Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn Trade Rumor!

Freelin' it

Re: Adam Dunn Trade Rumor!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Trading for Burnett doesn'y make much sense since he will be a FA after the year. If we really want him and can afford him (which we can't) then we should just wait until the off-season to shell ot the big bucks for him without wasting Dunn.

It would be different if we were in the middle of a penant chase, but getting Burnett only helps us for this year which doesn't make much sense.
    Well, if we did do this trade, I'd wait until mid June-July to see where this club sits with the rest of the team in the NL central. If we're out of the race for sure, then I'd probably clean house. We could then trade for either Burnett or Beckett, then sign either one long-term. But, i'd just much rather trade Griffey or Kearns. If Griffey continues to stay healthy and hit like he is, then we could get some real good stuff for him. The Braves have a ton of major league prospects that we could aim for, or even the Marlins could be a suitor.

We'll just have to wait and see how everything pans out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have several concerns about any proposed trade of Adam Dunn.
    1. I regard Dunn as a close to sure thing to hit another 300 to 500 HRs in his career. That kind of power isn't found just anywhere.
    2. That said, the Reds do need pitching, but I lack confidence in Dan O'Brien and the rest of the Reds front office to correctly judge among available young pitchers and select the right pitchers to receive in a trade.
    3. If the Reds somehow did somehow select the right pitchers (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then), I lack confidence in Don Gullett and the other pitching coaches ability to develop that talent, and in the Reds ability to keep the pitchers healthy.
    In short, if the Marlins offered the Reds Beckett AND Willis for Dunn, I have a feeling that in a year or two Beckett would blow out his arm and Willis would lose 10 mph off his fastball while trying to learn to throw a sinker; meanwhile Dunn would have several 50+ HR seasons for the Marlins.
    Trading Dunn could make good sense-I wish I had confidence in the people running the Reds to make the right decisions in that regard.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I wouldsay the Marlins would love that, it would be a disaster for the Reds. Castillo is finished as a slap and speed guy. His legs are gone, he can't keep them healthy, without the speed he has little value.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRed
    Beckett or Burnett only please.
    they aren't prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Then if the Reds flipped Castillo for a couple of top prospects.
    Castillo is expensive and has no value. He can't keep his legs healthy and thus can't run.

I'd need Beckett for sure, maybe even Beckett and a high prospect. I don't have much input because I don't know FL's prospects or anything about their farm system, but I want someone with a high K/per 9 and low walks, basically I need a stud and a guy that would be better than anyone in our minor leagues. Hopefully the Castillo part of the deal is hogwash, but a nice groundball/strikeout pitcher would be nice. Then we can let him tell the front office to get Gullett out of here.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    what makes you think that we need to get two number one starters for Dunn. We would be incredibly lucky to get one for Dunn.

Teams simply don't trade good young pitchers like hitters since they have more trade value.
    i meant guys seen like that. since its PROSPECTS, they both better be seen as STUDS. if its a proven guy, then only 1.

i just dont understand this. you trade your best player for prospects and an aging,oft hurt 2b. you lose your best offensive weapon, most consistent, no one really to replace him(pena hasnt proven he can stay healthy) yet and you gain a guy at a position you have 2 or 3 ml guys at and 2 of your best prospects at. yea makes a lot of sense.

i would never trade him but it would take at least floridas top 2 pitching prospects and top 2 position prospects

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    I'd need Beckett for sure, maybe even Beckett and a high prospect.
    The Marlins need Beckett, they won't be trading him.

I agree with you Driesen, if you can't get two basic #1's, or Beckett/Burnett, then the deal is off. This isn't Jim Bowden the video game, we hold the cards on who to deal where (as a FO). If they won't give us what we want, then tell them they need to find another stud who will hit 500+ HR's in his career.
    For Love of the Game

Flyer, then why trade him? My question is why do we HAVE to trade him, if we don't get what we want, then don't trade him. I wasn't trying to say that they would do that, I'm saying what I would trade Dunn for.
    For Love of the Game

I have said all along that the Reds would get nothing near value for Dunn and that fans would be extremely unhappy with the return.

My guess on the 2 prospects would be Bazardo and Olsen.

someone brought up the point i fear and the main reason i want the entire fo fired. judge of talent and handling talent. i have no faith in them picking the right guys and developing them and making them better. something needs to change or we will never get better. even if you get the right guys, if you cant develop them, then it doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    Flyer, then why trade him?
    Don't. However, I am quite convinced that DanO is going to bury this franchise for years to come and trading Dunn would just be another step.

Okay, I see where you are going with that. I tend to agree, but we see eye to eye on not trading him because he is so rare and will continue to get better and demolish major league pitching for a loooong time.
    For Love of the Game

I'd do it. Why not, we are sucking with Dunn and we can suck without him. People we need pitching, and we need a everyday second baseman. TWO! top pitching prospects, look what that organiztion has pumped out. WILLIS,BECKETT,BURNETT they pump out pitching. You guys WE HAVE FREEL,DUNN,GRIFFEY,PENA, AND KEARNS THEY CAN ALL PLAY THE OUTFIELD. There is no reason why we have 0 pitching and we are carrying 4-5 everyday outfielders. This team needs change, I am for almost anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?