Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: With Popcorn, DVD's and TiVo, Moviegoers Are Staying Home

Re: With Popcorn, DVD's and TiVo, Moviegoers Are Staying Home

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    If Hollywood decides it needs to change something, I hope they decide to make movies with...(brace yourselves here)...a good plot! Instead, I fear they'll drag out bigger and better special effects instead.
    I think the reason they recycle these old TV shows is because it's a known quantity. The studios don't want to take big risks on a movie even if the plot is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    of course, the setting also has a lot to do with it. in seeing Return of the King, i sat near what was probably one of the stupidest human beings on the face of the earth, who had such ground-breaking comments as "boy...sure is taking them a long time to get to the mountain!" "Doesn't that hurt their feet?" and "Are those people supposed to be dead or something?"
    and why parents insist on bringing their kids to some movies is beyond me. The Ring is not a good movie to bring your kids to. The Perfect Storm is going to be a long and boring movie for many kids (as well as adults). Let's not even go into the infamous Schindler's List experience, where the lights had to be turned on three times to get people there to shut up. Next time i go to the movies, i will be armed with extra rolls of duct tape. and, no, it will not be for the theater's duct work.
    Ha ha, Piqua is the WORST place I know of to watch a movie. When I went to the Cinemark Movies 6 Cinema there we had an entire theater threatened with arrest, a couple having sex in the theater, people smking marijuana in the theater, kids stealing marquee signs on their way into the theater. I gave up a long time ago and started going to the Dayton area, long before I moved down here, to catch my flicks.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think the reason they recycle these old TV shows is because it's a known quantity. The studios don't want to take big risks on a movie even if the plot is good.
    Oh, I don't disagree with you, Chip. The problem I have is that McDonald's is a known quantity, as well, and I would equate much of what rolls out of Hollywood as the cinematic equivalent to fast food.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

My big complaint with going to the movies right now is the commercials that play before the films. I'm not talking about the previews, I love those, but the ads for soft drinks, video games and standonline.org. There is already enough product placement in today's Hollywood films, I don't need to watch commercials at the theater as well. With commercials at the theater and edgier, better written television shows, the gap between the two is increasingly shortening.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    I remember hearing on the news that some places were going to start using a cell phone scrambler so people could not use their phones while watching a movie?

Anyone else ever hear that?
    The $10,000+ fine that the FCC levies for devices that jam wireless phone signals will probably prevent that from happening. Nothing to stop companies from building theatres with wire mesh in the walls to prevent wireless phone signals from going in and out, though.
    /r/reds

Pragmatic Fan

The only time I go to a theater any more is for indie flicks. The Esquire and the Mariemont are both great theaters, resources that Cincinnati movie fans should be proud of. I am an Ohio State student and it's been hard to find something comparable in Columbus, so whenever I'm home in Cincy, I try to take in a film or two at the Esquire. The movies they show at the arthouses are hard to find in video stores, so that's how I justify the expenditure.

The last mainstream movie I saw in a theater was "Vanity Fair" at the Westchester Rave last summer. Why should I pay $8 to see a movie? I can rent it for free at the library or for a couple bucks at Blockbluster. What is the point?

If theaters lowered prices to say, $5, I would have no problem going. But an $8 ticket is simply absurd.

Finishing up my HT this weekend. Like most people have said, I don't make it to the theater much any longer. I do like going, however, and will continue to see "Star Wars"-esque features, I'm sure.

I am an Ohio State student and it's been hard to find something comparable in Columbus
    http://www.drexel.net/
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Pragmatic Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Yeah, heard of it, but don't know where it is.

I will check it out, though.

tommycatluvsme

TiVo is great.

I don't go to the theater unless it's a "must see" movie I have to catch opening weekend (and that doesn't happen too much.) I saw "Revenge of the Sith" and plan on seeing "Batman Begins" and "Fantastic Four" (though I have free tickets to that one.)

Hollywood shouldn't freak out too much just yet, the summer movie season is just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycatluvsme
    TiVo is great.
    Yes it is
    Go Gators!

I saw SW3-RotS on opening night, and the theater was PACKED! me and a friend sat outside for 2hrs in a line and we got the last two tickets and they gave us free lightsabers and everything, it was awesome, so that brought movie theaters up a couple notches on my stick
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBeaneFan
    The only time I go to a theater any more is for indie flicks. The Esquire and the Mariemont are both great theaters, resources that Cincinnati movie fans should be proud of. I am an Ohio State student and it's been hard to find something comparable in Columbus, so whenever I'm home in Cincy, I try to take in a film or two at the Esquire. The movies they show at the arthouses are hard to find in video stores, so that's how I justify the expenditure.

The last mainstream movie I saw in a theater was "Vanity Fair" at the Westchester Rave last summer. Why should I pay $8 to see a movie? I can rent it for free at the library or for a couple bucks at Blockbluster. What is the point?

If theaters lowered prices to say, $5, I would have no problem going. But an $8 ticket is simply absurd.
    Ewww. Indie movies.

Ewww. Vanity Fair.

Actually, a movie is a great place to spend a summer afternoon when you want to do something but it's too hot to do anything else. Matinee prices aren't all that bad, and there's not much at the snackbar I can eat.

Turn Off Ads?