Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

Re: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

Here's an update to this story, that's now 18 months old. It's a good first step, but doesn't go far enough...

Dress to impress: Nolan, Del Rio get OK to wear suits

Mike Nolan and Jack Del Rio are ready to suit up.

The San Francisco coach and his Jacksonville counterpart have the NFL's permission to wear dress suits designed by Reebok during two games this season.

Nolan is expected to debut his old-school outfit -- a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold-striped tie -- at the 49ers' home game against Seattle on Sunday. Del Rio also will wear a suit-and-tie ensemble in Monday night's home game against the Giants.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the 49ers coach has permission to "test-drive" the suit at two games this season.

"Working with Reebok, they were able to come up with something that should work for him," McCarthy said.

Nolan first broached the idea shortly after he was hired by the 49ers in 2005. He believes the ensemble will project an image of authority while also honoring his father, Dick, the 49ers' coach from 1968-75, and Hall of Fame coaches such as Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi.

But the NFL couldn't immediately give permission, citing its lucrative outfitting contract with Reebok. Nolan has worn pullovers and polo shirts during his tenure, but has worked with Reebok's designers to come up with the natty ensemble he's expected to show off Sunday.

Dan Reeves is thought to be the last NFL coach to wear a suit on the sideline. Coaches have been required to wear team-issued clothing since 1993.

Del Rio is expected to wear his suit again at the Jaguars' game against Indianapolis on Dec. 10, and Nolan will suit up again at a game still to be determined.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Tells 49ers Coach Mike Nolan That He Cannot Wear Suit and Tie On Sidelines

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Can you imagine Jon Gruden in a suit and tie in Tampa in August?

He'd sweat more than the players. I know, I wear one everyday and I literally run from my car into my office.

(Honestly, why does Jack McKeon need to wear a uniform w/ a number? Is he going to put himself in at 3rd in a double switch one night?),
    I know this is several months old, but can you imagine Jack going out to the mound for a pitching change in an Armani suit?

I'm pretty neutral on this topic. The NFL can do what it wants as far as I'm concerned. The money they get from Reebok undoubtedly lowers costs somewhere, so I have no problem with it. It's much easier to have a dress code so all the coaches dress alike. They have a product to market, and uniformity is a good thing in some cases.

I do agree, though, that the NFL should work harder at making coaches look less like Target employees. Remember those awful polos with the early 90s color schemes on them? Jack Pardee looked ridiculous in that baby blue and red design.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    As I understand it, MLB doesn't require managers to wear uniforms, but the rule is that if a manager walks onto the field of play during a game then he has to be in uniform.
    In addition to that rule, there's another stating that only "uniformed employees" of the team may be in the dugout during games. For trainers and such, a logoed golf shirt seems to meet the criteria.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Now if they could just get some clothes on the sideline pole dancers!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Now if they could just get some clothes on the sideline pole dancers!
    You watch a lot of Star Wars, do you?
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Turn Off Ads?