Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Topher Grace joins Spidy 3 cast; Kelsey Grammar an X-Men

Topher Grace joins Spidy 3 cast; Kelsey Grammar an X-Men

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20050520/en_movies_eo/16596

By Charlie Amter Thu May 19,10:34 PM ET

Topher Grace is checking out of the basement and into the big time.

Coming on the heels of his last regular installment of That '70s Show, the actor has been tapped to join the cast of Spider-Man 3, Columbia Pictures announced Thursday.

Grace will join one of the biggest franchises in film, appearing alongside original Spider Man cast members Tobey Maguire,
    Kirsten Dunst, James Franco and recently announced addition Thomas Haden Church in the would-be blockbuster, due May 4, 2007.

Sam Raimi will return to direct the highly anticipated third installment, which starts shooting early next year.

"Topher Grace is an extraordinarily talented actor and will be perfect for the complexities of the role we are developing," Raimi said in a press release.

Of course, Raimi was mum on exactly what those "complexities" would be, leaving it up to the movie rumor sites to begin speculating on just which Marvel character Grace will essay.

Likewise, when Church was announced as Spidey's newest cinematic ne'er-do-well, Riami was equally coy, saying the Oscar-nominated Sideways star "will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis and we all look forward to working with him."

It's widely assumed that multiple villains will appear in Spider-Man 3, and Grace is already an odds-on favorite to be one of them.

Meanwhile, Chlo Sevingy, who who has openly campaigned for a slot in the film, hasn't yet made the cut.

The actress has suggested she would make a perfect Black Cat in Spider-Man 3, but, per fan Website GoblinJournals.com, an "anonymous source" close to the film says there will be no Black Cat role in the new film; instead, the two baddies will be Sandman and Hobgoblin.

Villain issues aside, Spider-Man 3 is about the closest thing there is to a box-office lock.

Spider-Man 2 smashed records when it opened last summer, becoming the third film ever to earn more than $40 million in a single day. The film went on the gross $373 million at the U.S. box office. The original Spider-Man grossed $403 million domestically during its 2002 run. So far, the webslinger franchise has grossed more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

This represents Grace's biggest movie role to date. The actor, who along with Ashton Kutcher, decided to leave That '70s Show to pursue movie roles (they will both be back as guest stars in a handful episodes next season), has racked up solid cinematic credits. He most recently starred in In Good Company and the indie flick P.S., and had smaller roles in Traffic, Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve.

Meanwhile, in other big Marvel-related casting news,
    Kelsey Grammer has been tapped to play Beast--the super-intelligent blue behemoth, in the forthcoming X-Men 3, according to Variety.

He'll be joined by two other new X-Men recruits, Kitty Pryde, aka Shadowcat, who can pass through walls (Lost's Maggie Grace is reported to be the top candidate), and the winged Angel.

They'll square off against another evil mutant, the metal-clad giant Juggernaut, to be played by Vinnie Jones (Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels).

British director Matthew Vaughn is taking over behind the camera from Bryan Singer (who is helming the new Superman). X-Men 3 is slated to hit theaters over Memorial Day 2006.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Topher Grace joins Spidy 3 cast; Kelsey Grammar an X-Men

I had my first exposure to Topher Grace when I saw "In Good Company." IMO, he looks exactly like Tobey Maguire, and his delivery is similarly languid. I wonder if this casting is intended to take advantage of that resemblance?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I had my first exposure to Topher Grace when I saw "In Good Company." IMO, he looks exactly like Tobey Maguire, and his delivery is similarly languid. I wonder if this casting is intended to take advantage of that resemblance?
    Just imagine if they added Jake Gyllenhall as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

IMO, Topher would make a good Eddie Brock/Venom. If they added Gyllenhall as well, they could go the Venom/Carnage route.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Kelsey Grammer has been tapped to play Beast--the super-intelligent blue behemoth, in the forthcoming X-Men 3, according to Variety.

He'll be joined by two other new X-Men recruits, Kitty Pryde, aka Shadowcat, who can pass through walls (Lost's Maggie Grace is reported to be the top candidate), and the winged Angel.

They'll square off against another evil mutant, the metal-clad giant Juggernaut, to be played by Vinnie Jones
    Kelsey Grammar as Beast will be interesting. Beast is a great character. Angel, though, is lame.

Juggernaut. Oh yeah.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Grammar's voice is perfect for Beast. Not sure how they'll film the character though. He'll most likely have to be CGI to some degree.

Juggs as a villain at this point in the comics continuity is a mistake IMO. Kelsey Grammar as beast is very interesting. perfect voice, but he's going to have to wear a lot of makeup, and likely a very heavy body suit. it will be interesting to see if he can pull of the athletic side of it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

They'll have to use CGI. A big furry bodysuit would look pretty dorky, and Beast's acrobatics would be nearly impossible.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Maybe just voice work? Stinky pete as Hank McCoy?

Turn Off Ads?