Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA Lottery

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: NBA Lottery

I think Chris Paul and Ben Gordon are pretty similar so you should look at how gordon had hot and cold nights like all rookies do but I imagine their pro careers are going to be pretty similar. Paul will have more steals but Gordon maybe the better shooter.
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    I think Chris Paul and Ben Gordon are pretty similar so you should look at how gordon had hot and cold nights like all rookies do but I imagine their pro careers are going to be pretty similar. Paul will have more steals but Gordon maybe the better shooter.
    I agree their games are similar, but at 6'3" 200 pounds Gordon is a lot bigger and stronger than the 5'11" 175 pound Paul. Gordon also had the advantage of being able to play off the ball with an stud PG (Hinrich) setting him up. Paul will have to play with the ball and generate his own scoring opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    As a Hawks fan (yes, there are a few of us left) I'd be thrilled if Bogut slides to #2. I don't see him as a bust, I think he's going to be for real. And they desperately need a center, surprising as it may be Jason Collier isn't exactly the answer. Chris Paul would be a nice consolation prize though, since the point is their next biggest need. What they do not need is Marvin Williams, I will hit the roof if they pick him. Please Milwaukee, do me a favor and remove the temptation for the front office!
    Let's see what you think in 3 years when Bogut is riding the pine like Darko and Williams is schooling the entire league.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

The player I like in this draft is Gerald Green. 6'8 SG who is freakishly athletic, reminds me a lot of Tracy McGrady. He would be a nice consolation prize for the Bobcats since I doubt they will get Marvin Williams, but I think they will go the college route again and select Deron Williams.

Count me in the Bogut will be a bust category. He doesnt impress me as a physical specimen, and he got his stats playing in the Mountain West. He might have a future as a PF if used in that role, but I doubt it.

If im Charlotte, I would take Green at 5 and maybe hope Martell Webster falls to 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think the sleeper of the draft will be Hakim Warrick. He could do some major damage if he goes to a fastbreak team. He would be deadly for the Nets, Celtics, Suns, etc. Not saying he will ever be a star, but he could give some instant help to a team.

Of course, whoever picks Chuck Hayes will be getting the best player in the draft.

Pragmatic Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    I'd avoid Bogut and Illinois guard Deron Williams like the plague.

Bogut has some very good offensive skills, but looks stiff and will get schooled by NBA big men who are bigger, stronger, quicker and more experienced. He'll get poster-ized with regularity by guys coming in from the wing. Williams kinda reminds me of Mateen Cleaves, a guy who dominated college ball by overpowering opposing point guards. In the NBA, he won't be able to overpower bigger/stronger guys, and he'll be seriously outclassed in the speed/quickness department on defense.
    I agree about Bogut. He seems soft to me and in the NBA, he won't be able to just out-big people anymore. He does have a nice shot, but that's about all I really like.

I disagree strongly with your Deron Williams assessment, though. This guy is a freak. He's got great size, he'll be able to post a lot of guards up, and he has great floor vision. And it isn't like he can't shoot.
    OPS is all that matters.

Batting average is the bane of my existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblue
    Let's see what you think in 3 years when Bogut is riding the pine like Darko and Williams is schooling the entire league.
    You are nuts if you think Bogut is anything like Darko. Darko may well go down as the worst draft pick in NBA history. That was a guy who had accomplished nothing, he was just picked because he was really young and really tall, so maybe he'll develop into something. Oops. Bogut's already shown he's a skilled player. He could use a little meat on his bones, but he's got talent.

I should point out part of my not wanting Marvin Williams has to do with positions. The one spot the Hawks do have some talent at is forward, they have much bigger needs than to draft another one. Having said that, I'd be a little more impressed with Marvin had he actually been at least able to crack the starting lineup in college.

If you think him not starting is a reason not to draft him, then you obviously shouldn't be evaluating talent.

If you saw the UK/Utah game you wouldn't want to touch bogut with a ten foot pole.

Sorry, bench players just don't excite me. That's the problem with the NBA draft, way too many real young players get picked based off of what they might do, not what they can do. Kwame Brown was supposed to become a great player. Oops. Darko was supposed to develop into a star. Oops. It's like Gerald Green. Everyone raves about his physical ability. He's got the perfect body. One slight problem, he doesn't really know how to play. I'd rather have someone who can actually contribute now. Even when a young guy develops, it takes so long. Look at Jermaine O'Neal. Great player, did absolutely nothing for a couple of years in Portland. By the time he was becoming worthwhile he was already approaching free agency. All Portland did was train him for the Pacers. I'd rather draft someone who can play (and Bogut can play), and sign the Marvin Williams of the world, the ones that pan out, after someone else has done the development work and been saddled with a couple years of unproductivity.

Marvin Williams is supposed to be good. Maybe he will be. I'll let someone else spent three years figuring that out.

Turn Off Ads?