Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jiminez designated for assignment

Re: Jiminez waived!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I think I would have tried to get something for him.
    Like a minor leaguer or something, just not waive him.
    There are prolly more things that are going to happen

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I believe that if someone picks him up that they pay him the ML minimum and the Reds pay the rest. I could be mistaken, but I think that's how it works.
    Wow. That sucks. Why not at least shop him around? Well, maybe they did, it just seems like somebody smart out there would have taken him for a PTBNL.

Another brain-toot by the front-office. Nothing knew.

I think the message to the team would have been more powerful had we gutted the whole front-office. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    Jiminez's on-field struggles (not just at the plate ... defensively, on the basepaths ... everywhere) and his well known off-field, let's say, moodiness, made him the guy to go to send a message. I get the feeling Aurilia is well respected among the guys in that clubhouse. Jiminez's attitude issues could be overlooked when he was performing. When he's lousy across the board, those issues aren't so easy to ignore.

And this opens the door for Freel to play more at second. Freel isn't going to play short, so cutting Aurilia means you're down to FeLo and LuLo at short -- not good.

I'm all for this move. But some around here will complain about anything.
    Very good points. My problem is that this does not fix the problem. One word: Pitching. We need to DL some players like Wilson and bring up a pitching prospect or two if nothing else, for a fresh change in the rotation.

This move does absolutely nothing. Yes its complaining, but I think it is a valid complaint.
    The Official Old Red Guard Points Countdown Timer©
    115 Points to go
    ..as of 7-15-2005

:griffey:
    ...and a high drive, hit back into deep right field,
    Junior has just knocked the door down to the 500 club. - Marty Brenneman, Sunday June 20th, 2004

Remember, this is the organization that will not allow ball boys to toss freshly hit foul balls to the little kids in the stands. I hadn't seen something like that since I played little league.

Of course, we only had three baseballs when I played little league, so the fans (i.e. mom and dad) couldn't keep a foul pop if they wanted to see the kiddies play!

This is not the move I was looking for, but this does no harm to the team, he is slow, so pinch running him was out of the question. Freel is much better than him, IMO. The problem is that Dlo was even payed 2 mil in the beginning, a Dlo type player is one that can be found on a lot of minor league clubs, a guy with limited power/range, with a decent average. It isn't like we just waived Kearns who has upside, Dlo is maxed out, we know what we lost. Also Dlo's contract might send a message to LaRue and others...because we didn't cut a cheap contract. I say good move and it's a start of the shakeup that needs to be done.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    I***edit*** Does this mean hes released, or just sent on assignment?
    He has been designated for assignment which means he would have to go through waivers unless we could trade him in the next 10 days

terrible move, he is a fine bench player and a decent starter at second....he is way better than Aurillia!! horrible move

Do you guys think that the Reds front office is trying to send a message to all the other players on DJ's release.Could this be a way of telling the others that if you don't get your head out of your ass you will be sent packing.Or are they that dumb to just release a player without trying to trade for someone better.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    This is not the move I was looking for, but this does no harm to the team, he is slow, so pinch running him was out of the question. Freel is much better than him, IMO. The problem is that Dlo was even payed 2 mil in the beginning, a Dlo type player is one that can be found on a lot of minor league clubs, a guy with limited power/range, with a decent average. It isn't like we just waived Kearns who has upside, Dlo is maxed out, we know what we lost. Also Dlo's contract might send a message to LaRue and others...because we didn't cut a cheap contract. I say good move and it's a start of the shakeup that needs to be done.

As long as it is indeed the start of something bigger. This move alone, does nothing.
    The Official Old Red Guard Points Countdown Timer©
    115 Points to go
    ..as of 7-15-2005

:griffey:
    ...and a high drive, hit back into deep right field,
    Junior has just knocked the door down to the 500 club. - Marty Brenneman, Sunday June 20th, 2004

Designating Jimenez for assignment is a good move. His play has been supbar on offense, and he doesn't do us any favors defensively either. Plus, I'm sure there's probably other factors playing into it that we may not know about.

Now, who will be victim #2? We can only hope Rich Aurilia will be packing shortly.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CalSean
    As long as it is indeed the start of something bigger. This move alone, does nothing.
    And standing pat did what....?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Maybe this is the spark needed to wake this team up and take them to the promised land of 70-92.

Go DanO! You wild man, you.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Maybe this is the spark needed to wake this team up and take them to the promised land of 70-92.

Go DanO! You wild man, you.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman
    Do you guys think that the Reds front office is trying to send a message to all the other players on DJ's release.
    They aren't that smart! If they were, they would release Wilson or Milton. That's a message for you and not releasing a 2nd tier second baseman.

the message being sent is watch, we will keep releasing anyone halfway decent, until we have a roster that should be acheiving the current record, so guys like weber, aurillia, graves are definitely safe!

Turn Off Ads?