Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    University of Cincinnati

What's the point?

Ok, everyone can post in Red's Live, but only experienced members can post in Old Red Guard? I don't really understand why we have to look at two boards and only be allowed to post in 1.....I've been here since this thing pretty much started and i dont know if i necessarily find it insulting, but im pretty disappointed this board once was "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" has now only turned into experienced or paying members only for the Old Reds Guard board....Personally i unfortunately can't sponser any money into this site b/c im in college and am pretty much dead broke. Besides what exactly does it prove being able to have two boards and being allowed to only post on 1? Why not have 1 completely unseen from people that are "inexperience" or "non-paying"? I dont know it really just hit me tonight that its kind of ridiculous that it has been spread apart like this.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Re: What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Ok, everyone can post in Red's Live, but only experienced members can post in Old Red Guard? I don't really understand why we have to look at two boards and only be allowed to post in 1.....I've been here since this thing pretty much started and i dont know if i necessarily find it insulting, but im pretty disappointed this board once was "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" has now only turned into experienced or paying members only for the Old Reds Guard board....Personally i unfortunately can't sponser any money into this site b/c im in college and am pretty much dead broke. Besides what exactly does it prove being able to have two boards and being allowed to only post on 1? Why not have 1 completely unseen from people that are "inexperience" or "non-paying"? I dont know it really just hit me tonight that its kind of ridiculous that it has been spread apart like this.
    The orginal and more dedicated posters were getting tired of hearing all of the constant complaining and insulting posts going on so they put an end to it. All of the whiners were newer posters that weren't as dedicated to the Reds as they were. I think it was a great idea. Those that prove that they are true fans and are knowledgeable will eventually make the ORG and those that whine will not be rewarded. It makes good sense IMO.

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    The orginal and more dedicated posters were getting tired of hearing all of the constant complaining and insulting posts going on so they put an end to it. All of the whiners were newer posters that weren't as dedicated to the Reds as they were. I think it was a great idea. Those that prove that they are true fans and are knowledgeable will eventually make the ORG and those that whine will not be rewarded. It makes good sense IMO.
    Where did you come to that conclusion? Are you saying that fans that spend hundreds of dollars per year to watch the Reds (or even buy a subscription to watch them on television), but don't come to this site, aren't "true fans"? Do you think that posters with thousands of posts here are more of a fan than those that who have only a few posts? Please, for your own sake, think about it.

Disagree AK. Who is to asertain who is 'more' dedicated to the Reds? You don't think 'whining' isn't going on there? Think again.

And please define what 'proves' they are 'true fans'? Is it the ones that agree with the stat crowd ad nauseaum for fear of being beaten into submission by multiple posts submitted by that clique? Or is it the ones that actually observe the game and form their opinions based upon observation in real time?

And what qualifies as 'knowledgeable'? Is it someone that can break down a stat sheet or is it someone that can recognize a flaw in a swing or a pitching delivery?

Sorry, but if it's going to be a discussion board, you have to allow all opinions and let readers agree or disagree.

As to your statement, 'it makes good sense', I definately disagree.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Disagree AK. Who is to asertain who is 'more' dedicated to the Reds? You don't think 'whining' isn't going on there? Think again.

Rem
    Well it's pretty easy to tell by the amount of fans who lose interest when the Reds start losing. Have you noticed how the original posters havn't declined while a large sum of the newer posters have started posting less as the year has gone along.

The switch to two boards needed to be made. I read this forum daily and near the end of the one board system it was getting almost unreadable. People were whining over the same things over and over. the quality in the posts were lacking greatly. I can see some posters like Wheelhouse that have a beef since they are veterans of Redszone. with the two board I find reading them has become much easier. you really only need to read just one of them since they seem to contain the same information and discussion topics.

I can understand many people disagreeing with my original post but I don't see how it can be considered "laughable". I made a fair argument. I understood what had to happen. People can still post on RedsZone while giving the veteran posters an alternative by discussing with some of the more knowledgeable fans. I know there are some very knowledgeable fans on this board too. If they are, then the people on ORG will likely give you enough rep points to go up quickly. I hate to single out some people but look at Caveat Emporor, Joseph, Matt700WLW and many others that moved up very quickly.

It's not that difficult to get rep points anyways. For example I have almost as many rep points as I do posts. and how about BillyBeaneFan, he joined all of like a week ago and I believe he is more than half to 200 posts.

Agree or disagree with the decisions, but it has worked and I bet the majority of the posters would agree with that.

Monger

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    And please define what 'proves' they are 'true fans'? Is it the ones that agree with the stat crowd ad nauseaum for fear of being beaten into submission by multiple posts submitted by that clique? Or is it the ones that actually observe the game and form their opinions based upon observation in real time?

And what qualifies as 'knowledgeable'? Is it someone that can break down a stat sheet or is it someone that can recognize a flaw in a swing or a pitching delivery?

Sorry, but if it's going to be a discussion board, you have to allow all opinions and let readers agree or disagree.

Rem
    So, is it your experience that ORG posters are all sabermetricians and dont give out rep points to any post unless it espouses that viewpoint?

As to your question about the definition of knowledgeable, I would say either skill would make one knowledgeable about baseball. I would also say that the ability to observe and understand both would enhance one's baseball experience as well as make for the most intellectually stimulating conversation.

I am a new member, so I cannot say if this system is better than the old system. I can say that I come here to have discussions with knowledgeable fans who root for the same team as me. Since I can do that, I am happy. If I am able to accumulate rep points so that I am invited to join a group of discussions in addition to these, I would happily do both.

I actually laughed out loud when I read this...Dude...way to stir the pot...really...very funny.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

As it states to the left of my name, i joined this site in January of this year. I will say in my opinion that the split has really helped the quality of conversation on this board, everyone probably has a different opinion of why that is and people are entitled to that opinion. I myself think that it is simply because people are attempting to articulate what they are saying more carefully, trying to be less abrasive therefore making their point in a better manner therefore gaining rep points, and there is nothing wrong with that, like I said, better conversation.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Yeah -- But the rep points are very bias.

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

FYI...I have never and will never give out negative rep points - I just ignore the post. AND I only give our positive points to posters on Reds Live!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

It's unfortunate that something like that happens. Lord knows I've gotten several PMs complaining about that very thing. That's not what giving positive or negative rep points is about. But no system is perfect and this is the best we have come up with. We have made posts and sent e-mails to ORG members to use the rep point system for its intended purpose - to reward posters for good post content and vice versa. The vast majority abides by this but there isn't a whole hell of a lot we can do about it if they don't. All I can say is that if you make good posts, eventually you will be rewarded. In the meantime, enjoy Reds Live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    In the meantime, enjoy Reds Live.
    I like to enjoy RedsZone, just happens Reds Live is where I have to post.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Agree with beb30. Not to mention, it's a pain in the butt to have to read both 'mini-boards' and, basically, read redundant threads.

Rem

Its really hard to get rep point if u just started out and u dont have any buddies to give u rep points,
    Anyone wanna be my buddy??
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Turn Off Ads?