that walk rate fall. His control is just too good for that walk rate to continue. You gotta remember that HoRam is only 25 and that he was only 23 when he broke into the majors from AA. He's still being polished. You could actually do a lot worse than HoRam.
    With the way he doesn't miss bats, I hope he doesn't get aggressive. He'll get slugged right out of here.

Seriously, we don't need anymore "pitch to contact" guys, especially if it's in a deal for Kearns. I want someone that strikes guys out, that has some kind of out pitch. I don't want anymore guys that average 4-5 K/9 and walk 3-4/9 and rely on hitters getting themselves out. If we have a veteran like that, fine, but I don't want a young arm like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RDriesen16
    i pray that one of these days lindner will open his eyes and sell this team. if he loves cincy as much as he says, then he should want to sell them if he isnt gonna put forth the effort to get a winning team here. as long as you go cheap on gm's and coaches, your team will suck
    I believe that Lindner can, and will, be the owner we all hope he will be. I don't think that O'Brien has shown that he can be a good GM in baseball. A good number 2 man perhaps, but good number 2 men don't always make good general managers. I believe the first step in turning this front office around is to replace John Allen with someone who has a bit more baseball knowledge. Someone who is a good businessman as well as a good baseball person. Someone like Johnny Bench or Joe Morgan perhaps.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

In that case, have fun watching Raul Mondesi and Brian Jordan all summer...until they get injured at least.

Do you want to go to the playoffs for the 15th straight year, or do you want to build a great AAA team?
    First off, for Davies and McCann, the Braves could do far, far better than Kearns. That would be a bigger package than the one for Hudson and Hudson is better than Kearns. If the Reds are holding out for a package like that for Kearns, he won't be traded. No team would be dumb enough, except perhaps the Mets, to give that kind of package for Kearns. I like Kearns but Davies and McCann is just ridiculous. You're talking about perhaps the game's best catching prospect and a top 10 pitching prospect, both in the top 40-50 prospects in baseball for Kearns. I'd rather watch Mondesi and Jordan than give up those guys.

Also, the Braves are not devoid of other options.
    1. Kelly Johnson- Tearing up AAA. Could probably be at least major league average or the lefty part of a great platoon right now.

2. Ryan Langerhans- Another lefty. Not as good as Johnson but probably major league average too. Or, like Johnson, part of a platoon.

3. Andy Marte- The Braves could move Chipper back to the outfield and put the game's best prospect at third. Possibly a David Wright like rookie year.

4. Another trade option- For that package, the Braves could get Huff and probably get the Rays to throw in another player such as Julio Lugo to replace Furcal after this year. They could get Carlos Lee for from the Brewers for probably either of those prospects. The Pirates probably have some guys the Braves could get without either of McCann or Davies. The Rockies have Preston Wilson. Detroit also has a player or two the Braves could get. It's not like Kearns is the only option. He's probably the best fit for the Braves but not at the cost of Davies and McCann.

Remember, John Schuerholz is the Braves GM and rarely does he get cheated. He doesn't overpay for players and would sooner stick with Mondesi and Jordan or Johnson and Langerhans than give in to panic and sell the farm for Kearns.

I believe that sums it up. I have been pointing out for a while that if the Reds trade any of the three OFs they will not be happy with the haul.

Look no farther then what Beltran got the Royals last year, a group of middling prsopects. I realize he was a rent-a-player but he was the best one to come along in recent memory. They did better when they traded Grimsley than what they got for Beltran.

The ideal deal would be trade off expendable pieces and maybe you get lucky. The Dodgers are loaded with young pitching prospects(Jackson, Billingsley, Tiffany, Miller, Broxton,etc) and a couple of cacthing prospects.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    The ideal deal would be trade off expendable pieces and maybe you get lucky. The Dodgers are loaded with young pitching prospects(Jackson, Billingsley, Tiffany, Miller, Broxton,etc) and a couple of cacthing prospects.
    Maybe we come to the Dodgers asking for Navarro and Tiffany.

Heck, maybe we find a way to get Jackson and Navarro. That might be better if Jackson could help immediately. He's struggling (again), so maybe that makes him easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by RDriesen16
    '

the second a team offers anything for griffey, oboring better pull the trigger. dont wait for a better offer, he may get hurt, just get his contract off our books. i like jr, and hes playing well, but its just a matter of time. and we need our young of's playing.

Rd you seem to forget griffey is a 10/5 guy and isn't going anywhere unless he wants to.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

First off, for Davies and McCann, the Braves could do far, far better than Kearns. That would be a bigger package than the one for Hudson and Hudson is better than Kearns. If the Reds are holding out for a package like that for Kearns, he won't be traded. No team would be dumb enough, except perhaps the Mets, to give that kind of package for Kearns. I like Kearns but Davies and McCann is just ridiculous. You're talking about perhaps the game's best catching prospect and a top 10 pitching prospect, both in the top 40-50 prospects in baseball for Kearns. I'd rather watch Mondesi and Jordan than give up those guys.

Also, the Braves are not devoid of other options.
    1. Kelly Johnson- Tearing up AAA. Could probably be at least major league average or the lefty part of a great platoon right now.

2. Ryan Langerhans- Another lefty. Not as good as Johnson but probably major league average too. Or, like Johnson, part of a platoon.

3. Andy Marte- The Braves could move Chipper back to the outfield and put the game's best prospect at third. Possibly a David Wright like rookie year.

4. Another trade option- For that package, the Braves could get Huff and probably get the Rays to throw in another player such as Julio Lugo to replace Furcal after this year. They could get Carlos Lee for from the Brewers for probably either of those prospects. The Pirates probably have some guys the Braves could get without either of McCann or Davies. The Rockies have Preston Wilson. Detroit also has a player or two the Braves could get. It's not like Kearns is the only option. He's probably the best fit for the Braves but not at the cost of Davies and McCann.

Remember, John Schuerholz is the Braves GM and rarely does he get cheated. He doesn't overpay for players and would sooner stick with Mondesi and Jordan or Johnson and Langerhans than give in to panic and sell the farm for Kearns.

prospects are what they are untill they prove themselves at the major league level. brandon larson was all world in the minors but sucked when given his shot in the majors. look at brandon claussen he was the yankees #1 or 2 pitching prospect. that didn't turn out well at all either. kearns when healthy has proven he can produce at the major league level. while i know the braves prospects are highly rated that means nothing untill they do it on the field.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

prospects are what they are untill they prove themselves at the major league level. brandon larson was all world in the minors but sucked when given his shot in the majors. look at brandon claussen he was the yankees #1 or 2 pitching prospect. that didn't turn out well at all either. kearns when healthy has proven he can produce at the major league level. while i know the braves prospects are highly rated that means nothing untill they do it on the field.
    But on that logic, the Mariners should trade Felix Hernandez for John Thomson because Thomson is a proven major leager while Hernandez isn't. Only the Mets make those kind of deals (ie Kazmir for Zambrano). McCann and Davies for Kearns would be the same thing.

McCann and Davies may both turn out to be nothing but you don't run your club on those fears. If the Braves did that guys like Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Marcus Giles, Rafael Furcal, and Adam LaRoche would not be in Atlanta today. The potential of McCann and Davies along with their liklihood of fulfilling it makes them worth more than Kearns.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

But on that logic, the Mariners should trade Felix Hernandez for John Thomson because Thomson is a proven major leager while Hernandez isn't. Only the Mets make those kind of deals (ie Kazmir for Zambrano). McCann and Davies for Kearns would be the same thing.
    Absolutely. Very well said.

The potential of McCann and Davies along with their liklihood of fulfilling it makes them worth more than Kearns.
    I don't agree with that at all. I don't think their "liklihood of fulfilling it" is all that great. I don't see either of them as can't miss stars like Chipper, Andrew Jones, Furcal...or even guys like Felix Hernandez and David Wright. They're good prospects, but they aren't guaranteed superstars.

I'll take the sure thing in Austin Kearns. If the Reds can't see that he's a sure thing and a building block, that's a problem they have to live with...but I wouldn't be trading him at less than full value. Judge the talent & ability, not the perceived value.

I think there's a sizable chance that Kearns' value will never be lower than it is in May of 2005, and at the same time, McCann and Davies' value may never be higher than it is right now.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan
    Rd you seem to forget griffey is a 10/5 guy and isn't going anywhere unless he wants to.
    no i dont. i think he will agree if its to a team that will be in the playoffs

Turn Off Ads?