Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spyware and a Modem question

Spyware and a Modem question

Any suggestions on what I can do if Spybot S&D doesn't rid my PC of spyware? I run the program, but after rebooting and running the program again, Spybot is still finding the same Spyware.
    Last edited by savafan; 05-20-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: didn't want to start a new thread
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spyware

I use Spybot and Ad-aware SE.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I use Spybot and Ad-aware SE.
    Neither one is getting rid of DSO Exploit.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Microsoft also has a free spy ware program available.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    Awesome, thanks

Looks like I have nothing to worry about because I update Windows regularly.

Re: Spyware and a Modem question

I am having one other problem with my new computer. The modem, which is a US Robotics model, keeps having to shut down and I am getting booted from the internet and have to reboot the system before it'll let me log back on.

smith, since you are, IMHO, probably one of the most intelligent tech people at this site, do you know what I can do to fix this? I've done the US Robotics updates, but am still having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I am having one other problem with my new computer. The modem, which is a US Robotics model, keeps having to shut down and I am getting booted from the internet and have to reboot the system before it'll let me log back on.

smith, since you are, IMHO, probably one of the most intelligent tech people at this site, do you know what I can do to fix this? I've done the US Robotics updates, but am still having this problem.
    http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

Have you checked to make sure that you have all of the upgrade from US Robtics for your paticular model? I would first suspect that you need to make sure that the phone lines are swept by the phone company for noise. Next make sure that you are using the correct initialization strings for that modem.

You say that you have installed the lastest updates so the other two suggestions would be primary.

http://www.usr.com/home.asp

With a new computer you should be able to ask the techs of the manufacturer, they would be able to tell you if the string values are correct.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-20-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Zonealarm has been keeping my computer free of spyware, banner ads, pop-ups...can't say enough good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Next make sure that you are using the correct initialization strings for that modem.
    This was HUGE for me. Before the initialization string, I couldn't stay online more than two or three minutes at at time, and the connection was slow. After I entered the correct initialization string, it sounds different when it's connecting, the connection process is much faster, the connection speed itself is faster, and I never get bumped off.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Okay, how do I check this initialization string situation? I'm still having problems.

Okay, how do I check this initialization string situation? I'm still having problems.
    It depends on which operating system you're using. If you're using Windows XP, go to google and do a search on "windows xp modem initialization string" (without the quotes) and that should lead you to several sites giving instructions on how and where to enter the string.

As for what string to use, that will come from either your pc manufacturer or modem manufacturer. I have an HP, and their site allows you to enter your model number and it gives you the string to enter. If yours isn't so straightforward, you might need to google around with your pc model or modem model.

Good luck! Let us know if this helps any.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I've tried them all, and have found that Spyware Doctor is the best of the lot. It will not only immunize your system, but also monitor it in the background so that if you are inadvertantly opening up a site with spyware/trojan it will stop and give you a warning message with the the option of wanting to continue or not.

You can download it free for 30 days, but will cost about $20; but has been a worthwhile investment with teenagers.

www.pctools.com
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

ws1990reds

Any suggestions on what I can do if Spybot S&D doesn't rid my PC of spyware? I run the program, but after rebooting and running the program again, Spybot is still finding the same Spyware.
    Do what I did, and install Mepis Linux (based off Debian). It is a real learning curve for those new to Linux (I'm somewhat new), but if you can piece together decent support (drivers and quality applications to interact with your computer devices), you will be SO much happier. I got sick of the constant popups, viruses, trojans, etc.

Turn Off Ads?