Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Nancy Zimpher might be getting her wish

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Looks like Nancy Zimpher might be getting her wish

Indiana is still trying to recover from firing Bob Knight

Nancy is about to dig herself a hole she'll never get out of. Huggs is the only reason UC is going to the Big East....and she is going to destroy this entire program
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-13-2005 at 04:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nancy was already getting booed when showing up at basketball games this year. Imagine the reception she'd get if she fired Hugs.

She is not liked AT ALL by the students here.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Nancy was already getting booed when showing up at basketball games this year. Imagine the reception she'd get if she fired Hugs.

She is not liked AT ALL by the students here.
    Danny Graves thinks he gets a bad ovation?

UC Looking to Buy Out Huggins?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2059526

Embattled Cincinnati head coach Bob Huggins was not offered an extension or reinstatement of his contract rollover provision in a meeting Wednesday with the university's president, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported in Friday's editions.

The paper also reported that a contract buyout option is being discussed. Huggins, who had the rollover clause in his contract removed after last summer's arrest for driving under the influence, has two years remaining on his deal.

"There was an initial meeting and I know of no final outcome of those negotiations," Cincinnati athletic director Bob Goin told the paper.

The meeting was in school president Nancy Zimpher's office and also included Goin, Board of Trustees chairman Phil Cox and Board vice chairman Jeff Wyler, according to the report.

Per Huggins' contract, he would receive $700,000 a year for the remaining two years of his deal if he is bought out by the school.

Huggins has a career record of 399-127 in 16 seasons with the Bearcats. His teams have qualified for 14 straight NCAA Tournaments.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Indiana is still trying to recover from firing Bob Knight

Nancy is about to dig herself a hole she'll never get out of. Huggs is the only reason UC is going to the Big East....and she is going to destroy this entire program
    Bob Knight won 3 national championships, and over 600 games at IU.
    They went to the Nat'l Championship game two years later.

Bob Huggins hasn't gone to a Final Four since 1992.

To paraphrase Sparky Anderson, "Don't compare Bob Huggins to Bob Knight, you'll only embarass him."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    Bob Knight won 3 national championships, and over 600 games at IU.
    They went to the Nat'l Championship game two years later.

Bob Huggins hasn't gone to a Final Four since 1992.

To paraphrase Sparky Anderson, "Don't compare Bob Huggins to Bob Knight, you'll only embarass him."
    And who built that Indiana team that went to the title game? Wasn't Mike Davis.

Actually he was the lead recruiter for many of the players. He was also the guy who the players demanded stay on as coach.
    My point being the team went to the Nat'l title game two years after firing a coach whose resume so dwarfs Bob Huggins that to compare the two is silly.

The team hasn't struggled because they had to replace Bob Knight, the team has struggled because Mike Davis hasn't been very good.

Actually he was the lead recruiter for many of the players. He was also the guy who the players demanded stay on as coach.
    My point being the team went to the Nat'l title game two years after firing a coach whose resume so dwarfs Bob Huggins that to compare the two is silly.

The team hasn't struggled because they had to replace Bob Knight, the team has struggled because Mike Davis hasn't been very good.
    My intent wasn't to compare the two Bob's, because there's only 1 Robert Montgomery...my point is that Bobby Knight built the Indiana program and then when they fired him, the program suffered.

Same would happen at UC -- especially moving the the Big East, which Bob Huggins is primarily responsible for
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-13-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Fair point, but the IU program hasn't suffered because they fired Bob Knight, it has suffered because the gave Mike Davis an extension.

If they had hired a better coach, like Motta or Pitino, the program wouldn't have missed a beat.

None of this has much to do with Huggins though. The real worry is getting someone who is as good as Huggins(hopefully without the issues) to replace him.

None of this has much to do with Huggins though. The real worry is getting someone who is as good as Huggins(hopefully without the issues) to replace him.
    They already have someone on staff that is every bit as good of a coach as Huggins - Andy Kennedy.

Problem is, he has nowhere near the amount of star appeal that Hugs has, nor has he ever been a head coach.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Word.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Oh this doom and gloom if Huggy bear leaves is ridiculous.

The man is a bloated, drunken Elvis whose program has spun out of control and has had more chances than any other coach I've ever seen in college basketball - or really any sport for that matter.

People hate Zimpher because she removed alcohol from the Rhine Room I believe and the freakin' bowling alley and actually had the loins to stand up to the almighty Huggins.

According to Dave Lapham Huggins has had the buyout proposal on his desk for 6-8 weeks and they are simply trying to get rid of Huggins as quietly and gracefully and respectfully as possible.

I am a huge UC fan and no longer support Huggins nonsense - Christ the laundry list of criminal violations amongst him and his players is beyond reason at this point and the constant desperation mode they are in regarding recruiting and the coaching staff defections and decline in success is a direct result of his inability to control his program and run it professionally instead of like a JUCO NBA boot camp...this isn't a charity program for future millionaires, the entire university's image is affected by these kids he brings in, there's a lot of responsibility that goes with being a Division I athlete.

UC will survive Huggins leaving, he did a great job when he was here, I realize some west siders and Elder grads may commit Harey Carey over it but there will be life in UC basketball when he's gone (depending on who they replace him with).

UC Football will, hopefully, and easily, supplant UC basketball as the premiere revenue machine now that they are in the Big East in short time.

I'm sure some here disagree with me and that's fine, but I've seen enough of Huggins' tired act and the Bright and Banks situations are just the nail in the coffin unfortunately.

At some point you just have to say enough is enough and no more chances....

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    UC will survive Huggins leaving, he did a great job when he was here, I realize some west siders and Elder grads may commit Harey Carey over it but there will be life in UC basketball when he's gone (depending on who they replace him with).

UC Football will, hopefully, and easily, supplant UC basketball as the premiere revenue machine now that they are in the Big East in short time.

I'm sure some here disagree with me and that's fine, but I've seen enough of Huggins' tired act and the Bright and Banks situations are just the nail in the coffin unfortunately.

At some point you just have to say enough is enough and no more chances....
    Of course they will survive. UNC has survived Dean Smith leaving. IU has survived Bob Knight leaving. UCLA has survived John Wooden leaving. The basketball program may not be at the same level as it has been but life goes on.

UC football a revenue machine? Pardon me for laughing. More like an apathy machine. UC could drop football tomorrow and the reaction would be a big "so what". It's a shame but for some reason in a city where HS football has great support and the Bengals have great support that UC football has little fan support. Going to the Big East isn't going to change that much. The Big East is a basketball conference and could very well lose its BCS bid in the future. UC could have an undefeated football team and be ranked in the top 10 and they still wouldn't sell out games. Let's face facts. UC hoops is the tail that wags the UC athletic department's dog.

I think it's a shame that they want to get rid of a proven winner through no fault of his own. He screwed up with the drunk driving thing last year and paid the price. He was told to get his act together and by all reports he has. Now, after they told him that he had to do this and that to keep his job they still want to get rid of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Oh this doom and gloom if Huggy bear leaves is ridiculous.

People hate Zimpher because she removed alcohol from the Rhine Room I believe and the freakin' bowling alley and actually had the loins to stand up to the almighty Huggins.

Well, now I hate her too. :thumbdown
    Last edited by SunDeck; 05-13-2005 at 06:51 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    The guy had a DUI on national television..
    No the guy got a DUI, like Ryan Freel did, like Justin Smith did, like Steve McNair did, etc.....the media put it on National Television - that was their choice

That wasn't necessary....it was a wrong enough and plenty humiliating before the media let the world see it, especially over and over and over and over again.

Is the man a saint? Far from it. Does the man deserve to be run out of town? Absolutely not
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-13-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?