Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

Re: What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn
    I would prefer a site like Reds Liver over the homerism and and tight nit group on the other board.
    Mmmmmm, liver....with onions!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

My $.02-

For the most part, I echo MWMs post regarding the quality of posts. The gamethreads were becoming a constant pain to read through with the likes of "Rich Aurilia Sucks!" and the Non Baseball Chatter was a constant problem with the political threads.

When the reputation system began and the two forums were split, the difference became noticeable. Some people began changing their posting habits so they could get back into the circle, while others either left or continue their style of posting, not really caring if they ever made it to TORG.

Are there problems with the reputation system? You bet. Team Clark was dinged in a thread because he refused to give up his source on Danny Graves getting released. There have been other situations as well. But while the system isnt perfect, its a WHOLE lot better than what we had.

I can tell a major difference by just looking at the Non Baseball Chatter. We havent had near the political arguments that turned absolutely disgusting because people have a reputation to maintain. The quality of the board overall has went up.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    In the meantime, enjoy Reds Live.
    I like to enjoy RedsZone, just happens Reds Live is where I have to post.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn
    The 2 boards are equal to "it's my ball, and if you can't play by my rules, I'm taking my ball to another place where all the players play alike" However, there right, if we don't like it, we can go somewhere else. I would prefer a site like Reds Liver over the homerism and and tight nit group on the other board. I need to be careful, they may ban me.
    The 2 boards are still RedsZone...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I must say I have mixed feelings about this thing.
    First I would challenge anyone living to being a bigger REDS fan than I.
    I have followed this team since 1970, through the good and the bad. I have praised and I have blasted players during these times. In 1990 I lived in Atlanta Ga, before the internet and I would sit in my car trying to pick up WLW ON MY RADIO because I could not sleep until I knew if we won or lost. And if we lost I could not sleep anyway LOL. My Son is a huge A's fan so to say that Wrold Series was special is an understatement. I have been this way since day one with this team. I am not as knowlegable as many here about stats and numbers but that does not make me less of a fan. I have been a member here for years. I usually read and don't post much. I have made a few post since this new thing started only to see nothing happen to my points. And you will NEVER see me BEG for them. I can understand not wanting posters that post all negative remarks, but why can't they be delt with individually. I will still come here and read, and make a post every now and then, but probl never get enough points to post on the other board, and quite frankly I find that a bit insulting. Someone refered to the other board as the majors and this board the minors. AGAIN, I would challenge anyone living to being as big a fan as me. I love this team. I get angry when they do stupid things, I scream when they do great things, and I will drive over 450 miles one way every year to watch them play live. This is just one fans voice, not meaning to undermine what the MOD's here have done. It is their board and they are entitled. I just can't say I agree
    Ted
    Fan since 1970

I liked having one board because it seems it took less time to read one as opposed to two.

That being said, however, I've seen much less blasting of individuals and more intelligent baseball discussion since the new system was introduced. It hasn't totally been eliminated mind you but it has definitely improved. And this applies to BOTH forums!

Speaking of both forums, I enjoy reading and posting on Reds Live just as much as The Old Red Guard, and I don't prefer one over the other.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I think it's good. It separated two groups of people who were equally responsible for much the noise. (Sent everyone to their corners.) It also simply separated the large population. There were just too many people on one board.

I read both boards and find good stuff on both. I don't mind redundant threads between the two, the discussions sometimes take different, interesting courses.
    I think TC hit it right on the head. No one is saying that one side is for "bigger Reds fans" than the other. The two boards are just different.

And I actually find it takes LESS time to read the board because I can pick and choose better what I read and when I read it.

For those who think it takes too long to read posts with two forums in place, there's a simple way around that: by clicking on the "New Posts" link in the navigation bar. It shows you all the new posts from all forums since your last visit, so I don't see how having another forum could use more of your time.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew

Quote Originally Posted by redram
    I must say I have mixed feelings about this thing.
    First I would challenge anyone living to being a bigger REDS fan than I.
    I have followed this team since 1970, through the good and the bad. I have praised and I have blasted players during these times. In 1990 I lived in Atlanta Ga, before the internet and I would sit in my car trying to pick up WLW ON MY RADIO because I could not sleep until I knew if we won or lost. And if we lost I could not sleep anyway LOL. My Son is a huge A's fan so to say that Wrold Series was special is an understatement. I have been this way since day one with this team. I am not as knowlegable as many here about stats and numbers but that does not make me less of a fan. I have been a member here for years. I usually read and don't post much. I have made a few post since this new thing started only to see nothing happen to my points. And you will NEVER see me BEG for them. I can understand not wanting posters that post all negative remarks, but why can't they be delt with individually. I will still come here and read, and make a post every now and then, but probl never get enough points to post on the other board, and quite frankly I find that a bit insulting. Someone refered to the other board as the majors and this board the minors. AGAIN, I would challenge anyone living to being as big a fan as me. I love this team. I get angry when they do stupid things, I scream when they do great things, and I will drive over 450 miles one way every year to watch them play live. This is just one fans voice, not meaning to undermine what the MOD's here have done. It is their board and they are entitled. I just can't say I agree
    Ted
    Fan since 1970
    Rest assured, save for one post in this thread (which is not accurate), no one thinks anyone with posting ability on ORG is a bigger, more dedicated fan than someone without it. We're all pretty big Reds' fans for being here in the first place, right?

University of Cincinnati

I didn't realize when i posted this late last night i was going to get such an outcry. Like many of the people who dislike it i simply don't see the point of it still. Someone can post ignorant threads on Reds Live still so what exactly has been accomplished. Most of the time i just read peoples messages and either laugh or ignore them and do not respond that often (as you can see only 250 some posts in 4 years). Now when i see a post i totally disagree with i would like to be able to respond in a different opinion. I just dont see the point of having the ability to see two boards and only being able to post in one. I have never had a bad post since before redszone days when the "originals" were posting on cincinnati.com, but with these reputation points what do i have to prove?
    THE University of Cincinnati

One of the other alternatives was to make it a pay forum, would that have made everyone happier that is currently not happy about the set up? Or a completely private board to where only certain people could post or read, is that what people want? While you may not agree with it, be happy that you can post at all here.

Redsman, regarding your post:

This is what I would of done.

1) Freeze the account list from the day you set up RedsLive! Who ever was on site before that time would have acess to posting to the ORG Board....

2) If your account has been inactive for some time, then you don't get to post on that board.

Of course, if you've been here for awhile.. you get to stay on with the others untill you prove that you are not worthy of posting on the board.
    How exactly would #1 have solved the problems as the problems were rampant with the membership that was in tact when Live was formed? Regarding # 2, many of the people that used to post here were not actively posting BECAUSE of the horrible shape the board was in.

At some point I hope any mention of the current system gets a thread locked. It is there, everyone can still post, everyone can still read. If a thread is discussed only in ORG anyone can start the same thread in the Live forum.

Anyone that was a member of this forum could have had access to ORG if they had simply purchased a 1 month subscription at any time, which if I remember was $3.00?

By no means is the current system perfect, there are people that post in ORG that are troublemakers and pain in the butts, but over all the change in attitudes and posting have been completely turned around. I was not sure in the beginning it would work, but I was wrong and am very glad to see how it has changed the over all feel of the board. People do not want to get dinged so they pay more attention to what they say, or rather HOW they say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Rest assured, save for one post in this thread (which is not accurate), no one thinks anyone with posting ability on ORG is a bigger, more dedicated fan than someone without it. We're all pretty big Reds' fans for being here in the first place, right?

You are Correct Sir.

I just wanted to add that I don't thing getting to post in ORG and only being able to post in Live are making the difference in the quality of the board. I think it is the fact that such a drastic change was made that people are putting more thought into it and into their posts.

It was an attention getter in my opinion. People are more aware now.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    At some point I hope any mention of the current system gets a thread locked. It is there, everyone can still post, everyone can still read. If a thread is discussed only in ORG anyone can start the same thread in the Live forum.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

TeamDunn raises some really good points and I want to remind everyone about some of those:

One of the other alternatives was to make it a pay forum, would that have made everyone happier that is currently not happy about the set up? Or a completely private board to where only certain people could post or read, is that what people want? While you may not agree with it, be happy that you can post at all here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    The Son's of Sam Horn decided to close their forum and only allow applications for entry. Boss and I felt that policy was too subjective. How are we (Boss and I) supposed to know how much of a benefit you or anyone else will be to the community from a two paragraph essay? It's impossible. I don't want to know your baseball qualifications, I want to see you post. And I want the community to vote, not the owners. Maybe I'm wrong, but in my eyes it's a better system.
    As I've said several times, shutting the board off COMPLETELY to new registrations and those who didn't register in 2000 or was a subscriber was an extremely viable possibility that we strongly considered. If you don't believe me, go check out what they've done at the Sons of Sam Horn message board and then come and talk to me about 'getting the shaft'.

Anyone that was a member of this forum could have had access to ORG if they had simply purchased a 1 month subscription at any time, which if I remember was $3.00?
    By no means is the current system perfect, there are people that post in ORG that are troublemakers and pain in the butts, but over all the change in attitudes and posting have been completely turned around. I was not sure in the beginning it would work, but I was wrong and am very glad to see how it has changed the over all feel of the board. People do not want to get dinged so they pay more attention to what they say, or rather HOW they say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIK
    We fully understand that there will be plenty of backlash toward this drastic change in the way the site operates. We imagine most of the criticism will be along the lines of only allowing the people we like to post or that your freedom of speech is being suppressed (despite this being a privately run site). We anticipate this and welcome feedback and questions about this new change. If that is how you feel, I suggest visiting the Sons of Sam Horn site, a similar style message board for Boston Red Sox fans. Their site experienced similar problems to what we’re having and made the decision to not allow any new members without first submitting an application as to why they belong on the site. We could have just as easily done something like that, but we want to continue to give a voice to those who weren’t with us from the beginning or have not subscribed in the past. If you’re unhappy about this decision, the great part about it is that your peers will be the ones to rate the quality of your posts and this will be the deciding factor as to who can post in the main forum. However, one thing that we absolutely will not do is go back on this decision just because some are unhappy about it. The board currently has over 2,300 registered members and if there’s one thing we’ve learned from this, it’s that it’s impossible to please everyone. A lot of time and research went into this decision and it’s one that has the full support of both of us.

Cincinnati Reds Talk will follow the simple mission statement RedsZone had upon its creation: "Intelligent baseball discussion. Quality over quantity."

GIK and Boss-Hog
    RedsZone.com Co-Founders

Turn Off Ads?