Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republican viewers concerned about Star Wars

Republican viewers concerned about Star Wars

I hope that title is accurate enough. In my opinion, this is another ridiculous accusation. Star Wars has always parallelled real life, and this being the prequel, we pretty much already knew what was going to happen. Did they think that after all these years Lucas would now decide that Palpatine isn't such a bad guy, and that episodes 4-6 were just dreams that Anakin had?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...politics_x.htm

By César G. Soriano, USA TODAY
    Since early screenings of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith began last month, film critics, commentators and Internet bloggers have been debating whether filmmaker George Lucas is comparing President Bush and the Iraq war to the Dark Side of the Force. The conservative film site Pabaah.com has called for a boycott. The topic even made NBC's Today show.

Lucas said Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival that the movie was written before the Iraq war. "We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction," he said, adding, "The parallels between Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

Still, some see echoes of Bush in the film.

In one scene, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader tells his onetime mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." The line is seen as a reference to Bush's post-Sept. 11 threat "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

The White House declined to comment on the controversy.

Josh Griffin, a self-described "conservative Star Wars fan," says he cringed when he heard the dialogue at a recent advance screening of Sith. "Star Wars is meant to be a children's movie ... not to be a political statement about someone's liberal ideology."

Even a perception of bias could hurt a film's bottom line, some say. The crucial summer moviegoing season usually makes up 40% of a year's box office revenue; this year, ticket sales are down 7% from 2004.

"If people feel Lucas is pushing a parallel between the Galactic Empire and present-day America, I think people will be turned off," says filmmaker Jason Apuzzo, co-editor of the conservative film blog Libertas (libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas).

But others applaud Lucas for taking a stand.

"As a liberal and a Democrat, it was comforting," says Slant magazine film critic Ed Gonzalez. "Star Wars is created by real people, starring real people, so it's inevitable it will reflect real-life issues," even if it is sci-fi fantasy.

Freelance writer Craig Winneker, who accused Sith of bias on the webzine Tech Central Station, says he nonetheless loved the film. "I'm not going to hold a grudge against the movie or base my opinion on world events because of something Yoda says."

Political spoilers

People who have seen early screenings of Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith are noting parallels to the Bush administration:

• Sith plot: Seeking to strengthen security during wartime, Chancellor Palpatine persuades the Senate to give up civil liberties and elect him emperor for life. "So this is how liberty dies — to thunderous applause," Senator Amidala laments.

• Bush plot: Seeking to strengthen security after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush urged legislators to pass the Patriot Act, which opponents say infringes on civil liberties.

• Sith's war: Palpatine starts a war to divert attention from his true political motives.

• Bush's war: Bush persuades Congress to go to war with Iraq based on evidence that has now been largely dismissed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Republican viewers concerned about Star Wars

So they call for a boycott because they don't agree with an implied message in its dialogue?

this culture of stifling dissent and non-conformist opinions that has developed recently is just baffling to me.

I particularly love the line from the self-professed conservative Star Wars fan, about how it's supposed to be a children's movie. Star Wars never was, nor is it, intended to be a film for children. The fact that many children inevitably like it is beside the point.

I particularly love the line from the self-professed conservative Star Wars fan, about how it's supposed to be a children's movie. Star Wars never was, nor is it, intended to be a film for children. The fact that many children inevitably like it is beside the point.
    That got me as well, I NEVER looked at Star Wars that way for any of the episodes...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

gotta love that liberal backlash...and then the conservative backlash...then the liberal backlash
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Star Wars saga as an allegory can be (and has been) interpreted many ways. While I wouldn't be surprised if George Lucas was tweaking the nose of the political establishment, you'll never get him to admit it.
    /r/reds

Wow, I think everybody is way too sensitive lately. Seems like people will look for hidden messages and meanings in just about anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Wow, I think everybody is way too sensitive lately. Seems like people will look for hidden messages and meanings in just about anything now.
    Subtext is a powerful tool. But there are common themes in human history that have occured and been played out in literature and theater long before the Democrats and Republicans started playing cultural tetherball.
    Last edited by westofyou; 05-18-2005 at 02:55 PM.

I'll take it for what it is. Entertainment. If George Lucas has alterior designs, so what? Why do some have a problem with it? He has a right to his opinions, same as the rest of us. Doesn't make them any more important than anyone else's. I'll go see the movie, be entertained, and enjoy it. Then I'll more than likely forget about it pretty quickly.

Come to think of it, maybe Dave Miley has been trying to send us some sort of subtext when he makes out his lineups this season. :fineprint

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Subtext is a powerful tool. But there are common themes in human history that have occured and been played out in literture and theater long before the Democrats and Republicans started playing cultural tetherball.
    Oh I don't doubt that it exists and is used. I guess my main point is that people seem to get riled up about it too easily.

I rented Phantom and Attack recently just to get caught up on the politics of "Star Wars". Basically, the first sound-and-fury of those two movies amounted to A) Palpatine getting elected Chancellor and B) consolidating his power and getting authorization for the clone army.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

As a conservative leaning type guy, i cringe everytime i read a conservative say something silly like this. Its a freakin monie, folks, relax.

Wonder why I cant stomach following politics anymore.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

This reminds me of the controversy over "The Two Towers." People accused the movie studio of exploiting the Sept. 11th destruction of the World Trade Center. Nevermind that the books were written decades before 9-11-01...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Subtext is a powerful tool. But there are common themes in human history that have occured and been played out in literature and theater long before the Democrats and Republicans started playing cultural tetherball.
    Everything, everything, everything is political. Everything.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Oh come on...

I don't like Bush but this is insane.
    Go Gators!

Silly controversy.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?