Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsweek Wrong In Report That Causes Protests & Deaths

Re: Newsweek Wrong In Report That Causes Protests & Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    You guys are making it sound like Newsweek is responisble for Muslims being angry with us.
    No we are not. But we don't need Newsweek, or any other organization, showing such strong biases to allow them to rush a story to print without verification and reliable sources. After all, they are the ones now apologizing. Look at the results of their shoddy journalism in this particular situation.

And a vast majority of Muslims aren't angry or hate America. But we don't need organizations like Newsweek trying to "flame the anti-American" sentiment any more then it currently is in various segments.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    RFA, you always tell us to watch out for biased sources and then you only post the mistakes that go against the Bush administration. It's your type of bias that is just as dangerous.

Maybe because a right-wing poster shows his face only to criticize easy targets like Newsweek and Dan Rather on post after post after post and then fails to say anything about the prison abuses going on and all the other Bush administration mishaps.

Gee, could it be that you're biased?
    Dom, thanks for giving me a laugh this morning. Is RFA biased? Yeah, I'd say so, and I'll readily admit to having my own biases. What made me laugh was the tone of your post. While you didn't explicitly say so, you certainly implied that RFA was the exception here, someone who only posted mistakes that went against those whom he supported, someone who failed to say anything about the shortcomings of those he favors.
    I've somehow missed all your posts about the shortcomings of those you support. Please direct me to your posts that said anything critical about any left-of-center politician or media outlet, or anything positive about any right-of-center politician or media outlet.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    No we are not. But we don't need Newsweek, or any other organization, showing such strong biases to allow them to rush a story to print without verification and reliable sources. After all, they are the ones now apologizing. Look at the results of their shoddy journalism in this particular situation.

And a vast majority of Muslims aren't angry or hate America. But we don't need organizations like Newsweek trying to "flame the anti-American" sentiment any more then it currently is in various segments.
    I understand what your saying but my point is, be more upset with a Government that allows things like the Abu Grhaib prison abuse scandal then a newspaper that screws up a story. Abu Grhaib had much more to do with flaming the anti-American setiment in the middle east. And while I agree that not all Muslims hate America, I think it is a rising number.

The report said it confirmed four times when U.S. personnel at the base mishandled the Quran: guards kicked a detainee's Quran; a guard's urine "splashed" a detainee and his holy book and guards in a water balloon fight that resulted in two detainees' Qurans getting wet.
    So a guard urinates on a Quran, but that's not bad enough eh GAC? Newsweek certainly may have gotten some details wrong, but it doesn't really matter since plenty of abuse has occurred. Prisoners have been abused, at Gitmo and in Iraq, and the war in Iraq has been made more difficult because of those abuses.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

While you didn't explicitly say so, you certainly implied that RFA was the exception here, someone who only posted mistakes that went against those whom he supported, someone who failed to say anything about the shortcomings of those he favors.
    RFA is the only person I've ever "met" who can turn literally any political discussion around to Ted Kennedy. So he's got that going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Dom, thanks for giving me a laugh this morning. Is RFA biased? Yeah, I'd say so, and I'll readily admit to having my own biases. What made me laugh was the tone of your post. While you didn't explicitly say so, you certainly implied that RFA was the exception here, someone who only posted mistakes that went against those whom he supported, someone who failed to say anything about the shortcomings of those he favors.
    I've somehow missed all your posts about the shortcomings of those you support. Please direct me to your posts that said anything critical about any left-of-center politician or media outlet, or anything positive about any right-of-center politician or media outlet.
    I'm not Dom, but I'll jump in the fray. I respect completely Arlen Spector's (Republican, Pennsylvania) stance on stem cell research--he's standing up against the hatemongering, religion-infused governmental stance from the White House and *sweet, huggable puppies who love other ethnicities and women* like Delay and Frist in order to do what's right for PROGRESS, and not allowing our country to slip into a new Dark Age of persecuted SCIENCE.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 06-04-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    RFA is the only person I've ever "met" who can turn literally any political discussion around to Ted Kennedy. So he's got that going for him.
    I'd give you rep points but I'm only giving those out for posters on Reds Live!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm not Dom, but I'll jump in the fray. I respect completely Arlen Spector's (Republican, Pennsylvania) stance on stem cell research--he's standing up against the hatemongering, religion-infused governmental stance from the White House and Nazis like Delay and Frist in order to do what's right for PROGRESS, and not allowing our country to slip into a new Dark Age of persecuted SCIENCE.
    It's fine to have political discussions, but I'm not going to put up with you calling people Nazis. Consider this your first and only warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    It's fine to have political discussions, but I'm not going to put up with you calling people Nazis. Consider this your first and only warning.
    He called Delay and Frist Nazis. I don't believe there is a rule against that.

Tom Delay isn't a nazi?!? Air America lied to me ...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    He called Delay and Frist Nazis. I don't believe there is a rule against that.
    There are rules against it, several actually. If people can't act like adults and carry on a conversation without name calling then futher action will be taken.

I beleive the "name calling" rule is meant for personal attacks against other posters, not public figures.

I must be mistaken, but didn't someone call Ted Kennedy a murderer, or close to it?
    Last edited by RBA; 06-04-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I beleive the "name calling" rule is meant for personal attacks against other posters, not public figures.
    It applies to topics being discussed, not just individual posters. Sort of like the rule against using edgy language, which that comment also violated.

Edgy language? Did something get edited out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    So a guard urinates on a Quran, but that's not bad enough eh GAC?
    Again... read the details concerning this situation in the report RF. You make it sound like he grabbed a copy of the Koran, stood in front of a prisoner, pulled his pants down and urinated on it intentionally. And that is not what had happened now was it.

Newsweek certainly may have gotten some details wrong, but it doesn't really matter since plenty of abuse has occurred.
    And Newsweek sure "stoked them flames" with that article didn't they? Should there be any accountability there?

Oh... now it doesn't matter. You first tell me to go back and read the thread, because the Newsweek claim was proven true. I show you where it wasn't (as originally reported by Newsweek), and you say it now doesn't matter because abuse has occurred at Gitmo. Nice dodge.

First define abuse. And then show specific recorded incidents of such abuse at Gitmo. I have read the accusations of abuse being thrown out by Amnesty International's recent report (William Schulz). But they can never really verify or give specific incidents of abuse. They say "we've heard reports of.."

And Amnesty International is basing those allegations on people who were held in detention at Gitmo. Do you think these people's testimony who were captured in Afghanistan fighting for the Taliban, who hate America, are credible? I don't. Not when some have been released and are now back in Afghanistan fighting our military.

In March, the Navy inspector general reported that, out of about 24,000 interrogations at Guantanamo, there were seven confirmed cases of abuse, “all of which were relatively minor.” In the eyes of history, compared to any other camp in any other war, this is an astonishingly small number. Two of the documented offenses involved “female interrogators who, on their own initiative, touched and spoke to detainees in a sexually suggestive manner.”

Not exactly the gulag that Amensty International charges we are running. But then, I have never been a huge fan of this organization. Their definition of human rights violations differs from what most feel/think.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?