Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: 5/15 Reds go for the series win vs Phillies

Re: 5/15 Reds go for the series win vs Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Yea, that's a dumb stat based scoring rule. Not sure what purpose it serves. It isn't like guys are winning stolen base titles and winning arbitration hearings with stolen bases accumulated in this manner.
    If subjectivity can be applied to something as empirical as a stolen base, shouldn't the "saves" stat be reevaluated?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

That really wasn't my point. The note was related to keeping hitters off balance and not being predictable. That all centers on being able to throw that pitch for strikes. I'll say this, that was not your typical 22 year-old from a pitching standpoint. He seems to know how to pitch, refreshing. I would have to say the scouts have him dead on from what I've seen, where he is not stud material, but will look fine as a middle of the rotation steady type of guy. Get enough of those progress, and you start to have a semblance of a staff forming.
    My point was that Gullett or somebody needs to work with him at remaining deceptive and keeping the hitters guessing.

It works for Aaron Harang; he doesn't have "blow you away" stuff, but he spots his pitches extremely well and he keeps hitters off balanced by not repeating pitch sequences.

Ramirez can be effective, but he needs to work harder than the hitters to do so.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Lizard ought to stick around as an upgrade to the middle relief, which I think he is. He can probably start, but let's keep him out in the pen. I know I'd rather see Ramirez out there to try to keep us in the game or to hold the score in the 5-7 innings than seeing Weathers out there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yea, that's a dumb stat based scoring rule. Not sure what purpose it serves. It isn't like guys are winning stolen base titles and winning arbitration hearings with stolen bases accumulated in this manner.
    Back before the 40's wasn't uncommon for a scorer (who usually was a local sportswriter) to get it from both ends on a decision. Example Ty Cobb threatens Fred Leib about a hit (or so he thought) that was ruled an error. Example two the Yankees owner complains about the opposite, declares that close ones like that can cost him 100's of dollars in negotiation.

Lizard ought to stick around as an upgrade to the middle relief, which I think he is. He can probably start, but let's keep him out in the pen. I know I'd rather see Ramirez out there to try to keep us in the game or to hold the score in the 5-7 innings than seeing Weathers out there.
    I'd send him back down before he gets Reithed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    If subjectivity can be applied to something as empirical as a stolen base, shouldn't the "saves" stat be reevaluated?
    Great point, but then scorekeepers and subjective rulings would result in more ignorant scoring decisions in places like Wrigley and other historically bad scorekeeping parks.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd send him back down before he gets Reithed.
    Reith was a wus, more his problem, IMO. Ramirez has held his own at a young age every where he's been. Of course, even with the 911 cleanup, he might be 35

I was encouraged by Ramirez. I don't think he threw a really bad pitch all game. Great command of the curve and occasional nasty fastball on the outside black to righties. Real good composure pitching out of jams. Looks like an athlete, showing a decent bat and good defense (for a guy without dominating stuff, these things matter). Clearly a young starter to be hopeful about. I like the homage to Pedro with #45, too.

Reith was a wus, more his problem, IMO. Ramirez has held his own at a young age every where he's been. Of course, even with the 911 cleanup, he might be 35
    IMO, Reith's problem was that he wasn't ready for the majors and he got beaten silly as a result. Elizardo's pitched less than 100 IP in the high minors. I'll guarantee you he's in for some horrendous beatings if he sticks around in the majors. I thought today was a generally positive start for him, but he also showed you why he's not a solution at this time.

Let him go back down to the minors with some confidence and continue to develop. One thing I don't want to see happen this season is for the team to promote a bunch of kids who aren't ready for primetime and mess them up. Minimize the collateral damage.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

IMO, Reith's problem was that he wasn't ready for the majors and he got beaten silly as a result. Elizardo's pitched less than 100 IP in the high minors. I'll guarantee you he's in for some horrendous beatings if he sticks around in the majors. I thought today was a generally positive start for him, but he also showed you why he's not a solution at this time.

Let him go back down to the minors with some confidence and continue to develop. One thing I don't want to see happen this season is for the team to promote a bunch of kids who aren't ready for primetime and mess them up. Minimize the collateral damage.
    I agree, I'd rather not see the quicksand effect take place all over again. Let the big boys fail, and if you must bring up someone green, make sure it's largely in a relief role.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I agree. And let him loom as a reminder to the other starters that they are highly fungible.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Agree completely here. Let him take this experience with him back down to Louisville and let him refine his abilities based on what he learned.

Hopefully Claussen will be ready for his next start and they won't need to use Ramirez again.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Good game even though we lost.

I will have a longer report later on, but let me say that Ramirez looked good. He changed speeds well and his stuff(especially his curve) seemed to have a lot of bite to it. He looked confident and other than a couple of mistakes, he pitched a very good game. I think he could potentially make it as a 5th starter type pitcher. That final run given up on the low throw by Lopez that bounced away ended up being huge.

Griffey looked back and saw us at our seats and I kinda looked/nodded to him. I boooood Jimenez a bit after blowing it early in the game and I yelled at Miley for a couple of things.

Turn Off Ads?