Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Just saw Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Re: Just saw Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Back in the late '70s the Star Wars Marvel Comic bridged the gap between the original and Empire Strikes Back.
    The Marvel series has been retconned out of the history.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    This TV series of which you speak, any word on if it will star the current cast of actors?

no word, as of yet. The interview I saw by Lucas said that it would be mostly new characters.

As much as I like Jimmy Smits on the West Wing, I really hope he stars in the new show. Going to be hard showing the early days of the Rebel Alliance without Bail Organna.

as soon as my Mom and Dad get here to watch the kids I am off to see Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    It's going to be a long 30 year wait when they remake the entire Star Wars series.
    Nah, that will be when we get ep 7, 8 and 9

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    no word, as of yet. The interview I saw by Lucas said that it would be mostly new characters.

As much as I like Jimmy Smits on the West Wing, I really hope he stars in the new show. Going to be hard showing the early days of the Rebel Alliance without Bail Organna.
    West Wing is probably gonna get the can after next season, so Smits would be available
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    West Wing is probably gonna get the can after next season, so Smits would be available
    Or....:gasp: Arnold Vinnick could be your next POTUS instead of Matt Santos.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

A picture of Anakin and Obi-Wan at the end of Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Or....:gasp: Arnold Vinnick could be your next POTUS instead of Matt Santos.
    EWWW!!!

Even if that did happen the show is gonna get the ax, ratings are down, most of the major characters contracts are up..last season ahead.
    Go Gators!

Sith rocked. Pretty much exactly how I expected it to go. I thought Hayden Christenson did pretty well actually. That was a tough role for anybody to pull off.

Back in the late '70s the Star Wars Marvel Comic bridged the gap between the original and Empire Strikes Back.
    I had a few of those books when I was little. Tore them up pretty badly.

Those stories and the awful early novels like "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" kept me from reading any of the subsequent books.

Lucas actually produced the "Clone Wars" cartoons, which is why they are so tightly integrated with the movies.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Those stories and the awful early novels like "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" kept me from reading any of the subsequent books.

I found "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" at a used bookstore two or so years back. The story behind that book is actually pretty interesting.

Lucas, as is pretty well known, sold off his director's fee for "Star Wars" in exchange for sequel rights and some merchandising rights. He was dead set on doing a sequel to Star Wars no matter how well Star Wars did at the box office, so, rumor has it, he hatched two contingency plans:

Plan #1: Star Wars does well and he films "Empire Strikes Back," the second film in his "great plan" for the Star Wars saga. "Empire" is a big sweeping epic that would require a lot of money to film and film correctly, so it would require that Lucas make enough of a profit on Star Wars in order to finance it.

Plan #2 was a contingency in case "Star Wars" did well (made it's money back), but not phenomenolly well at the box office like it ended up doing. Lucas would still film another "Star Wars" movie, but it would have to be done the limited budget Lucas could front himself or could get in financing from another studio.

Thus, he commissions Alan Dean Foster (the ghostwriter on the original novelization of "Star Wars") to write the contingency story right after the original Star Wars comes out. The story itself features several things that would help keep the budget of any film under control:

1. It's set entirely on a planet that is "perpetually shrouded in fog," which would allow the movie to be filmed mostly on a sound-stage (eliminating expensive location shoots) the way all of the Dagobah scenes were for "Empire Strikes Back"
    2. There are no giant space battles that would require extensive (and expensive) use of modelwork to achieve
    3. The cast was reduced to Carrie Fisher, Mark Hammil, Kenny Baker (R2D2), Anthony Daniels (C-3P0) and James Earl Jones and some extras who could play the local imperial troops on Mimban.

Well, Star Wars was a smash success at the box office and "Splinter" became the first Expanded Universe novel. It's interesting as the "Sequel that was never made" as well as for it's multiple plot hole blind alleys, such as the developing relationship between Luke and Leia (eww).

Of course, this is all conjecture, but the dots still connect up rather interestingly.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Sith rocked. Pretty much exactly how I expected it to go.
    That's my one complaint actually, it went just as I expected, no shocks, no surprises.

I say ep 7 comes out in 2012
    Go Gators!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I read "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" when I was a kid. I never read another Star Wars book as I assumed they all sucked eggs.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    That's my one complaint actually, it went just as I expected, no shocks, no surprises.
    Having said it went as expected, it was a bit more misogynistic than I expected. Anakin as Adam, Padme as Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I read "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" when I was a kid. I never read another Star Wars book as I assumed they all sucked eggs.

GL
    The majority of them do, in fact, suck eggs. I bought a bunch of them in a used bookstore a few summers ago when I was still in college and bored. I found, maybe, 2 or 3 that I actually liked out of the whole lot.

I think i have two of the books, but they are stored somewhere...
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?