Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Nancy Zimpher might be getting her wish

Looks like Nancy Zimpher might be getting her wish

Buyout possible for Huggins
    No contract extension offered yet by UC to basketball coach

By Bill Koch
    Enquirer staff writer

University of Cincinnati president Nancy Zimpher did not offer basketball coach Bob Huggins a contract extension or rollover when the two met in her office Wednesday afternoon, leaving Huggins, for now, with the option of completing the final two years of his contract or accepting a buyout proposal, sources familiar with the negotiations confirmed Thursday.

However, the negotiations are ongoing.

UC athletic director Bob Goin would say only: "There was an initial meeting and I know of no final outcome of those negotiations."

Goin declined further comment.

The buyout proposal that was offered to Huggins essentially is the same one that's included in his basic contract. That proposal calls for Huggins, if he is terminated without cause, to receive "monthly payments at the rate of $700,000 per year from the date of ... such termination without cause through the expiration of the term of this contract."

With two years left on his contract, Huggins would receive $1.4 million if he accepts the termination proposal.

Wednesday's meeting took place in Zimpher's office on campus and included Zimpher, Huggins, Goin, Board of Trustees chairman Phil Cox and Board vice chairman Jeff Wyler. Huggins had the rollover provision of his contract removed last summer in response to his arrest and conviction on a charge of driving under the influence. Before that, his contract rolled over on July 1 of each year so that he always had four years left.

Zimpher, through university spokesman Greg Hand, declined comment Thursday night. Huggins could not be reached; his lawyer, Richard Katz, declined comment.

Huggins has a 399-127 record in 16 seasons at UC. His teams have made 14 straight NCAA Tournament appearances.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Looks like Nancy Zimpher might be getting her wish

sounds like it is just of matter of "when".

I think Nancy better be careful for what she wishes for.

There was a big ole dry spell for UC hoops before Huggins showed up (Badger/Yates) and I predict a long dry spell after he leaves.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker

There was a big ole dry spell for UC hoops before Huggins showed up (Badger/Yates) and I predict a long dry spell after he leaves.
    it's not like next years team is loaded. Going in to a tough Big East with the current roster is going to be a challenge.

Maybe Nancy decided she would like UC to be an known as an institution of higher learning instead of a basketball school with "issues".

The guy had a DUI on national television. It takes time to get back into the good graces of your boss after you embarrass yourself and your program like that. I don't see this as an indication that he's got one foot out the door, but it does look like Zimpfer is trying to send some kind of a message. It's not clear at this point what she wants out of the program, but I think people are right to be concerned about Hugg's long term situation.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    I don't see this as an indication that he's got one foot out the door, but it does look like Zimpfer is trying to send some kind of a message.
    By not getting an extension it does, it hurts recruiting because everyone else can play to the perception that the coach is on his way out. Either Huggins will get an extension or he will be gone. The third possible outcome(staying with no extension) is a third rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    By not getting an extension it does, it hurts recruiting because everyone else can play to the perception that the coach is on his way out. Either Huggins will get an extension or he will be gone. The third possible outcome(staying with no extension) is a third rail.
    Very good point RC.

I assume people here have heard about Roy Bright being kicked off the team for dropping a loaded gun on campus and top recruit Vincent Baker leaving the team for "personal reasons."

I think the string of problems he's had with these kids and the program are enough - and to be honest as a long-time UC fan I am utterly tired of Huggins' act, the underachieving, the constant criminal problems etc..,

His program is out of control and his recruiting has suffered of late (despite having some good young talent going into next year - they're just going to be a very young team that will struggle early probably).

A change is sorely needed - I respect what he's done here tremendously and how he ressurected the program - of course who they replace him with - if they do - is key to keeping the program on the same level. I think that's very possible with all of the campus changes and the move to the Big East.

Although one thing UC and Cincinnati Police could stand to do is clean up Clifton Heights and Corryville - you are literally risking your life walking around those areas at night and I moved out of Clifton a couple of years ago as I was tired of people being shot, car jacked, and mugged literally on a weekly basis in certain areas of the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    I assume people here have heard about Roy Bright being kicked off the team for dropping a loaded gun on campus and top recruit Vincent Baker leaving the team for "personal reasons."

I think the string of problems he's had with these kids and the program are enough - and to be honest as a long-time UC fan I am utterly tired of Huggins' act, the underachieving, the constant criminal problems etc..,

His program is out of control and his recruiting has suffered of late (despite having some good young talent going into next year - they're just going to be a very young team that will struggle early probably).

A change is sorely needed - I respect what he's done here tremendously and how he ressurected the program - of course who they replace him with - if they do - is key to keeping the program on the same level. I think that's very possible with all of the campus changes and the move to the Big East.

Although one thing UC and Cincinnati Police could stand to do is clean up Clifton Heights and Corryville - you are literally risking your life walking around those areas at night and I moved out of Clifton a couple of years ago as I was tired of people being shot, car jacked, and mugged literally on a weekly basis in certain areas of the neighborhood.
    On the thread that started with the latest incident, it was mentioned that Huggs takes chances on kids. That's a point I have tended to overlook. Not saying it's been a success, but he has walked a thin line, trying to take kids who are athletes and get them into a nationally ranked college program. Some of them have worked out well, some haven't, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    The guy had a DUI on national television. It takes time to get back into the good graces of your boss after you embarrass yourself and your program like that. I don't see this as an indication that he's got one foot out the door, but it does look like Zimpfer is trying to send some kind of a message. It's not clear at this point what she wants out of the program, but I think people are right to be concerned about Hugg's long term situation.
    Good point. But I thought I read where after Huggins' DUI last year, they took away the automatic roll-over of his 4 year contract as a warning shot across his bow. And, from what I've read in the press, Huggins has cleaned up his act. I'm sure the timing of the Bright incident and Banks leaving school didn't help. It's a real tough call for Zimpher.

I view all college Division 1 sports with a very jaundiced eye. There are very few programs, be it hoops, football, etc. that hasn't sold their soul to the throne of the almighty dollar. Div. 1 men's hoops and football are moneymakers, period. And UC is no exception.

And this is a genuine question; Do the sports programs at big-time schools *really* affect their academic reputation? The exposure to high level academia that I've had I would say no. The whole research/teaching aspect of a university pretty much stands (or falls) on the the merit of the quality of staff, facilities, and their output. Do schools who go on NCAA probation lose enrollment, academic standing, etc as a result?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

And this is a genuine question; Do the sports programs at big-time schools *really* affect their academic reputation? The exposure to high level academia that I've had I would say no. The whole research/teaching aspect of a university pretty much stands (or falls) on the the merit of the quality of staff, facilities, and their output. Do schools who go on NCAA probation lose enrollment, academic standing, etc as a result?
    I think that's a good question and I'd venture that the answer is no. The athletic world and the academic world are separate universes, in my experience (at a school that also had a precipitous downfall in it's hoop program- NC State). Moreover, it's silly and naive for anyone to try to even evaluate a shool's academic reputation based on one particular criteria. Student's don't attend the entire university, only a portion of it. How they do academically relates much more to a set of details that relates to their individual experience at the school and the program they enrolled in. Just my opinion.

Here's a sort of example; there are great programs at UC like engineering and the design programs at DAAP, the business school has a solid reputation, etc. But do you know what one of their most prestigious and highly respected programs is? Classics! You couldn't find a program more removed from athletics than that, could you?

Classics? The conservatory is also obviously one of the best music schools in the world. UC is a great state funded city school and always will be and is a nice thing to have here in town - they are the city's largest employer and provide all kinds of benefits to us who live here.

Considering the rather pathetic student involvement and attendance to the football and basketball games over the years, it's pretty obvious the students don't really care as much about the athletic programs as do the surrounding population and alums and friends of alums who consider UC a city icon and staple and are really the only major college sports affiliation we have outside of OSU, IU and UK.

Retired

This isn't about Huggs DUI, or Roy Bright, Nancy Zimpher has it out for Huggins.
    It's been that way ever since she set foot on the UC campus and it's not really a secret either.

I bet reps from the Big East are going to be giving her a call, they've invested significant time and money into bring UC and others into the conference next year, if she ruins the product they bought they aren't going to be pleased.

FWIW, Zimpher isn't well liked on UC campus either, from what I hear she's really screwed up thier graduation ceremony this year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    FWIW, Zimpher isn't well liked on UC campus either
    That's a bit of an understatement. She's a change for the sake of change kind of person.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    That's a bit of an understatement. She's a change for the sake of change kind of person.
    If Huggs is forced out it's going to be very interesting to see the reaction of the student body and the local media. I think Nancy is biting off more than she can chew with this one.

Turn Off Ads?