Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Basketball Recruiting Alert!

Ohio State Basketball Recruiting Alert!

For those of you who are interested,

To be perfectly blunt and honest, Ohio State's men's basketball recruiting class of 2006 could potentially be the best recruiting class in NCAA history.

Already committed:

Daequan Cook-SG-Dayton Dunbar. 6'4'' 185 lbs. Number 1 ranked shooting guard in the country, 3rd ranked player in the country regardless of position.

David Lighty-SG-Cleveland St. Joseph. 6'5'' 180 lbs. Number 2 ranked shooting guard in the country, 17th ranked player in the country regardless of position.

Those two alone would make for an outstanding recruiting class. But the way the 2006 class in Columbus is shaping up, these two are just the tip of the iceberg.

Thaddeus Young is a 6'8'' 205 small forward from Mitchell HS in Memphis. He is the 2nd ranked small forward in America and the 7th ranked player regardless of position. He has listed Ohio State among his favorites.

Mike Conley is a 6'1'' 170 pound point guard from Lawrence North High in Indianapolis. He is the 6th ranked point guard in the country (I think that is a slap in the face to rank him that low) and the 35th ranked player regardless of position (that too is too low). He is down to Ohio State and Wake Forest. But possibly his biggest attribute is the fact that he is teamates and lifelong best friends with our next prospect.

The unquestioned cream of the crop as far as 2006 recruites is a man child named Greg Oden, also from Lawrence North High in Indianapolis. Greg is 7'0'' and 225 pounds. He is the #1 player in the country regardless of position. This kid would be the #1 pick in the NBA draft this year (yes, he's that good) but the thing that makes Greg even more attractive is that he does not want to go the NBA after high school. He wants the college experiece and he is very involved in his academics. Not your average everyday basketball phenom. It is widely believed that he is going to go to the same school as his friend Conley. They both took visits to Ohio State in the past week and both came out with glowing reviews. It really sounds to me like they will both commit to Ohio State in the near future.

So be on notice, Ohio State fans. This is a class that I think would make Michigan's Fab Five look like a junior high team. I'll post updates as they come in.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Basketball Recruiting Alert!

I have somewhat of an update from last weekend's visit. Four of "Thad's Five" were in town last weekend for an official visit. I heard that Lighty was the only one not in town. The local papers were hoping that Oden and Conley would commit during the visit, but that was a little too optimistic. Also, I heard from a friend that Oden, Conley, and Cook all went out with JJ Sullinger, Terrence Dials, and another player (name escaped me) to a party off campus during their visit. Here's the kicker, they had police cars following them around whereever they went.

Anyways, Cook was quoted last after last weekend as saying that he thought Oden and Conley would commit to come to OSU because the three of them made a pledge a while back to all go to the same college so they could watch out for each other.

Following what RF30 said, if these guys all came to OSU, or even 4/5, it would be challenged by only the Michigan Fab Five for the greatest recruiting class ever. For being a "football only" school lately, OSU has sure been abuzz with the possibility of landing these guys. It should be interesting to watch it play out.

That recruiting class just might break the Tradition of Mediocrity here in Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27
    That recruiting class just might break the Tradition of Mediocrity here in Columbus.
    This Buckeye is truly hoping for that.

Oden needs to come on down to UK, look up at the 7 banners hanging down, then come play for a school with a real traditon.

Hey, if you're not going to go pro, go to the best, right.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

How much is Ohio State paying these guys?

(calm down..it's a joke)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    For those of you who are interested,

The unquestioned cream of the crop as far as 2006 recruites is a man child named Greg Oden, also from Lawrence North High in Indianapolis. Greg is 7'0'' and 225 pounds. He is the #1 player in the country regardless of position. This kid would be the #1 pick in the NBA draft this year (yes, he's that good) but the thing that makes Greg even more attractive is that he does not want to go the NBA after high school. He wants the college experiece and he is very involved in his academics. Not your average everyday basketball phenom. It is widely believed that he is going to go to the same school as his friend Conley. They both took visits to Ohio State in the past week and both came out with glowing reviews. It really sounds to me like they will both commit to Ohio State in the near future.
    Slow down there skippy, of course the guys had glowing reviews when they took their visits. I've never heard a player go to a school for a campus visit, come out of there and say "Yeah it was okay, but the food in the cafeteria was mediocre and the coaching staff didn't really think the offense would work so well with me in it."

Oden has repeated he has four schools he's looking at, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Indiana and Michigan State. He has never put a ranking on them, but has said he'd like to stay close to home which would seem to take Wake Forest out of it.
    He has said on numerous occasions that while it would be nice to go to the same school as Conley, they are by no means a "packaged deal."
    I've heard from OSU fans for the past two weeks and I don't understand what has made them think it's such a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    Oden has repeated he has four schools he's looking at, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Indiana and Michigan State. He has never put a ranking on them, but has said he'd like to stay close to home which would seem to take Wake Forest out of it.
    He has said on numerous occasions that while it would be nice to go to the same school as Conley, they are by no means a "packaged deal."
    I've heard from OSU fans for the past two weeks and I don't understand what has made them think it's such a done deal.
    While Indiana and Michigan State are still on his list, it is widely believed that he has trimmed it down to two....Wake Forest and Ohio State. I read a chat transcript this morning on scout.com and the insider conducting the chat was asked about Indiana. He said while he still has them on his list, he does not consider Indiana a player in the Oden sweepstakes.

No, it isn't a "package deal" with Conley and Oden but insiders on rivals and scout generally percieve this deal as they will go to the same school. I've heard where Conley is as high as a 90% lean to Ohio State at this point and if you read some of Oden's comments, it sure seems to me like he is leaning to Ohio State even though he hasn't come out and said it.

but the thing that makes Greg even more attractive is that he does not want to go the NBA after high school.
    And if you believe that, ive got some oceanside property for sale in Montana.

I've heard talks about Lawrence North High and North College Hill playing next year in Indianapolis with ESPN televising the game. If that happens, you better believe I will be watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

While Indiana and Michigan State are still on his list, it is widely believed that he has trimmed it down to two....Wake Forest and Ohio State.
    I read a chat transcript this morning on scout.com and the insider conducting the chat was asked about Indiana. He said while he still has them on his list, he does not consider Indiana a player in the Oden sweepstakes.
    He may be right, but I'm curious as to where the "insider" gets his information.
    Unless he's talking to Oden, Oden's mother or someone else in the family, he's basically shooting in the dark.
    I have a feeling insiders have a success rate right around those with NFL Draft experts and weathermen.

I think a lot of it will have to do with how the schools do next season. Unless he makes a decision this summer to stop speculation, there's really little to know exactly which direction he's going to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    He may be right, but I'm curious as to where the "insider" gets his information.
    Unless he's talking to Oden, Oden's mother or someone else in the family, he's basically shooting in the dark.
    I have a feeling insiders have a success rate right around those with NFL Draft experts and weathermen.

I think a lot of it will have to do with how the schools do next season. Unless he makes a decision this summer to stop speculation, there's really little to know exactly which direction he's going to go.
    This man (his name escapes me) has been in direct contact with recruits/coaches/family. He has good information.

As to not knowing which direction he's going to go, it looks like both Conley and Oden are set to commit to either Ohio State or Wake Forest sometime in June. So we won't have to wait much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    And if you believe that, ive got some oceanside property for sale in Montana.

I've heard talks about Lawrence North High and North College Hill playing next year in Indianapolis with ESPN televising the game. If that happens, you better believe I will be watching.
    With this kid, I really believe he is going to school and will take on the NBA at the right time. He has dreams of becoming an accountant. He was featured on ESPN last week and he said he wants an education to fall back on because basketball will not always be there.

And as far as Lawrence playing NCH....I'll be all over that if it happens.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Hoosier Red, don't you think that Mike Davis's status is a liability in Indiana's ability to recruit? Seems like the rumors keep swirling about him being on borrowed time there. Any name player would have to be wary of ending up in the hands of a different coach before long if he signed with the Hoosiers.
    /r/reds

While I would have rather seen Daequan Cook stay home and play at Dayton, I am excited about this OSU class and the program's expected return to glory.

Go Flyers!
    Go Bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Hoosier Red, don't you think that Mike Davis's status is a liability in Indiana's ability to recruit? Seems like the rumors keep swirling about him being on borrowed time there. Any name player would have to be wary of ending up in the hands of a different coach before long if he signed with the Hoosiers.
    Absolutely the uncertainty is making it difficult. Just ask Davis.
    Not only is Davis on short time, but if he's fired after next season, recruits know White, Vaden, Ratliff etc could be leaving with him. That can't help.

Turn Off Ads?