Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Lottery

Pragmatic Fan

NBA Lottery

Tonight was the NBA Draft Lottery. I wanted to let all the conspiracy theorists out there know that the lowly Milwaukee Bucks won the lottery. Clearly, David Stern had a vested interest in putting the NBA's next superstar in the media center that is Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

FYI, the last time the Bucks had the number one, they took Glen "the Big Dog" Robinson out of Purdue. Here's hoping they can come up with another stud like Big Dog...you can never have enough me-first, one-dimensional scorers on a team.

That being said, I think the NBA Draft has replaced the NFL Draft as my favorite to watch. You can't put a price on watching these crazy foreign guys who paid to come to the draft privately climb down out of the rafters in the second round and shoot an evil glare at the world, then give a television interview in very bad English (read: Maciej "Magic Lamp" Lampe, New York Knicks, 2003; one of the few times I've ever seen New York fans cheer in a draft setting).

Here's the fully story on the lottery:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2067752

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: NBA Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBeaneFan
    FYI, the last time the Bucks had the number one, they took Glen "the Big Dog" Robinson out of Purdue. Here's hoping they can come up with another stud like Big Dog...you can never have enough me-first, one-dimensional scorers on a team.
    "Big Dog" is on the playoff roster for the team in my city that appears after tonight to be a lock for the Finals. He's a role-player who's fitting in nicely down here. That might be some bitter irony for the Bucks if he ends up with a ring this year.
    /r/reds

Pragmatic Fan

There's no denying the guy has been a productive player...he's had numerous years with 20+ PPG. But off the top of my head, I would say the Spurs represent his farthest advance ever into the playoffs...and he is more of a role player now than ever before.

I'm not trying to take away from Robinson. He's had a solid career and made a lot of money doing it. But was it worth the #1 pick?

I'm a Bucks fan and Robinson was pretty much a wasted draft choice for a number one pick. He was a tweener who had a nice shot from 15 feet but thats it. He cannot dribble and he cannot handle the ball. Not much of a rebounder. And , no defense. While in Milwaukee, he did help them get to the conference finals but that was more Ray Allen's doing than Glenn's. A big disapointment. Hopefully they will do better this time. However don't forget their first number one pick back in the 60s when they won a coin flip. Some guy named Alcindor.

I feel bad for Bucks fans if they pick Bogut. He has bust written all over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    Agreed. I think he's going to make Michael Olowakandi look like a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    I was kinda hoping that Tubby Smith game-planned Bogut straight out of the Top 5 in his last college game.

Top 3 picks-
    1.Milwaukee-Andrew Bogut(C-Utah)
    2.Atlanta-Marvin Williams(SF-UNC)
    3.Portland-Chris Paul(PG-Wake)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Role players really don't deserve nicknames like Big Dog.

Lucky for him he got the chance to hook up with a Tim Duncan team.

Here's hoping TD & Co finish off the Suns quickly so that #21 can get some rest for his ankle before the Finals.

Cruisin' for trouble

The Bobcats have two picks in the first (#6 and #13) that they are hoping to use to move up and take Marvin Williams.

As a Hawks fan (yes, there are a few of us left) I'd be thrilled if Bogut slides to #2. I don't see him as a bust, I think he's going to be for real. And they desperately need a center, surprising as it may be Jason Collier isn't exactly the answer. Chris Paul would be a nice consolation prize though, since the point is their next biggest need. What they do not need is Marvin Williams, I will hit the roof if they pick him. Please Milwaukee, do me a favor and remove the temptation for the front office!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Top 3 picks-
    1.Milwaukee-Andrew Bogut(C-Utah)
    2.Atlanta-Marvin Williams(SF-UNC)
    3.Portland-Chris Paul(PG-Wake)
    I'd avoid Bogut and Illinois guard Deron Williams like the plague.

Bogut has some very good offensive skills, but looks stiff and will get schooled by NBA big men who are bigger, stronger, quicker and more experienced. He'll get poster-ized with regularity by guys coming in from the wing. Williams kinda reminds me of Mateen Cleaves, a guy who dominated college ball by overpowering opposing point guards. In the NBA, he won't be able to overpower bigger/stronger guys, and he'll be seriously outclassed in the speed/quickness department on defense.

IMO, the two best guys in the draft are Marvin Williams and Chris Paul. However, in the case of Paul, there aren't a whole lot of 5'11" guys who have carved out big-time NBA careers. Paul will end up as a quality player, but he will be a defensive liability and might be best suited to being a sparkplug off the bench. Net, If I were the Bucks GM, I'd jump all over Marvin Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    The Bobcats have two picks in the first (#6 and #13) that they are hoping to use to move up and take Marvin Williams.
    I don't think #6 and #13 are going to be enough to snag Marvin Williams. Honestly, the Bobcats are in a good position with their current picks. They need depth just as badly as they need an offensive go-to guy. If Chris Paul slips (due to his height), they might get a go-to guy and still have #13 to use for depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    IMO, the two best guys in the draft are Marvin Williams and Chris Paul. However, in the case of Paul, there aren't a whole lot of 5'11" guys who have carved out big-time NBA careers. Paul will end up as a quality player, but he will be a defensive liability and might be best suited to being a sparkplug off the bench.
    You do realize that Paul led the ACC in steals per game (2.38) this year, right?

(By comparison, Felton was at 2.00 and Jarrett Jack was 1.81)

Paul also led the ACC in Assists / Turnovers, at 2.38.

(Felton was 1.93, and Jack was 1.32).

At 5'11", Chris will have issues with bigger guards posting him up. But his quick hands, quick feet, and ability to get off the ground (he can dunk) will allow him to be a solid defender in the NBA, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    At 5'11", Chris will have issues with bigger guards posting him up. But his quick hands, quick feet, and ability to get off the ground (he can dunk) will allow him to be a solid defender in the NBA, IMO.
    I love Chris Paul, and I realize that he has good hands & quickness, but he will have matchup problems on defense every time down the court. He'll be a pest on defense, but more often than not he'll get isolated in a mismatch and give up a high percentage shot. Allan Iverson is always among the NBA leaders in steals, but teams gameplan to go right at him every night. The same thing will happen with Chris Paul. The big question is, will his offensive skills and the occasional steal offset his defensive shortcomings? I think they will, but not to the point where he becomes a star.

I think Paul could be a huge asset to a championship level team as the first guard off the bench. Unfortunately, he'll probably end up as a good offense / poor defense starter who puts up big numbers while playing big minutes for a bad team. IMO, he's a lot closer to Jason Terry than he is to the Answer.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 05-25-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Turn Off Ads?