Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Buying Advice?

Re: Car Buying Advice?

I LOVE buying cars. My wife hates it.
    First of all, I don't buy new cars. Best deals of all are the gazillions of vehicles that are part of the manufacturer buy back programs that exist with the rental companies. I bought 2005 Chrysler T&C last year for $8,000 less than MSRP.

But, sounds like you are going to buy new since you have credit towards GM. In that case, my advice would be the following:

1) Know what your max price is and don't go above it.
    2) Settle on the price of the vehicle before you talk about your trade in. And know what your minimum price is and don't go below it. Better yet, sell your own vehicle yourself.
    3) Walk out if you don't get what you want (as long as your research tells you that you are being reasonable).
    4) Arrange financing outside the dealership. I ended up with dealer financing on our van, but they had to match the bank rate I had received ahead of time.
    5) Don't buy a long term maintenance contract. The likelihood that you will need it probably will not outweigh the costs.
    6) Don't forget, they are trying to make money at every stop during the purchase. Add ons, agreements, extra floor mats (why not just go to autozone, yourself?), everything. Just keep saying, "No, thanks."
    7) Do your research. It's tough not to get outfoxed at the dealership. They know what they are selling and if they are any good, they know how to sell it. Part of their advantage is that they do this everyday and you do it, what, once every five years? Get on the internet, look at Edmunds.com and all those other sites to know your product the best you can.
    8) Be nice. I think a lot of people think car dealers are just slime bags. The truth is, they DO have to make money from your transaction, so there is no reason for you to expect them to give you an unreasonably good deal. And I do better playing the happy but very well informed consumer than I do the crass, hardened negotiator. In a way, I think it is best just to establish with them right up front that you are a reasonable, well informed, no nonesense consumer who will buy on your terms. No need to act like a crank about it.
    9) Shop around. Use the prices you get at one dealer against another. Be honest about it, because chances are they know what's out there and what other dealers are offering. If they didn't, they would not be in business long.
    10) If you are shopping with your spouse, make sure that both of you know what you are doing. My wife and I establish our highest price before we go into the dealership. That way, no matter who the dealer latches onto, we know where we are going.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alright. We bought the G6 GT in Granite Metallic. My wife is happy. We did find out that we had a little extra bonus. When we looked at the website for my wife's GM card, it looked like we would only be able to use $1000 worth of her points towards a G6. However, since she's had her card for 8 years, it was grandfathered in with the old rules, so we were able to use her full amount of points toward the car. It saved us about $3000 of the price of the car.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    We're going out this summer and get us a new vehicle.... but I work at Honda, so we already know what we're looking at - the Honda Pilot.

Those are very nice vehicles. We bought a 2005. Our only negative is that we have to balance out the airflow through the care when we have the windows down otherwise we get an incredibly nauseating headache-inducing reverberation when we have just one window down. I guess this is not an completely abnormal occurence, but in all my vehicles I have ever had, it has never happened before. We are "at least 1 window down" people by and large, and it is a little more than annoying. Otherwise it is a very very nice vehicle 0- incredible ride/handling/etc. You don't make them in Marysville, do you GAC?
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

i sold cars new and used for three years and there is no used car bonus from the manufacturer for selling a certain number of used units, however that is how it works on new cars a lot of times. Getting the best deal is a very easy process. First there is a number of dealerships close to your home. Pick the brand make and model you like. For example the Honda Pilot. Find three honda dealerships close to your home, test drive the vehicle at all three and sit down and negotiate with the sales person. Get the final price from all three dealerships, take the lowest of the three to the closets dealership to your home and tell them that if they beat that number you'll buy it from them right now. Most stores are not going to quote you below invoice and all dealers have whAT is called hold back which is an amount that they get from honda to pay for overhead, most stores will give away a chunk of this money to earn your business"right now". If they won't beat the number by five hundred, you can always leave or keep grinding away as long as you dont go higher than the best deal you were quoted. If you feel uncomfortable at any time leave, remember every dealership pays the same amount for these cars, so they are all able to sell them for the same price. If you want to go even easier go to some dealership web sites and get an internet quote they are usually pretty low then call around and see if anyone will give you a better deal. The most important thing to remember that all dealershipsand salesmen want to do is sell you a car thats the only qway they get paid, so unless they are going to truly lose money on a deal they wont let you leave, if they let you leave maybe your offer is unreasonable. Part of getting a good deal is knowing when you got one.
    Last edited by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM; 05-01-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Watch out for documentation fees, too. They tack those on at the end, usually after the price quote.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Seinfeld episode where he was buying a car...

Putty: state tax, sales tax, excise tax, oversize tax, finder's fee

Seinfeld: Finder's fee?? It on the lot!

Putty: Yeah, that's right.

Last edited by GAC; 05-01-2006 at 08:46 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    I LOVE buying cars. My wife hates it.
    First of all, I don't buy new cars. Best deals of all are the gazillions of vehicles that are part of the manufacturer buy back programs that exist with the rental companies. I bought 2005 Chrysler T&C last year for $8,000 less than MSRP.
    I think it was comedian Patrice O'Neal that once said "Shopping for a used rental car is like going to the strip club looking for a wife. Anything that's been driven that hard and by that many people can't possibly be worth owning"
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Go to: http://www.gm.com/ .. click on shop by model.

It will redirect you to gmbuypower.com (or something like that).
    There's a way to search for a particular car, and then locate all the dealers in your area that have it. You can then request a quote from every dealer for the car you want. You can create an account there or have them email the quote.

When I did it, about 3/4 of the dealers just send you sticker price back (or close to it), but there's some dealers that want to move volume and will give it to you for invoice.

Another tactic is to go into the dealership and say your buddy got a <whatever car you're looking for> at $50 over invoice, and would you match that deal for you. They'll probably say yes, if you come across as a serious guy ready to buy.

Obviously, invoice price doesn't mean as much as it used to, they play games with the numbers now. Some people can get a car for a couple hundred under invoice.

Lastly, if you can wait until August, that's sometimes the best time to buy, as GM starts the rebates then. Selection is more limited then, however. If you wait too long into the rebate season, all that will be left are cars with an excessive amount of options, so you don't get that good of a deal.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    I just wanted to update this and thank everyone for their great advice. It's really come in handy. We were able to stretch out the use of her Cavalier a bit longer, but now it has come to the point where it has started leaking fluids in our garage. So we'll probably close a deal on a car this weekend.
    Is it leaking transmission fluid (check the level there, obviously while the car it running). This is often just a $100 fix. I don't know how old the car is, but there's a seal that vibrates and with age, starts to leak a little bit. Don't assume it's time to throw the car away. I've had this happen on a cavalier (really the only thing that went wrong with it).

Anyhow, might be worth a diagnostic charge, unless you're just dying to buy a new car.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Is it leaking transmission fluid (check the level there, obviously while the car it running). This is often just a $100 fix. I don't know how old the car is, but there's a seal that vibrates and with age, starts to leak a little bit. Don't assume it's time to throw the car away. I've had this happen on a cavalier (really the only thing that went wrong with it).

Anyhow, might be worth a diagnostic charge, unless you're just dying to buy a new car.
    That was just one of the many issues that we had. There was also the fact that the ABS had stopped working years ago, the electrical system had some problem that kept causing the headlights to go out, the AC had a leak that couldn't be repaired for less than $1500,...the list goes on. The electrical problem, the fluid leak and the AC were the most concerning. My wife, who is 6 mos. pregnant, had no desire to spend the summer in a car with no AC, and I had no desire to spend the summer driving to work in a suit and tie in a car with no AC. All in all, we got 142,500 miles out of it, which is pretty good for a Cavalier. It had been through a lot. It was even hit by a deer.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I just wanted to top this since it seemed to be the most relevant thread when I was searching. I am a college student who will be looking for a car come March when I get a co-op away from home. I am looking for a car that gets good gas mileage yet is also stylish. I think my favorite now is a Honda Civic since everything I have read says they are a good buy as used cars. I will probably be looking to spend around $10,000 (less if possible). Most of what I have been shopping is pointing towards a 2000-01 based on price.

Does anyone have any suggestions specific to shopping for used cars? I see a lot of great advice about new cars. Is the negotiation much the same for used cars as new cars? I would assume a lot of the tactics are harder to use since the same car usually isn't at two places. I plan on looking at classifieds, dealers, etc. and I also plan to get the car inspected at a trusted local mechanic before making any purchase.

Also, I will have funds lined up to buy the car so I don't have to worry about financing or anything like that. Does anyone have any other advice concerning used cars?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I just wanted to top this since it seemed to be the most relevant thread when I was searching. I am a college student who will be looking for a car come March when I get a co-op away from home. I am looking for a car that gets good gas mileage yet is also stylish. I think my favorite now is a Honda Civic since everything I have read says they are a good buy as used cars. I will probably be looking to spend around $10,000 (less if possible). Most of what I have been shopping is pointing towards a 2000-01 based on price.

Does anyone have any suggestions specific to shopping for used cars? I see a lot of great advice about new cars. Is the negotiation much the same for used cars as new cars? I would assume a lot of the tactics are harder to use since the same car usually isn't at two places. I plan on looking at classifieds, dealers, etc. and I also plan to get the car inspected at a trusted local mechanic before making any purchase.

Also, I will have funds lined up to buy the car so I don't have to worry about financing or anything like that. Does anyone have any other advice concerning used cars?
    Go during the middle of the week to a used car lot. During the weekend, they are typically swamped and aren't as willing to cut you a deal. During the week, you may be their only shot all night to make some money, so they are way more lienent.

Also - know exactly what the MSRP is on the car you plan to look at - and what the Kelly Blue Book values are. Go in with a plan. Also make sure you check the net out before you go in - a lot of times dealers have lower prices listed online than the tag on the car, and if you don't ask for it, they certainly aren't going to offer.

And Civic's are excellent cars. I would 100&#37; recommend one. My wife has a 2000 Civic she bought four years ago. Gets excellent gas milage, and we really have had zero problems with it. Outside of the damage from an accident she got in when T-boned last year - we've only changed out tires, oil, batteries & the windshield in four years. I've made the offer a few times that we could get a new Nissan Murano or a Honda CRV, something new and bigger, but she won't budge on that car. The only trade in she wants in a new Civic. We even went as so far to take it in earlier this summer to the Honda dealership, and they offered us 7000 for it for trade in. Imagine that - we got it for 9000 four years ago and in four years the value went down 2 grand. Quite impressive.

It's not the zippiest thing in the world, but you can't beat the realiability, the gas mileage. They are a little bit higher priced than most American cars of that size & and year for a huge reason.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 12-11-2006 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Also - know exactly what the MSRP is on the car you plan to look at - and what the Kelly Blue Book values are. Go in with a plan. Also make sure you check the net out before you go in - a lot of times dealers have lower prices listed online than the tag on the car, and if you don't ask for it, they certainly aren't going to offer.
    Very good advice.

Nearly every dealership has good used cars. I prefer to find my used cars at an established dealers lot instead of classified or independant lots. Perhaps you can get a better deal at a "buy here-pay here place" but when the headaches happen, can you trust them to take care of the problems? An established dealer is likely going to be in business, will have a service department and will be there to take care of any problems you have.

I'd also reccomend you write down all of those numbers and have them in front of you. It's easy to forget things once all the numbers start flying during negotiations. I even took a calculator in with me on my last purchase and made the sales guy wait while I played with numbers on each and every offer. (in addition to evaluating the offer it made him very impatient to get the deal done).

Having a "game plan" is key. Have a budget for total amount, monthly amount and so forth....AND STICK TO IT. Prepare yourself to say "no thanks" if the deal isn't right. There are other cars available besides the "dream car" you might have just found. The saleman will try to use the "it's a one of a kind because it's used" argument against you. The simple responce is "I passed 6 used car lots on the way to yours. I'm sure there are other suitable cars there. Now, about that last offer......"

Once you find a car you might be interested in spend some time on the internet looking for reviews, etc. See if there are any forums about that specific car and if so, see what the common complaints are. There will always be complaints about any car, but you have to see if they are just nagging issues or serrious problems. I'd also reccomend doing a CarFax report. They aren't perfect but they can uncover if the car was in an accident, flooded, bad title, etc. It's worth the $25.

Consider extended warrenties but evaluate the costs. Sometimes they can very costly and other less expensive options exist.

Good luck. I've grown to like negotiating for cars. It's a fun game (and sometimes you win a car!).
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 12-11-2006 at 07:19 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Good luck. I've grown to like negotiating for cars. It's a fun game
    Amen.

One of my favorite feelings is talking to the dealer who finished #2 in the bidding. The last time I bought my car, I had 3 different people at "The Southeast's Largest Honda Dealer" call me on separate occasions and ask me to list, line by line, what I was being charged by the dealer who was getting my business.

Having verified the numbers several times, I got this response from each of the 3 people:

"They must be desperate to move cars. We can't touch that price. You've got yourself a heck of a deal."

That sentiment is usually confirmed when executing the financing and insurance details.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

cars.com

beepbeep.com
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?