Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Chappelle in mental health facility

Report: Chappelle in mental health facility

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Report: Chappelle in mental health facility [/font]
    Entertainment Weekly reports that the star checked in Wednesday

The Associated Press
    Updated: 7:05 p.m. ET May 11, 2005

NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian’s whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of “Chappelle’s Show” had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

“We don’t know where he is,” Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. “We’ve heard about South Africa. We don’t know. We haven’t talked to Dave.”

Chappelle’s spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine’s story.

“It seems like the issues he’s contending with are really quite serious,” said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. “It isn’t a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion.”

The magazine’s sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle’s representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show’s first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes’ worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    © 2005 MSNBC.com

var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'

');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7821711/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Report: Chappelle in mental health facility

I'm not a fan of his show, but that's... just... bizarre.

I can imagine "Entertainment Tonight" might be moved to set aside some of its time devoted to the Michael Jackson trial to do a story like that.
    /r/reds

ws1990reds

He may in fact be getting "treatment', but I say he has far more to benefit from with disappearing act than any treatment he might get. Hollywood will do anything nowadays.

as i understand it, Dave's been having trouble living up to the expectation even at Season 2...i guess $50million later, he might not be able to handle the pressure.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

For a Level Playing Field

Chappelle’s representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.
    Yep. Right. Sure. Okay. WHATEVER...

I can believe the having trouble following up the 1st season. But I can also believe that drugs may have "helped" (in his opinion) get him through the mental anguish. A story that has been written over and over and over with the Hollywood types and the comedian types. I know what I am betting my money on in this case. Wonder if Dave's representatives will bet me and then agree to a lie detector test?

Whatever the real issue with his being in a facility may be I just wish him the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery. I think the guy is a comedic genius and I'm anxious for the 3rd season to get rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Whatever the real issue with his being in a facility may be I just wish him the best and hope he makes a speedy recovery. I think the guy is a comedic genius and I'm anxious for the 3rd season to get rolling.
    I agree, Jay. My comments may have seemed harsh, but just a guess that is backed up by years of the same ol'-same ol' in the entertainment industry. I hope Chappelle can get it back together and achieve the same level of success.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Yep. Right. Sure. Okay. WHATEVER...

I can believe the having trouble following up the 1st season. But I can also believe that drugs may have "helped" (in his opinion) get him through the mental anguish. A story that has been written over and over and over with the Hollywood types and the comedian types. I know what I am betting my money on in this case. Wonder if Dave's representatives will bet me and then agree to a lie detector test?
    What if he ISN'T on drugs and is legitimately having serious mental health issues? Seems a bit harsh to assume that simply because he's a celebrity who's having mental problems that he's obviously on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    What if he ISN'T on drugs and is legitimately having serious mental health issues? Seems a bit harsh to assume that simply because he's a celebrity who's having mental problems that he's obviously on drugs.
    Just my opinion. History tends to repeat itself and there are lots of entertainers from the past that can back that up. Of course I do not know. But it is a bet that I'd take in a heartbeat. And I am sure that a lot of people with mental anguish (for whatever reason) who turn to drugs to ease their anguish.

I am not a doctor or a drug counselor. Just a person who has his own opinion. The same as those who believe his representatives. OJ's reps told us that he was innocent of double murder. Kurt Cobain's reps told us that he did not have a heroin addiction. Robert Blake's reps told us that he did not murder his wife. Judy Garland's reps told us that she did have drug or alcohol problems. Frank Sinatra's reps told us that he had no ties with the mafia. And so forth and so on. I doubt that we'll ever know the truth. As there are those who will believe his reps, there will be those who do not. The whole story is ODD (with caps). I hope the man gets his peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Just my opinion. History tends to repeat itself and there are lots of entertainers from the past that can back that up. Of course I do not know. But it is a bet that I'd take in a heartbeat. And I am sure that a lot of people with mental anguish (for whatever reason) who turn to drugs to ease their anguish.

I am not a doctor or a drug counselor. Just a person who has his own opinion. The same as those who believe his representatives. OJ's reps told us that he was innocent of double murder. Kurt Cobain's reps told us that he did not have a heroin addiction. Robert Blake's reps told us that he did not murder his wife. Judy Garland's reps told us that she did have drug or alcohol problems. Frank Sinatra's reps told us that he had no ties with the mafia. And so forth and so on. I doubt that we'll ever know the truth. As there are those who will believe his reps, there will be those who do not. The whole story is ODD (with caps). I hope the man gets his peace of mind.
    And he has a house out in Yellow Springs. Nothing but a bunch of pot-smoking hippies out there. That's enough evidence for me. :
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

E broke in with special reports about Chappelle being admitted. I honestly thought it was a joke.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Are the mental health facilities in the United States so bad that he has to fly to the Congo to get straight????

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Are the mental health facilities in the United States so bad that he has to fly to the Congo to get straight????
    Is US Education so poor that we now think that South Africa is the Congo?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Oops. I just thought it said 'Africa'... My apologies to all of my fans in J'burg...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 05-13-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    LOL

Turn Off Ads?