Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

Re: What is Dunn's contract situation? Should the Reds trade him?

Can anyone give me a good rundown on Santana? I'd never heard of him until last week when I went to the Indians/Angels game and he was pitching. He was absolutely horrible, served up batting practice to a team with 3 sub-.200 batters in the lineup. There must obviously be something more to him if his name is being thrown around in a Dunn trade idea, what's his story?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Santana pitched a complete game Shutout ibelive a few days ago, he looked VERY good.

evrin Santana

Year Team Lg Age Org Lvl W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
    2003 Rancho Cucamonga Calif 20 Ana A 10 2 2.53 20 20 1 0 0 0 124.2 98 44
    ER HR BB SO WP BK h9 hr9 w9 k9 whip
    35 9 36 130 14 7.07 0.65 2.60 9.39 1.07

Year Team Lg Age Org Lvl W L ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
    2003 Arkansas Tex 20 Ana AA 1 1 3.94 6 6 0 0 0 0 29.2 23 15 13 4 12 23 1
    ER HR BB SO WP Bk9 h9 hr9 w9 k9 whip
    6.98 1.21 3.64 6.98 1.18

2004 Arkansas Tex 21 Ana AA 2 1 3.30 8 8 0 0 0 0 43.2 41 19 16 3 18 48 5 8.45 0.62 3.71 9.89 1.35

a little hard to read, but good numbers nontheless, i did my best to edit it
    Last edited by guttle11; 05-27-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Can anyone give me a good rundown on Santana? I'd never heard of him until last week when I went to the Indians/Angels game and he was pitching. He was absolutely horrible, served up batting practice to a team with 3 sub-.200 batters in the lineup. There must obviously be something more to him if his name is being thrown around in a Dunn trade idea, what's his story?
    22 Years old.

Minor League stats- Through 2004

7.36 Hits per 9IP
    3.00 BB per 9 IP
    9.89 K per 9 IP
    0.73 HR per 9 IP

That's a complete package and those numbers were put up while primarily pitching against older competition at each level (he was rushed to AA at age 20).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The mention of Bay and Perez (I believe this was what Pittsburgh got for Giles) made me wonder what comparable trades have been made in recent years. Brian Giles may be comparable in skill but their was a contract in place already. What would be the most similar situation- high level position player, arbitration eligible for time to come, no free agency in next year. Soriano comes to mind but that and most things Yankee are not easy comparisons. Sexton from Milwaukee to Arizona? Beltran to Houston was a rental trade. This would be a possible indicator of the market. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Like Dunn's game or dislike it, Dunn has been fairly consistent for 5 years.
    Adam came up to the big leagues in August of 2001... or are you including his performance in the minors?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If the Reds trade him, I sure hope they atleast get a good #1 starter for him.

Quote Originally Posted by klw
    The mention of Bay and Perez (I believe this was what Pittsburgh got for Giles) made me wonder what comparable trades have been made in recent years. Brian Giles may be comparable in skill but their was a contract in place already. What would be the most similar situation- high level position player, arbitration eligible for time to come, no free agency in next year. Soriano comes to mind but that and most things Yankee are not easy comparisons. Sexton from Milwaukee to Arizona? Beltran to Houston was a rental trade. This would be a possible indicator of the market. Any ideas?
    Giles, at nearly 9M bucks per season is a pretty good comp of a guy you should get less for than Dunn considering age and contract. And the 29-year old Sexson, although not being talent-equitable to Dunn and with only one season left on his contract at 8.6M, brought back this:

Lyle Overbay
    Junior Spivey
    Craig Capuano
    Jorge De La Rosa
    Craig Counsell
    Chad Moeller

J.D. Drew, with only one season left on his deal, netted the Cardinals Adam Wainwright and Jason Marquis.

I want more than any team received in any of those deals if the guy I'm trading is Adam Dunn- particularly when any team dealing for Dunn right now is going to be able to exercise control over him for more than a single season.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Adam came up to the big leagues in August of 2001... or are you including his performance in the minors?
    I'm including 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 20005

just let me know if you need further clarification

Retired

Do I need to remind some folks about rule 5?

5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please

In this case, the title of the thread asks whether or not the Reds should trade Dunn. I don't think Rule 5 should apply -- unless praise of Dunn is all that is acceptible. Yes, most of this stuff has been debated (and debated and debated) before, but in this case it's pertinent to the question asked by the person who started the thread.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    In this case, the title of the thread asks whether or not the Reds should trade Dunn. I don't think Rule 5 should apply -- unless praise of Dunn is all that is acceptible. Yes, most of this stuff has been debated (and debated and debated) before, but in this case it's pertinent to the question asked by the person who started the thread.
    The rules apply everywhere, not just selective threads. Some folks in this thread have been warned in the past because of this same activity.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The rules apply everywhere, not just selective threads. Some folks in this thread have been warned in the past because of this same activity.
    Who do you think you are? A mod or something?

oh....

nevermind.

So new information, new events, new posters, new interpretations Reds4Life but because YOU have read particular "folks" opinions on a topic (the thread topic) at some point in the PAST you would prohibit those "folks" from taking part in a discussion? That's pretty silly.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    So new information, new events, new posters, new interpretations Reds4Life but because YOU have read particular "folks" opinions on a topic (the thread topic) at some point in the PAST you would prohibit those "folks" from taking part in a discussion? That's pretty silly.
    I'm not prohibiting them from discussing anything, just you from getting on your Adam Dunn soapbox yet again. We know your thoughts and position on Mr. Dunn, and have heard them repeatedly; we don’t need to hear it again.

Turn Off Ads?