Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish the Size of a Sixth-Grader Caught in Illinois

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Catfish the Size of a Sixth-Grader Caught in Illinois

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/25/big.fish.ap/index.html
    Fisherman hauls in 124-pound catfish

ALTON, Ilinois (AP) -- Tim Pruitt went fishing and pulled up a whopper of a beast.

No, seriously: It was roughly the size of a sixth-grader.

Pruitt, casting his line in the Mississippi River on Sunday, hauled up a 58-inch (146 cm) long, 44-inch (111 cm) around blue catfish that weighed a whopping 124-pounds (56 kg).

To get a sense of just how big that is, the state record holder was a mere 85 pounds (38 kg) and the world record holder tipped the scales at 121 pounds, eight ounces (55 kg).

"My adrenaline was really pumping, so it wasn't that bad," said Pruitt. "Later on, when I was lifting him out of the livewell and into another tank I really felt the weight."

Now, Pruitt, whose fish has already been weighed in the presence of a conservation police officer and measured by a biologist for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, is expected to submit documentation to the International Game Fish Association so that it can be certified a world record holder.

Once that's done, the catch should be approved as the world's largest blue catfish, replacing the current champion that was caught January 16, 2004, in Lake Texoma, Texas, said Becky Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the association.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Catfish the Size of a Sixth-Grader Caught in Illinois

I've seen some monsters pulled from the Ohio River, but I don't ever recall seeing a 124 pounder caught. I live close to Big Darby Creek, and I've also seen some big shovelheads pulled from there.

There's catfish in the Ohio River bigger then that.

I remember many years ago, while visiting relatives in Gallipolis, that divers working on the locks there talked of catfish lying on the bottom that scared the crap out of them.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I have heard that in Lake Cumberland in Kentucky they have some real whoppers as well. As big as people.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    There's catfish in the Ohio River bigger then that.

I remember many years ago, while visiting relatives in Gallipolis, that divers working on the locks there talked of catfish lying on the bottom that scared the crap out of them.
    Speaking of the Ohio River and Gallipolis, wasn't it when that bridge collapsed and they were recovering bodies from the river that the divers would only go down in cages because of the size of the catfish????

Wow! I've seen pictures of 75 pounders. That's just amazing.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Speaking of the Ohio River and Gallipolis, wasn't it when that bridge collapsed and they were recovering bodies from the river that the divers would only go down in cages because of the size of the catfish????
    Yep. They said there were some monsters down there. My dad crossed the "Silver Bridge" about 30 minutes before it collapsed. My mother heard the news that the bridge had collapsed and was very worried because she knew my father would be crossing it around that time. No cell phones back then, so all we could do was wait. I'll never forget how relieved we were when he pulled in the driveway.

GAC is right about those catfish around the Gallipolis locks and dam. We used to fish there, a whole lot, when I was a teenager. We nearly always hooked something that would break our lines. We usually fished out of a boat and would use 50 to 75 lb test line.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    You may be right. It was the Silver bridge. I had a uncle who was getting ready to cross that bridge right before it collapsed but got stopped by the traffic light from Point Pleasant over to Gallipolis. He was sitting at the light when it collapsed. The good Lord obviously was looking over him that day.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think the title of this thread has a misprint...After looking at the picture of Nessy, I believe it should have read: "Sixth-Grader Caught in Illinois AND USED FOR BAIT..."

"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

That's a big fish

I loath fish

Go Gators!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

WSCR here just broke the story that the fish was still alive and was being transported to a Caballo's to become a display but passed away on the way there. Then the guy mentioned the publicity of eating that fish, then he said something about fish that size probably have lots of bad chemicals in them and that they would be dangerous for people to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    WSCR here just broke the story that the fish was still alive and was being transported to a Caballo's to become a display but passed away on the way there. Then the guy mentioned the publicity of eating that fish, then he said something about fish that size probably have lots of bad chemicals in them and that they would be dangerous for people to consume.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    he said something about fish that size probably have lots of bad chemicals in them and that they would be dangerous for people to consume.
    I was thinking that, too. Just imagine how many years that fish had been sifting through the sediment on the bottom of the Mississippi and all of the noxious chemicals it had ingested in the process.
    /r/reds

tommycatluvsme

That fish is a monster.

Turn Off Ads?