Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Help with Ranking starters

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Help with Ranking starters

My rotation looks real good right now with Beckett, Myers, and Randy Johnson, however I'm trying to determine which guy should be my #4. We are on a 1500 inning limit, so 4 starters is a safe limit.

First take a look at our point system and tell me which guy you all would start at #4.

Point system:GS (+5), W (+15), L (-5), CG (+15), SHO (+15), OUT (+1), K (+1), H (-.75), BB (-.75), ER (-2), HBP (-1), WP (-.5), SB (-.5)

-Chacin
    -Cliff Lee
    -Patterson
    -Wade Miller
    -BarryZito

I'm going to dump one or two that don't get enough votes from you guys. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I'm about to dump Zito. Somebody talk me out of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Help with Ranking starters

My guess as far as value for the rest of the season would be:

Cliff Lee
    Barry Zito
    Wade Miller
    Chacin
    Patterson
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Since Wins are so highly valued, I'd go with:

Miller
    Zito (the A's will start hitting soon)
    Lee
    Chacin
    Patterson
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would rank them:

Miller
    Lee
    Zito
    Patterson
    Chacin

I don't like Zito, but I would hang onto him in case he can turn things around. Personally, I would drop Patterson or Chacin before Zito.

Zito
    Lee
    Miller
    Patterson
    Chacin

Well, I added it up and kept Miller and Lee on the roster. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I shopped Zito, Patterson and Chacin but got no bites and since Sheets will be coming off the DL for me soon I dropped the three. I then picked up Campuano from Milwaukee.

I'm in an 11 team league and my rotation now consists of :

1. Josh Beckett
    2. Brett Myers
    3. Randy Johnson
    4. Ben Sheets

With

5. Campuano
    6. Miller
    7. Lee

So, I feel solid at starter. If R.J. gets roughed up again, he's going to the bench and I'll go with one of the three (Campuano, Miller, or Lee). Thoughts???

Now at RP, I have stocked up on a few new closers. My starting bullpen looks like this:

-B.J. Ryan
    -Guardado
    -Walker
    -Bernero
    -Fuentes
    -Borowski
    -Bruney

I'm thinking of dropping Bruney (Lyons to come off DL soon) and picking up MacDougall (KC). Fuentes is shaky too. Bernero is not getting saves opps right now and neither is Borowski. Any ideas on how the above should be ranked?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Now at RP, I have stocked up on a few new closers. My starting bullpen looks like this:

-B.J. Ryan
    -Guardado
    -Walker
    -Bernero
    -Fuentes
    -Borowski
    -Bruney

I'm thinking of dropping Bruney (Lyons to come off DL soon) and picking up MacDougall (KC). Fuentes is shaky too. Bernero is not getting saves opps right now and neither is Borowski. Any ideas on how the above should be ranked?

Thanks again.
    I would rank them just as you have listed them. Keep in mind that the bottom 4 you have won't get you many saves over the remainder of the season. You might want to either keep an eye out for a closer to go down and drop them and pick up their replacements, or pickup "stronger" middle relief pitchers like Rincon, Shields, Donnelly, Crain, etc.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Would you drop Bruney now to pick up Crain? Crain's available.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Would you drop Bruney now to pick up Crain? Crain's available.

Thanks.
    I'd probably wait to see if Lyon comes back for sure first. I have my doubts he'll be activated this weekend. His arm is held together by Elmer's Glue and thumbtacks.

If Lyon does come back, I wouldn't hesitate to drop Bruney for Crain, though.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Reports now are saying that Brandon Lyon is out "indefinately".

They are thinking it may be 2-3 weeks before he even begins throwing again, so Bruney should have some value for a little while yet. I'd hold onto him until Lyon comes back.

Looking over your roster again, I'd drop Fuentes, Bernero, or Borowski for Crain. Probably Fuentes would top my list and then Borowski.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Unfortunately, the D-Backs may be going with the ever popular closer by committee, especially after Bruney's stellar "save" last night.

NEWS: May 26
    SKINNY: Lyon will get a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum concerning his elbow, and there's a possibility that Lyon has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow, which would require Tommy John surgery, the Arizona Republic reports.

ROTOWIRE SPIN: Before Lyon owners panic, we should note that the MRIs Lyon had on both Tuesday and Wednesday did not clearly show a ligament tear, and team physician Dr. Michael Lee did say "most of the ligament looks absolutely perfect and fantastic." However, Lee admitted there were "irregularities" in Lyon's elbow that showed up in the results, which is why he'll ask Yocum for a second opinion, saying "it's an area of concern that we have ... we'll make our decision based on further interpretation." After meeting with Lee, Lyon said "it could be something serious; it could be nothing at all." Brian Bruney has been closing games for Arizona in Lyon's absence, but his status is up in the air after a series of poor outings, and Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin may be considering other options, including Jose Valverde.

I just got a guy to accept a trade that has me sending him Randy Johnson and Cliff Lee for Brian Roberts and Manny Ramirez.

Wow!

To add more depth to my rotation (since I have lost R.J. and Lee) I just picked up Chacin (again) and Dave Williams.

My rotation took a hit, but I still have Beckett, Myers, Sheets, Campuano, with Chacin and Williams backing them up.

Crain got snagged, so I'm stuck with my bullpen as it is, but Ryan and Guardado are ranked #2 and #9 in the RP category in our league, so they are keeping me rolling for now.

Davies (SP for ATL) is available. Should I pick him up?

That's a good trade. Brian Roberts will probably cool off a little bit, but Manny will no doubt heat up soon. And Randy Johnson hasn't been himself, he just hasn't looked good at all this year (well, good for him, his overall numbers are alright, but not RJ numbers). I think Lee is a shade better than Williams, but it's not a big difference.

I guess Davies will stay in the rotation with Hampton coming back b/c John Thomson's injury? Would you have to drop anyone to pick up Davies? Is there anyone else you are considering besides Davies? If it won't cost you anything, I'd say take a flier on Davies, it couldn't hurt.

I was going to drop Bruney or Bernero. I really don't need any relievers that are not better than average closers. Bruney and Bernero are not that right now.

I offered someone else Chavez and Encarnacion (now that my offense just go stronger with the addition of Roberts and Ramirez) for Franciso Cordero.

Turn Off Ads?