Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

Re: What is Dunn's contract situation?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    BTW, how do reporters get this kind of information. The quoted comments about the chair were extensive.... was the guy in the room for the whole thing? Did he have a tape recorder going in order to get it all?…Are they allowed free access at any time?
    The clubhouse door opens 10 minutes after the end of each game (barring an unusual delay). The reporters are welcome in there any time after that for as long as they like.

Prior to the game, clubhouses are open to the press three and a half hours before gametime, and stay open until 45 minutes before gametime.
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Should the Reds trade Dunn, Will They?

As much as I love Dunn, you have to be a realist. the Reds probably wont be able to resign Dunn when his contract is up in a couple of years. Plus he is arbitration eligible EVERY year untill then, so his price will keep going up. If I had the power, I would have to look at trading Dunn.

If you could get the right deal for Dunn, I would pull it. But what would be the right package. Here is my thought

Dunn to TB for Carl Crawford, Danis Baez, and Dawon Brazelton.

Im not sure if TB would do it, probably not, but I would try it. Crawford is young, FAST, and I believe he is signed for a few years. Baez is good in the pen, and may be able to close for us, and though Brazelton is/was MIA in Durham, I think he has a good future.

All this being said, i dont think they will trade Dunn this year. Maybe in the offseason or next year. I think Lindner and co. are trying to decide wether or not to spend 10 mil a year on Dunn, but I think they will eventually say no.

Thoughts?? other trade Ideas for Dunn??

Re: Should the Reds trade Dunn, Will They?

Man, if Dunn isn't having any fun here, just wait til he gets to play in Tropicana Field. Fun is a curse word there, it feels like your watching a ballgame in a morgue.

I would hold on to him as long as I could. If they trade him it better a home run (pardon the pun).

If you are working under the assumption that there is no way that this team can retain the services of Adam Dunn...then I guess at some point you have to look to deal him and maximize your return.

But until I know for an absolute certainty that the Reds can't lock Dunner up on a long term basis (for fiscal reasons or otherwise), then I make every possible effort to keep him around. Players like him (mega-talent/magnetic personality) don't come around to your favorite teams very often.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    If you are working under the assumption that there is no way that this team can retain the services of Adam Dunn...then I guess at some point you have to look to deal him and maximize your return.

But until I know for an absolute certainty that the Reds can't lock Dunner up on a long term basis (for fiscal reasons or otherwise), then I make every possible effort to keep him around. Players like him (mega-talent/magnetic personality) don't come around to your favorite teams very often.

my thoughts exactly. My trade proposal was under the assumption that they thought they couldnt lock him up for fiscal reasons. I still think they can, but who knows with that FO. Heres to Dunn being a Red for another decade+

Pinella wouldn't want Dunn.

I think if the Reds had a classy organization, more players would want to stay/come here and we wouldn't be having these conversations every year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Pinella wouldn't want Dunn.
    Wanna bet? I'm not necessarily sayin that the DRays would go for the above trade. But I do think he'd probably have a strong interest in Adam Dunn. He's got too much power and on base skills for even the oldest of old schoolers to ignore.

Will they? ... Probably

Should they? ... Only for the right deal (eg: not prospects), but I have no faith in DOB to make the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    As much as I love Dunn, you have to be a realist. the Reds probably wont be able to resign Dunn when his contract is up in a couple of years. Plus he is arbitration eligible EVERY year untill then, so his price will keep going up. If I had the power, I would have to look at trading Dunn.

If you could get the right deal for Dunn, I would pull it. But what would be the right package. Here is my thought

Dunn to TB for Carl Crawford, Danis Baez, and Dawon Brazelton.

Im not sure if TB would do it, probably not, but I would try it. Crawford is young, FAST, and I believe he is signed for a few years. Baez is good in the pen, and may be able to close for us, and though Brazelton is/was MIA in Durham, I think he has a good future.

All this being said, i dont think they will trade Dunn this year. Maybe in the offseason or next year. I think Lindner and co. are trying to decide wether or not to spend 10 mil a year on Dunn, but I think they will eventually say no.

Thoughts?? other trade Ideas for Dunn??
    Doesn't work for the Reds.

Crawford, for all his speed, will never be able to steal first base. Without an acceptable BB rate, the guy's offensive game plays like a very low OBP doubles hitter. Brazelton was a middling prospect and will be a middling MLB pitcher. Baez is a good reliever, but those can be had without dumping your best player.

If you trade a monster like Adam Dunn, you need an Oliver Perez/Jason Bay++ type of deal coming back. I don't trust this Front Office to be able to find it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    Wanna bet? I'm not necessarily sayin that the DRays would go for the above trade. But I do think he'd probably have a strong interest in Adam Dunn. He's got too much power and on base skills for even the oldest of old schoolers to ignore.
    Pinella would have no interest in that many strikeouts and RISP struggles like that. Pinella was a Charlie Lau guy - all about the science of hitting etc. etc........he wouldn't want that kind of one dimensionality.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Pinella would have no interest in that many strikeouts and RISP struggles like that. Pinella was a Charlie Lau guy - all about the science of hitting etc. etc........he wouldn't want that kind of one dimensionality.
    Okay, I get it, Adam Dunn did something mean to you when you were children. It's time to move on big guy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

I hear Pinella first hand every week. He would like a power bat right now, yes....but he also loves the scrappiness/speed/versatility of his players. He loves Crawford too by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Okay, I get it, Adam Dunn did something mean to you when you were children. It's time to move on big guy.
    this must be your big day huh? finally get to take a pot shot at me....enjoying it? congratulations

Turn Off Ads?