Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new reputation system on Redzone

Re: The new reputation system on Redzone

Hey PAC, you've increased your initial total by more than I have since the new system started, and I just gave you some more points. You're doing fine.
    Right now I'm finding it almost impossible not to be totally negative on the baseball side.
    Hang in there.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm not sure i understand the problem. you are a newb, but the discussion on reds live is every bit as good as on ORG, and sometimes better. stop worrying about making "the show" and concentrate on making a contribution.

Relax, it's just a message board.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Exactly, it's just a message board, so why is everyone so up tight about "quality over quantity?" Let people have their fun (within the rules). Some people are here b/c it's the only place they can discuss the Reds, to be part of a "community" so to speak. If they want to post, just to say something, w/o in-depth analysis, it should be encouraged. Those people shouldn't necessarily then complain about the setup, something I have chosen to live with. I simply am pointing out some observations and quirks I believe exist within the system. Is bandwidth a problem here, was that one of the reasons behind the switch? I don't know, just asking?

TRF, first you call him a newb, something all newcomers love to hear, then to stop worrying, but then he has to "concentrate on making a contribution." And finally you tell him to relax. Which is it? Can he be here for fun? I am not attacking you, just pointing out some inconsistent messages. The system here is what it is, and I understand you are addressing his questions to that. The veterans here, tell people not to worry, but then unknowingly jab the the people not in the Red Guard group with the "minor leaguer" tag or "you'll get called up someday, don't worry about it." Well people like to belong, and for some they may feel like they are being pushed to the outside under this system. I am just pointing out some observations I have made regarding this rather unique system.

It is my experience on message boards that reputation is known by those who frequent the board and reputation can earned by those who are new, not through a system, but through knowledge and board attendance (for lack of better word). Those who buck the rules by flaming or trolling are quickly found out and deleted and then banned.

Hopefully none of this is seen as an attack, merely stating an opinion and some observations I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Relax, it's just a message board.
    bada-bing, and there it is, folks...we have a winner.
    yes, this is just a message board. this is not a career, this is not life nor death, this is not love nor marriage - this is entertainment. in fact, this is a form of entertainment in which we discuss another form of entertainment.
    i joined only a few months ago as a form of relaxation...as a way to get away from it all. That, and my love for The Reds.
    has the new system decreased my relaxation - heck no. has it decreased my enjoyment of this site - heck no. has it decreased my love for The Reds - heck no...a 30 game losing streak could not do that, as they are MY REDS, and have been for a few decades.
    i see too many worry about gaining points...and as has been pointed out in another thread, perhaps the post quality has improved a bit because of it.
    i think it is fine for an exclusive forum - and it is nice to be able to peak in on it occassionally. but, one should not be obsessed with attempting to gain a key for that room. it will only decrease your enjoyment of the site.

Exactly, it's just a message board, so why is everyone so up tight about "quality over quantity?"
    Maybe because there are 2,271 members?

Maybe because there are 2,271 members

Isn't that a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by bucknutdet
    Maybe because there are 2,271 members

Isn't that a good thing?
    If you prefer quanity over quality.

Personally I don't.

So it's bad to have that many members?

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman
    The thing that puzzles me is that I never said nothing bad to anybody or wrote a bad post but I still get points taken away.
    Some folks might be catching up on their reading and have found some of your earlier gems. Click on 'User CP' on the red menu bar (beneath the thread title) and you will find a list of the your most recent reputation changes. It very well could be that someone just read one of your rants from a week ago.

I would also like to echo that 'being positive' doesn't really mean a whole lot to me. I'd much rather read a negative post with some meat to it that a vapid post with a positive spin. I pretty much ignore one line posts of both the positive and negative variety, and I abhor outright groveling for reputation points. We are here to talk baseball, not get into a scrum for some imaginary reward.

Everyone has their own standards for awarding reputation points. I try to give positive points to posts that (1) required a great deal of time & research or (2) generate a lot of quality discussion or (3) raise a new issue or shed a new light on an existing one. The only time I 'negativize' a poster is when he/she attacks other posters, moderators, or the folks who keep this site up & running.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    and I abhor outright groveling for reputation points.
    And here I thought I was the only one... (sorry, RL ).
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

So it's bad to have that many members?
    No, having no non human process to thin out the noise is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    And here I thought I was the only one... (sorry, RL ).

Hey!!!

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

No doubt about that. Has this new process done away with moderators deleting posts or banning trolls? I have found that good moderation makes for a great board. Moderation which enforces the stated rules yet allows for quite a bit of discussion, debate, confrontation, back & forth. Also veterans who are well respected and know the rules are able to call out the posters or posts who are breaking the rules. Even without the system, the people who come here often, probably know who has a good reputation and those who don't? Correct? Anyway..... Go Reds.

Cruisin' for trouble

The one complaint that I would lodge is in regards to negative points given. IMO, these should be treated with the utmost thought and care as has been stated by Caveat and Steve4192. If a poster feels strongly about a particular post and chooses to 'ding' it, I would suggest that that poster should also have their username attached to the ding. At the very least it would give the poster who received the ding to find out why the ding was given instead of reading either no comments or sarcastic comments attached to the post.

Just my opinion...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No doubt about that. Has this new process done away with moderators deleting posts or banning trolls? I have found that good moderation makes for a great board. Moderation which enforces the stated rules yet allows for quite a bit of discussion, debate, confrontation, back & forth. Also veterans who are well respected and know the rules are able to call out the posters or posts who are breaking the rules. Even without the system, the people who come here often, probably know who has a good reputation and those who don't? Correct? Anyway..... Go Reds.
    I think the results speak for themselves. The baseball discussion on the board is robust, interesting, and has genuinely expanded my baseball knowledge. I look like a genius at the ballpark with my friends just from quoting some of the stats and observations people on here research and make.

Scroll back 3-4 weeks back on the ORG forum and see how bad it was getting. I was barely coming around before that (dropping in for a post or two). Since things have gotten cleaned up, I've been reading more threads that have made me want to post and contribute...and I don't think my experience has been atypical.

What the reputation system has done is create accountability, and it's done an excellent job. There are a few minor kinks with the negatizing to be worked out, but on the whole, it's been an excellent switch.

And that's to say NOTHING of the fact that there are now two Reds message boards with great content...
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?