Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ohio State Tailback Arrested for Drugs

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Ohio State Tailback Arrested for Drugs

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?s...wire&type=lgns
    OSU tailback arrested for drugs
    By David J. Cross, The Lantern

May 20, 2005 (U-WIRE) COLUMBUS, Ohio -- For the second time in two weeks, an Ohio State football player has been arrested on drug charges.

Erik Haw, an undecided freshman running back, was arrested Wednesday evening outside Baker Hall East for possession of drugs and later released with a court summons for May 27, according to University Police.

According to the University Police report, Lt. Andrew West was patrolling the university area near Baker Hall when he observed Haw and two unidentified males acting suspiciously.

In the report, University Police said West witnessed one of the individuals acting as a "lookout" and that upon seeing a marked police vehicle, that individual alerted the group, who then began to walk away.

West then observed Haw attempt to conceal and later drop something in his left hand, the report said.

West asked Haw what he had dropped and Haw indicated it was a marijuana cigarette, the report said.

"Mr. Haw's activity was suspicious in its own nature," said Rick Amweg, a spokesman for University Police. "It wasn't the officer just arbitrarily going, 'Gee, I'm going to go see what these people are up to.' He saw something that he thought was suspicious -- the fact that somebody was trying to hide or conceal something in their hand from him."

According to the University Police, Hall was charged with a minor misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana, a Schedule I controlled substance. The penalty is a maximum fine of up to $100.

In a news release issued by the university, football coach Jim Tressel, who was attending a meeting in Chicago, said he was disappointed and that he would deal with the situation when he returns to Columbus, Ohio.

Haw will be "required to enter a management and education training program and will undergo frequent evaluation, monitoring and testing by the department's management team," which is part of the Department of Athletics' substance abuse policy, according to the news release.

Haw, a redshirt freshman from Columbus, was rated the top running back in the Midwest and 11th-best running back in the nation in 2004 by SuperPrep, a high-school football recruiting magazine. Haw is also expected to challenge Antonio Pittman for the starting tailback position this season.

This incident marks the second time this month an OSU football player had a encounter with authorities over marijuana. Redshirt freshman place-kicker Jonathan Skeete was arrested in Baker Hall East May 11 for selling about half a pound of marijuana to an undercover police officer. Skeete was suspended indefinitely from the football team.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Tailback Arrested for Drugs

Ohio sports programs are making some good impressions over the past year or so. :/

Man, I thought he really had a shot at getting some significant playing time this year. Now, he's in the doghouse and probably won't get much of a chance, but rightly so.

Oh wow a college student who smokes marijuana, there's a shock.

It's a good thing tOSU fans are more forgiving towards Jim Tressel than some UC fans are towards Bob Huggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

While I don't advocate pot smoking to anyone, I think you don't go overboard in the punishment/disciplinary dept. with anyone. They are dealing with kids here IMO. Discipline him? Yes. But it should also be educational too.

But he did pick the wrong time, seeing OSU's current woes, to get caught in this situation.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    It's a good thing OSU fans are more forgiving towards Jim Tressel than some UC fans are towards Bob Huggins.
    Jim Tressel won a championship, that's his main calling with Buckeye fans. However, I have perceived more and more unrest with Buckeye fans lately concerning Tressel and the football program. Three arrests in 11 days now is getting ridiculous. There was an article in the student paper today bashing Tressel and his discipline in regards to players getting arrested. I think he needs to step up his punishment when a player gets in trouble because it seems like players are just getting slapped on the wrist.

Turn Off Ads?