Thread: Fire up the Darwin Awards...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cruisin' for trouble

Fire up the Darwin Awards...

...we have a legitamite candidate.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...htsabers_x.htm

'Star Wars' fans hurt using homemade lightsabers

LONDON (AP) — Two Star Wars fans were critically injured when they tried to replicate the lightsabers used in the movie by filling glass fluorescent light tubes with fuel, police and a news report said Tuesday.

The pair, Mark Webb, 20, and an unidentified 17-year-old girl, were planning to make a video recording of a duel like those in the just-released blockbuster film Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith, Britain's Press Association news agency said.

They were injured when one of the makeshift sabers exploded Sunday evening in the woods in Hemel Hempstead, north of London.

Hertfordshire Police said a third person present when the explosion happened had been questioned. The department said the two who were injured were in critical condition at a burns unit in Chelmsford, Essex.

"At this stage we are unable to confirm the exact circumstances, but glass tubes and traces of accelerant (flammable substance) were found at the scene," police said.

Re: Fire up the Darwin Awards...

We better hope none of todays youth watches the evening news.

They must first shuffle off this mortal coil before they are eligible for the esteemed Darwin award.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    They must first shuffle off this mortal coil before they are eligible for the esteemed Darwin award.
    Sounds like they had a plan - it's the execution that failed them.

Do or do not - there is no "try"!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    But they are eligible for an honorable mention - reserved for those who try, but utimately fail short of the full Darwin Award.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So there apparently isn't enough stuff to kill us. we need to invent more.

there should have been packs of starving carniverous bears roaming the area when these kids were born.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    there should have been packs of starving carniverous bears roaming the area
    As opposed to the herbivore variety?

If you've ever had a homemade lightsaber explode…you might be a Jedi.
    Makes all the routine posts.

For a Level Playing Field

Hertfordshire Police said a third person present when the explosion happened had been questioned.
    Police: So what happened, lad?

3rd person: They just wanted to bloody recreate the bloody movie when all of sudden... the bloody things blew up. Mate, I am telling ya... they just blew up. Then my mates are rolling on the ground... on fire, I'm tellin' ya. My one mate has his bloody hair on fire and the other is just rollin' and screamin'. It was bollocks, I'm tellin' ya. I'm a-yellin' at my mates that the fire thing is not in the bloody movie. For a sec I thought they were trying to re-write the bloody script. Then I realized that the bloody IRA had to have a hand in it, I'm tellin' ya. Long live the queen... and bloody Princess Leia!

suddenly, the Star Wars kid is looking like a freaking genious.

Here's another candidate:

http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach...Ring-Fight.htm

Spectators cheered as entire Cambodian Midget Fighting League squared off against African Lion

Tickets had been sold-out three weeks before the much anticipated fight, which took place in the city of Kâmpóng Chhnãng.

The fight was slated when an angry fan contested Yang Sihamoni, President of the CMFL, claiming that one lion could defeat his entire league of 42 fighters.

Sihamoni takes great pride in the league he helped create, as was conveyed in his recent advertising campaign for the CMFL that stated his midgets will "... take on anything; man, beast, or machine."

This campaign is believed to be what sparked the undisclosed fan to challenge the entire league to fight a lion; a challenge that Sihamoni readily accepted.

An African Lion (Panthera Leo) was shipped to centrally located Kâmpóng Chhnãng especially for the event, which took place last Saturday, April 30, 2005 in the city’s coliseum.

The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the condition that they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras would be allowed in the arena.

The fight was called in only 12 minutes, after which 28 fighters were declared dead, while the other 14 suffered severe injuries including broken bones and lost limbs, rendering them unable to fight back.

Sihamoni was quoted before the fight stating that he felt since his fighters out-numbered the lion 42 to 1, that they “… could out-wit and out-muscle [it].”

Unfortunately, he was wrong.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

It killed 28 of them in 12 minutes? Were they attacking like henchmen in a Bruce Lee movie? Or the old Batman show?

A small pack of hyenas can run off a lion. Most of them fan out in front of the lion, creating multiple targets and freezing the lion. One of the hyenas is left free, and he gets behind the lion and bites at the, um, undercarriage, then retreats. Lather, rinse, repeat, and the lion eventually leaves (usually using only its front legs and dragging its rear).
    Makes all the routine posts.

Cruisin' for trouble

We were discussing this over lunch...wouldn't they at least have a strategy in mind?

We ruled out the idea that they could beat it up or overwhelm it and get it to the ground, so we figured they might have tried to choke it.

Apparently, it didn't work the first 28 times.

You'd think that 42 would be enough to handle the job, but they must have come up a bit short.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds
    You'd think that 42 would be enough to handle the job, but they must have come up a bit short.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Sorry everyone, the Cambodian midgets are a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/lionmidget.asp

Turn Off Ads?