Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC Basketball takes a step back...

UC Basketball takes a step back...

This is going to be another embarrassing chapter in the never ending saga of the Thuggins recruiting model. I have a hard time believing that this could have taken Huggins by surprise.

From today's enquirer article on UC's offseason...

According to the report, Bright "pulled a .32-caliber Iver Johnson revolver from his right pocket and the revolver was fired. The arrested, Roy Bright, is not sure if he fired the weapon or if the weapon was dropped and discharged. After the revolver was fired, Mr. Bright placed the weapon back into his pocket."

Huggins dismissed Bright immediately after Bright confirmed that he had been in possession of a firearm on campus.

"Huggins stepped right up to the plate," Goin said. "He knows our guidelines."
    That's so reassuring...glad to know the bar is set so high.

Here is the entire article.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: UC Basketball takes a step back...

It will be interesting to see what other D-I program will gladly except Mr. Bright into their waiting arms. The NCAA should have at least a 1-year "no can play" rule for incidents like this if he is found guilty. Instead... I assume that the guy will be given love elsewhere and will learn next-to-nothing from his stupidity b/c of his basketball abilities. A story written many a-times in the NCAA.

Retired

They lost Vincent Banks as well, he left the program for "personal reasons". We are going to get killed next year in the Big East.

"The arrested, Roy Bright, is not sure if he fired the weapon or if the weapon was dropped and discharged."

I'm going to steal a line from my father-in-law. I'll warn y'all ahead of time - it's bad.

Ahem:

They should call him "Notso".

As far as who might take him...Eddie Sutton is holding on line 2.

Roy Bright, you have embarrassed my school.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Why is everyone always so surprised? When you recruit thugs, this is what inevitably happens. How anyone, even UC grads, can support that program is totally beyond me.

What's unbelievable to me is that everyone seems to just be glossing over this:

Huggins dismissed Bright immediately after Bright confirmed that he had been in possession of a firearm on campus.
    What exactly has Huggins done wrong? It sounds to me like he handled the situation perfectly.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    What's unbelievable to me is that everyone seems to just be glossing over this:

What exactly has Huggins done wrong? It sounds to me like he handled the situation perfectly.
    I think it's the fact that he recruited a player who was carrying and firing guns on campus in the first place.

It'd be one thing if this was an isolated incident. It's not.

Yes, but it's an isolated incident with Mr. Bright. As far as I know, he had no other prior arrest record or troubles.

Yes, but it's an isolated incident with Mr. Bright. As far as I know, he had no other prior arrest record or troubles.
    Well, it's one heck of an isolated incident, if you ask me. He could have killed someone.

Look, I suppose it is possible that he could have decided on a whim to carry a gun, but somehow this does not seem to be a decision that lends itself to spontanaity. One has to have access to a gun, or has to purchase it...it's not a pair of chinos- it's a handgun. Either way, I doubt he woke up and thought, "Nice day, I think I'll pack heat."

My point is not that Bright is a career criminal. Rather, he is just another in a series of kids recruited by Huggins who seem to have this propensity for ending up at the Justice Center. Donald Little, Ruben Patterson, Art Long, Dontonio Wingfield, Robert Whaley, Erik Hicks...the list of arrests does not seem to be abating. You may say that Huggins can't be their parent, but I'd say it doesn't take the instincts of Kreskin to know whether a kid is a good egg or a bad one.

You may say that Huggins can't be their parent, but I'd say it doesn't take the instincts of Kreskin to know whether a kid is a good egg or a bad one.
    If Huggins didn't take chances on "bad eggs" the Bearcats would win around 10 games a year. Have you been to UC's campus? It's not quite as pretty as Duke. And the school falls a bit shy in the academic department as well.

And yet the Bearcats consistently have the best college basketball program in Ohio, better than Xavier, better than Dayton, better than OSU. Despite all three of those schools attractiveness to potential recruits (especially Xavier and OSU).

Nobody ever talks about the "bad eggs" that Huggins turns around - even though there are plenty.

I guarantee you that all of the players you listed would have played DI college basketball somewhere if UC had passed on them. Why shouldn't Huggins take chances on troubled kids and try to change their lives? You have no clue what these kids have gone through in their lives, but there you are, ready to condemn.

It's going to be hilarious when Huggins leaves UC and the program turns back into crap, just like it was before he came. I wonder what all of his detractors will say at that point?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Excellent post RF, I agree 1000%. There are plenty in this thread that a story like this just makes their day, being the typical haters (fans of other programs) that they are. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I could pull up a rap sheet for any other school that is represented in this thread but choose not to because it's pointless. College kids make mistakes, sometimes bad mistakes (domestic violence, DUI). This may come as a shock but it even happens at the hallowed grounds of the universities that the rest of you on this thread support. I know, I know, it happens more at UC, blah blah blah, save it.

And yet the Bearcats consistently have the best college basketball program in Ohio, better than Xavier, better than Dayton, better than OSU. Despite all three of those schools attractiveness to potential recruits (especially Xavier and OSU).
    Them's fightin' words there.

First, what do you mean by "best college basketball program in Ohio"? In terms of what? Consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament? If that's your sole qualification then yes, UC would be considered best. But I hardly think it stops there. Let's talk about fan support, where UC is average at best. Ohio State and Dayton both consistently outdraw UC, which plays in one of the worst college basketball arenas in the Midwest. In fact, there is even talk about replacing Fifth Third Arena and it's not even 20 years old.

UC continues to live off that fluke Final Four in 1992, but they haven't come close to duplicating that feat since. Just within Ohio, OSU has been to the Final Four more recently (1999), Xavier and Kent St. have both been to the Elite 8 more recently (2004 and 2002 respectively), and even my Flyers have been to the NCAA championship game more recently (1967). Saying UC is the "best" in Ohio is debatable. Every other year, when they lose to XU, they aren't even best in Cincinnati.

As for "attractiveness to potential recruits," XU, Dayton and UC don't go after the same type player. XU and UD recruit student athletes, UC recruits athletes. And it's not like these UC players were alter boys in high school, wasn't it Dontonio Winfield who was still welcomed at UC even after he was arrested for hitting his own mother?

Finally, (defending my Flyers here), the little dig at UD not being as attractive as OSU and XU to recruits, UD still managed to nab what some publications tabbed the No. 16 best recruiting class in the nation last year and the Ohio Player of the Year. Not bad. I'm very excited with what Brian Gregory is doing with the Flyer basketball program and can't wait for basketball season to start again.

If Huggins didn't take chances on "bad eggs" the Bearcats would win around 10 games a year. Have you been to UC's campus? It's not quite as pretty as Duke. And the school falls a bit shy in the academic department as well.

Nobody ever talks about the "bad eggs" that Huggins turns around - even though there are plenty.

I guarantee you that all of the players you listed would have played DI college basketball somewhere if UC had passed on them. Why shouldn't Huggins take chances on troubled kids and try to change their lives? You have no clue what these kids have gone through in their lives, but there you are, ready to condemn.

It's going to be hilarious when Huggins leaves UC and the program turns back into crap, just like it was before he came. I wonder what all of his detractors will say at that point?

I went to UC. It's not as bad as a lot of schools that have good programs. And XU is in Evanston. How that rates as a more attractive neighborhood is a little puzzling to me.
    But I understand the point- he does take chances on guys.

I don't appreciate being labeled a UC hater for pointing this stuff out. Honestly, could care less if the program is the best or worst in the state. I want the students to represent the university well and the pool that Huggins dips from just doesn't seem to do that.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 05-11-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Turn Off Ads?