Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

I have wondered for several years why no NFL coach ever dresses up on the sidelines anymore, and now I know why. I was aware that the league had a deal with clothing suppliers like Reebok for coaches and players to wear certain stuff, but I didn't know that the rule was enforced across the board.

So much for class, money is the name of the game.

Remember a year or two ago when Jon Kitna was fined for wearing a cap not supplied by Reebok in postgame interviews? Don't get me wrong, if the NFL signed the deal, then they should honor the terms. What I fault them for is signing such a restrictive deal in the first place. If coaches want to show some class on the sidelines instead of wearing a baggy gray sweatshirt or a gaudy striped-up pullover, they should be allowed to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nolan's goal to dress up shot down
    By Skip Wood, USA TODAY

New San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan may yet one day be able to pace the sideline in a shirt and tie like daddy did, but not this season — if at all.

Although Nolan recently expressed a desire to honor his father by dressing similar to the way Dick Nolan often did while coach of the 49ers from 1968-75, the league replied that would be a no-no under the apparel agreement it has with Reebok.
    Says Reebok vice president of team properties Eddie White: "One way of looking at it is Mike Nolan is our runway model."

Toward that end, league coaches and anyone else on the sideline are required to wear garments (except pants) from Reebok, which began supplying all teams with sideline apparel in 2002 as part of a 10-year exclusive-rights agreement for a reported $250 million.

So why not wear an officially licensed sweater vest over a shirt and tie, the way some coaches have done in the past?

"Because he'd have to wear a dress shirt," White says, "and we don't make dress shirts."

Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice ceased the practice following the 2003 season at the request of the league.

Although the 49ers already have this season's line of clothing designed, Reebok and the league might come up with a compromise or some other solution for 2006.

From NFL director or corporate communications Brian McCarthy: "We're exploring that, yes. We're exploring any number of options."

Adds White: "The good thing for Coach (Nolan) is that he's so good looking, he's going to look good whatever he wears."

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

Vince would turn over in his grave.

Re: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

Why don't they have him wear a "49ers" tie?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

So if Reebok didn't make underwear, would coaches have to go without?
    /r/reds

The NFL is stricter than the clerics in Iran when it comes to dress code. Coaches should be able to wear pretty much whatever they want short of a two piece swimsuit.

For a Level Playing Field

I wonder if the Reebok Marketing VP is salivating right now?

* Reebok NFL Licensed Dress Shirts. Wear your team to work today!
    * Reebok NFL Licensed Dress Shirts. Sunday mornings at church before your team plays? Show your spirit in church.

I miss the suit look, it was classy.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I wonder if the Reebok Marketing VP is salivating right now?

* Reebok NFL Licensed Dress Shirts. Wear your team to work today!
    * Reebok NFL Licensed Dress Shirts. Sunday mornings at church before your team plays? Show your spirit in church.
    Dont forget the Reebok NFL Licensed Cross Hat for Jon Kitna.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I've heard stories that when Belicheck wears a sweater on Game day, sales of it spike dramatically on Monday.

Also heard that w/ Bob Stoops in Oklahoma and Bobby Bowden in Florida State. When they change their wardrobe people notice and respond with their pocketbooks.

That sort of thing does not go unnoticed.

Nothing other than $$$ related. Money pays the bills folks, whether we like it or not.

The NFL sometimes drives me nuts. I suppose if they were around today, Tom Landry could no longer be on the sidelines in his tie and funny hat, and the guy the NFL named the Super Bowl after couldn't be in a jacket and tie either (I bet Lombardi would've had something to say about this).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If I were Mike Nolan, I'd wear the suit and tie anyway. If the NFL chooses to fine him, then I'd tell the commish: "I'll start wearing these ridiculous getups on the sideline the day you (Tagliabue) conduct a press conference in NFL-brand warmups as well."

Call me old-school, but I think it's a disgrace that the NFL encourages the head coach of the Super Bowl champions to dress like a homeless man looking for his shopping cart on Sundays while simultaneously telling other coaches they can't choose to present a professional appearence.

I used to the think baseball was goofy for letting the old men who were managers wear uniforms in the dugout (Honestly, why does Jack McKeon need to wear a uniform w/ a number? Is he going to put himself in at 3rd in a double switch one night?), but Football has them beat by a longshot.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor

I used to the think baseball was goofy for letting the old men who were managers wear uniforms in the dugout (Honestly, why does Jack McKeon need to wear a uniform w/ a number? Is he going to put himself in at 3rd in a double switch one night?), but Football has them beat by a longshot.
    Just think of how goofy NBA coaches would look if pro basketball followed major league baseball's example and had its coaches wear uniforms.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Just think of how goofy NBA coaches would look if pro basketball followed major league baseball's example and had its coaches wear uniforms.
    Don't Think, Just see for yourselves..

Larkin is a First-Ballot HOFer in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    As I understand it, MLB doesn't require managers to wear uniforms, but the rule is that if a manager walks onto the field of play during a game then he has to be in uniform.

If you've seen any Red Sox games, I've never seen Terry Francona in a Sox jersey, he's always wearing a sweater or pullover.

I may be wrong however, wouldn't be the first time.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I miss the suit look, it was classy.
    I guess this is why Dan Reeves started his "Casual Friday" attire a few years ago??? He, too, was a sharp dresser when he coached in Denver

Turn Off Ads?