Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

Re: Should the Reds trade Dunn, Will They?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Doesn't work for the Reds.

Crawford, for all his speed, will never be able to steal first base. Without an acceptable BB rate, the guy's offensive game plays like a very low OBP doubles hitter. Brazelton was a middling prospect and will be a middling MLB pitcher. Baez is a good reliever, but those can be had without dumping your best player.

If you trade a monster like Adam Dunn, you need an Oliver Perez/Jason Bay++ type of deal coming back. I don't trust this Front Office to be able to find it.
    Good point, I like the Perez-Bay idea. but the Pirates might be the one team that is cheaper than the Reds.
    I have another one, Dunn to the La dodgers of LA for Brazelbon(spelling),Edwin Jackson, and Jason Werth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

It seems that we've had this discussion before. Since you continue to claim that Dunn struggles with RISP, are you of the opinion that BA w/ RISP is a more important stat than OPS w/ RISP?

Gammons has said that there's interest around the league in "the well respected" Sean Casey. I think you'll see the mayor go long before Dunn. What the BBTN guys fail to recognize is that getting rid of SC would work the same as getting rid of one of either Kearns/Dunn/Pena which they seem hell bent on insisting that Cincy must do?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    I hear Pinella first hand every week. He would like a power bat right now, yes....but he also loves the scrappiness/speed/versatility of his players. He loves Crawford too by the way.
    Plus Dunn kills puppies and eats babies.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Good point, I like the Perez-Bay idea. but the Pirates might be the one team that is cheaper than the Reds.
    I have another one, Dunn to the La dodgers of LA for Brazelbon(spelling),Edwin Jackson, and Jason Werth.
    If Dunn is involved in the trade, I'd want a SP prospect better than Jackson...I'd want Billingsley, Brazebon, and Navarro.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    It seems that we've had this discussion before. Since you continue to claim that Dunn struggles with RISP, are you of the opinion that BA w/ RISP is a more important stat than OPS w/ RISP?
    We've all had this discussion with Bad Fundamentals, ad nauseum, yet he continues on...and on....and on.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    If Dunn is involved in the trade, I'd want a SP prospect better than Jackson...I'd want Billingsley, Brazebon, and Navarro.
    I didnt even think about Billingsly, scratch Jackson for him. But Im not sure if LA would give up Navarro, they seem to have catcher issues like the Reds. Thats why I left him out, I would take Werth.

oh i'm of the opinion alright but as snoop noted a search of previous threads would likely bring up a wealth of data on the topic.

I'll give you the condensed:
    When you're batting 5th in a lineup which features 7, 8, 9 hitters who collectively hit like most team's 9 hitter there isn't much value in a 5th hole BB to a guy who doesn't steal bases. You pretty much just add to LOB totals for the game.

OBP and OPS fine for looking at 1, 2, 3 hitters, but yes give me BATTING AVG with RISP for 4, 5, 6 hitters thank you (when looking at RISP situation).

I'd have to pass on that one as well.

Personally, I'd target the Angels right now if I had any interest at all in moving Dunn. Ervin Santana, Dallas McPherson, and Jeff Mathis would have to all be included in that package for me to bite.

But first i'd pimp Kearns or Pena to the Braves (targetting Kyle Davies as the primary in a deal) or Angels (wanting Santana and Mathis in return).

It think we can get what we need without moving Dunn. And if you do move a monster like Dunn, you can't just get "well" from the deal. You have to get strong.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I'd have to pass on that one as well.

Personally, I'd target the Angels right now if I had any interest at all in moving Dunn. Ervin Santana, Dallas McPherson, and Jeff Mathis would have to all be included in that package for me to bite.

But first i'd pimp Kearns or Pena to the Braves (targetting Kyle Davies as the primary in a deal) or Angels (wanting Santana and Mathis in return).

It think we can get what we need without moving Dunn. And if you do move a monster like Dunn, you can't just get "well" from the deal. You have to get strong.
    Obviuosly you know more about the prospects than me, so I wont embarrass myself. I would love the Angels trade, but I cant see us getting all three, maybe 2, but not all three. I would take McPherson and Santana, or Santana and Mathis. Johan/Ervin Santana is the "must-have"

I won't rehash the argument then. Suffice it to say we'll have to disagree on which metrics we use to measure value with RISP.

Although I will ask this: If you think Dunn's numbers w/ RISP are "fine" for a 1, 2, or 3 hitter then shouldn't the onus really be on Miley for not placing him in the proper lineup spot? Its not Dunn's fault that he hits in the five hole. Would you be saying that he's a fine or good hitter with RISP if he were hitting earlier in the lineup?

If we could only get two of those players from LAA, I'd prefer the catcher and the SP, Ervin and Mathis, and let them keep McPherson. I might be reaching, but I think EE will be better than McPherson in time, anyway.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I won't rehash the argument then. Suffice it to say we'll have to disagree on which metrics we use to measure value with RISP.

Although I will ask this: If you think Dunn's numbers w/ RISP are "fine" for a 1, 2, or 3 hitter then shouldn't the onus really be on Miley for not placing him in the proper lineup spot? Its not Dunn's fault that he hits in the five hole. Would you be saying that he's a fine or good hitter with RISP if he were hitting earlier in the lineup?
    agree 100% halycon. I'm not heavy pro or con regarding Miley. I like him and wish he had more to work with but not a huge fan. And on this issue I think he is screwing up royally.

Like Dunn's game or dislike it, Dunn has been fairly consistent for 5 years. I would like to see him get an extended chance in 2 hole (or if arm twisted and pencils held to my eyes) in 3 hole.

The best chance for maximizing Dunn's contribution to TEAM is in a run scoring role - NOT in a role to drive runs in. Let his homeruns be a bonus. Use those BBs and OBP in 2 hole. If his OBP were to drastically fall in 2 hole then you re-evaluate at that point.

Obviuosly you know more about the prospects than me, so I wont embarrass myself. I would love the Angels trade, but I cant see us getting all three, maybe 2, but not all three. I would take McPherson and Santana, or Santana and Mathis. Johan/Ervin Santana is the "must-have"
    If the Angels move off, in any way, the inclusion of all three players, then the name "Dunn" morphs into "Kearns" or "Pena".

And here's a great site to look up those prospects:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/

And as Red Leader mentioned, if I was dealing either Kearns or Pena in that swap, focusing on Mathis and dropping McPherson out would be the best plan based on current need. I would, however, then ask that a low-level arm replace McPherson's name on the list. Not a deal-breaker though.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    If we could only get two of those players from LAA, I'd prefer the catcher and the SP, Ervin and Mathis, and let them keep McPherson. I might be reaching, but I think EE will be better than McPherson in time, anyway.

If EE can cut down those errors, 13 already, he should be here in Sept, then start next year.

Turn Off Ads?