Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumors: Everybody's getting fired and Bowa will do it all consolidated thread

Re: Miley and Coaching staff will be fired Sunday

I think it would be cool if they hired Bowa. The team wouldn't necessarily perform better but they would be more interesting.

Of course, after two months I would get tired of observing his act and want him replaced.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

One thing that is evident, Bowa wasn't the problem in Philly. Their problem was sitting up in the press box trading for Endy Chavez. He's still there. Bowa? Not sure how he manages a game, but I'd bet he'd hack off some of the vets. I wonder if he'd be good or bad for FeLo's development? He might be a bit brash for him to thrive.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    good point, but, what is the situation in the minors? The team is not devoloping players. They are great in the minors, but bomb in the big leagues. I like DanO's 75 pitch count 8-man 4-day rotation, but it is too early to call.

the scouting dept is in shambles. Every draft pick the Reds have made in the last few years, since kearns and dunn, have been disappointments. Yes injuries have played a role, but a good scout should be able to tell by mechanichs which players are more injury-prone. and Who was the idiot who took Jeremy Sowers?? when he said BEFORE the draft that he was going to Vanderbilt.(probably Bowden)

Every time the Reds change Managers, the coaching staff changes as well. All except for one man Don Gullett. He needs to go, he has not devoloped a pitcher in a LONG,LONG time. its time someone in the front office wakes up and sees that.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I am, who knows?? all I care about is getting the Reds back where they belong, and I think it starts in the front office.
    How many drafts has DanO been in charge of?

How long did the Brewers farm system totally suck before they got recognized as one of the best in Baseball.

I have zero problem letting Miley and the entire coaching staff go...no comparison to the Tony Perez firing...Miley is in his second season and Perez was making his first call from the bench.

IMHO I think we would be fine to cut Gully, Miley and Hume and keep the rest of the staff.

I HATE the idea of Bowa coming in here...Leland I'd like to see, but I am afraid he wouldn't take on the headache.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Hmm... Bowa was JUST great in San Diego, then in Philadelphia he pressed his players and caused inner strife with his intensity.

Sounds like a great idea!!!

Let's file this with the Larkin's number won't be retired and Delino DeShields is signing with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Last I checked, DanO has yet to give up a gopherball, Lindner has yet to make an error, and John Allen has yet to hit into a GIDP. The problem with the Reds is there is a lack of talent between the lines, mainly on that raised circle of dirt on the middle of the infield.

The front office bears responsibility for assembling this group of bums, but it is the bums themselves that are racking up the losses.
    It all starts at the top.

If this actually did happen Eric Milton would be kicking himself.

Despite the fact that DanO has only been here 2 years, the pitching staff is his creation. Graves is the only pitcher on this staff that he didn't directly choose to bring in or bring back. Actually that is giving him more credit than he deserves because the only two real bright spots (Harang and Wagner) were inherited and only needed to be offered a contract. The only credit he deserves on that front is that he didn't release or trade either.

While he deserves some sympathy for the state of the minor league system he inherited, he spent a wad of cash to bring in/bring back pitchers who fairly predictably (at least to the armchair GMs around here) have stuggled. And the Reds will be paying the price for these moves for a few years to come.

I guess im ignorant on Bowa. Why is he hated so much?

Does he call out his players publically or something?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I guess im ignorant on Bowa. Why is he hated so much?

Does he call out his players publically or something?

http://www.courierpostonline.com/col...xro022504a.htm
    "No," said Mike Lieberthal, who's heard every one of these speeches. "Larry is Larry.

"His tone was a little different at first, because it seemed like he was talking to an older crowd of players as opposed to a younger team he had to push. It wasn't the Notre Dame football speech, like before. But once he starts talking, once he gets going, he gets fired up regardless."

Bowa may well be a bit more low key this season, with a veteran team full of talent and postseason experience. But the idea that Bowa is going to go about this thing any less driven and any less intense is just silly.

"Low key is a tough word to use with Larry," said Doug Glanville, who was at the 2001-02 addresses before missing last season.

"It was vintage," Glanville said. "He expressed a lot of confidence in this team. The bar is high.

"It was him. He might try to be a kinder, gentler Larry, but we say that every year. He was fired up. He's always fiery. It was calm in terms of recognizing that we have a lot of guys with experience who've been there. So that was a little different flavor. But he always gets your attention. He's a charismatic speaker."

I saw nothing wrong about him in thie article. Im sure there is another take about the guy with how the general reaction is towards him in this thread.

Having Bowa as a manager would certainly make things interesting, that's for sure.

Like :all_cohol :runawaycr :deadhorse kind of interesting.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I saw nothing wrong about him in thie article. Im sure there is another take about the guy with how the general reaction is towards him in this thread.
    That's the "good take"" on his intensity, the bad take is easily accessable though google, but the MO is intense is just as bad as good.

Please oh please let this be so. I have been a Reds fan for 35 years and this has to be the most disqusted I have ever been with this team. They just seem to accept losing. There is no fire at all. A change is in order.Gullet especially needs to go.
    Baseball is life

This rumor is completely false. I can't believe anyone believes this. I have been contacted for an interview for the managerial position and my interview isn't until June 9 (obviously the Higher Ups know of the gathering and that I'll be in town then). So Miley has until at least June 9 to turn this around - because after I wow them in my interview I will be the new manager.

And Casey will be batting 6th.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

It's been stated in Sports Illustrated that Jim Leyland would love a chance to manage again. Many are speculating that he'd take over for Lloyd McClendon in Pittsburgh.

As for Miley, I'm starting to believe that he's managing the same way that he always has, as a AAA minor league manager. What I mean by that is that he seems to be managing like he's trying to develop these players, and not managing like he's trying to win ballgames.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?