Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Zone

They call me "chef"

The Twilight Zone

Every one has to at least appreciate this show. It had some of the most original and creative storylines ever imagined and it debuted in 1959. People nowadays can't come close to reproducing the level of psychological horror and thought provoking sci-fi this show managed in the early 60's. Most of the storylines were actually cleverly hidden social commentary too.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone here has some favorite episodes. Mine are:

- It's a Good Life (Evil 8 year old boy controls everything with his mind)
    - Nick of Time (Young couple gets glimpse of future by putting pennies in a novelty fortune teller machine and asking it yes or no questions)
    - One where prisoner is held in solitary confinement on an asteroid in space and is secretly given a robot girl to keep him company.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Twilight Zone

Greatest TV show of all time, IMO. The Beatles of television shows. Almost too much good stuff to catch your breath.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The one with the girl robot on an asteroid is "The Lonely".

Rod Serling went to school at Antioch College up in Yellow Springs.

My favorites:

A Stop at Willoughby
    The Midnight Sun
    Little Girl Lost
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I like the one where the guy just wants a quiet place and some time to read.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Then breaks his glasses when he's the only man left on earth
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    That's one of my favorites as well. I like to watch the marathons on Sci Fi Network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

The Bewitchin' Pool

Hitchhiker.

Nick of Time, definitely

The messed up part is, I really don't like Sci-Fi very much. But this show was written so captivatingly, it didn't seem to matter (though I would argue that the show was far more ghost story/proto-horror than it was sci-fi).
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-19-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

only slightly off topic. The day I realized every episode of The Outer Limits was something with an ironic ending i stopped watching.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

To Serve Man

I don't know the names of any episodes (other the the Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge), but one I like is when the bus stops at a tiny diner in winter, and there are reports of an UFO around, with the restaurant owner ending up being one.

One good thing about New Year's Day (at least the past couple of years), besides football, is the Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi & the Three Stooges marathon on AMC.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
    In high school I had to read the short story this episode was based on. Then we got to watch it in class. Pretty good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    In high school I had to read the short story this episode was based on. Then we got to watch it in class. Pretty good episode.
    I went to film school and had to see in at least 3 different classes, it's a classic example of time manipulation in that medium. The short story is also very good.

The movie Jacobs Ladder steals the premise somewhat.

FYI the episodes can be found at www.tvtome.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder
    one I like is when the bus stops at a tiny diner in winter, and there are reports of an UFO around, with the restaurant owner ending up being one.
    It is called "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up"

Turn Off Ads?