Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

University of Cincinnati

What's the point?

Ok, everyone can post in Red's Live, but only experienced members can post in Old Red Guard? I don't really understand why we have to look at two boards and only be allowed to post in 1.....I've been here since this thing pretty much started and i dont know if i necessarily find it insulting, but im pretty disappointed this board once was "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" has now only turned into experienced or paying members only for the Old Reds Guard board....Personally i unfortunately can't sponser any money into this site b/c im in college and am pretty much dead broke. Besides what exactly does it prove being able to have two boards and being allowed to only post on 1? Why not have 1 completely unseen from people that are "inexperience" or "non-paying"? I dont know it really just hit me tonight that its kind of ridiculous that it has been spread apart like this.
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Ok, everyone can post in Red's Live, but only experienced members can post in Old Red Guard? I don't really understand why we have to look at two boards and only be allowed to post in 1.....I've been here since this thing pretty much started and i dont know if i necessarily find it insulting, but im pretty disappointed this board once was "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" has now only turned into experienced or paying members only for the Old Reds Guard board....Personally i unfortunately can't sponser any money into this site b/c im in college and am pretty much dead broke. Besides what exactly does it prove being able to have two boards and being allowed to only post on 1? Why not have 1 completely unseen from people that are "inexperience" or "non-paying"? I dont know it really just hit me tonight that its kind of ridiculous that it has been spread apart like this.
    The orginal and more dedicated posters were getting tired of hearing all of the constant complaining and insulting posts going on so they put an end to it. All of the whiners were newer posters that weren't as dedicated to the Reds as they were. I think it was a great idea. Those that prove that they are true fans and are knowledgeable will eventually make the ORG and those that whine will not be rewarded. It makes good sense IMO.

Yeah -- But the rep points are very bias.

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Agree with beb30. Not to mention, it's a pain in the butt to have to read both 'mini-boards' and, basically, read redundant threads.

Rem

Its really hard to get rep point if u just started out and u dont have any buddies to give u rep points,
    Anyone wanna be my buddy??
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

BEB30,just think as if your climbing a hill and with every good post that you write the higher you will be on the hill.We all had to start from 10 points it isn't just you some gets to 200 fast and some others it takes a little longer.Like Kearns said the main posters that have been on here from the beginning seen that the board was going down hill fast so they thought of this idea with the points reputation.Just hang in there and right good posts about the Reds and baseball and they will reward you.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I need to get people drunk and tell them to gimme rep point lol?
    And no thats not how i get gurls either!!
    Does that deserve rep points?? lol
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

It HAS helped, imo. Already there are fewer really irritating, stupid posts with namecalling and bashing. People really want to get points and seem to keep that in mind when posting - yet it hasn't deterred debate or disagreements. Made a bit more civil.

Well, I guess if I had been here as long as you...I may feel a bit putoff...but as for me...the system has done little to impact what I do...I don't read the other board...not because I am not interested but because if I am interested in something on that board I would never be able to respond...so I just read RedsLive and save myself the frustration.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    The orginal and more dedicated posters were getting tired of hearing all of the constant complaining and insulting posts going on so they put an end to it. All of the whiners were newer posters that weren't as dedicated to the Reds as they were. I think it was a great idea. Those that prove that they are true fans and are knowledgeable will eventually make the ORG and those that whine will not be rewarded. It makes good sense IMO.
    Where did you come to that conclusion? Are you saying that fans that spend hundreds of dollars per year to watch the Reds (or even buy a subscription to watch them on television), but don't come to this site, aren't "true fans"? Do you think that posters with thousands of posts here are more of a fan than those that who have only a few posts? Please, for your own sake, think about it.

Disagree AK. Who is to asertain who is 'more' dedicated to the Reds? You don't think 'whining' isn't going on there? Think again.

And please define what 'proves' they are 'true fans'? Is it the ones that agree with the stat crowd ad nauseaum for fear of being beaten into submission by multiple posts submitted by that clique? Or is it the ones that actually observe the game and form their opinions based upon observation in real time?

And what qualifies as 'knowledgeable'? Is it someone that can break down a stat sheet or is it someone that can recognize a flaw in a swing or a pitching delivery?

Sorry, but if it's going to be a discussion board, you have to allow all opinions and let readers agree or disagree.

As to your statement, 'it makes good sense', I definately disagree.

Rem

I actually laughed out loud when I read this...Dude...way to stir the pot...really...very funny.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Well, I guess if I had been here as long as you...I may feel a bit putoff...but as for me...the system has done little to impact what I do...I don't read the other board...not because I am not interested but because if I am interested in something on that board I would never be able to respond...so I just read RedsLive and save myself the frustration.
    Marty Fan: I don't know if you were responding to a post I made but you've embellished the point I was trying to make.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion, new or old, and having to travese between boards or reading the ORG board and knowing that someone with a possibly viable comment may not be able to respond is, IMO, counter productive.

If someone gets out of line, steps can be taken but, personally, I find this system silly, redundant and greatly more convoluted than it should be.

Rem

Who Cares? So, we cant post on the ORG yet. Frankly, I could care less about reputation. This isnt a popularity contest. I come on here to talk about what I love, and that is Reds Baseball. If some one in the ORG likes my posts, and gives me rep points, cool, if not oh well.

I have seen many a good post here on Reds Live by people with 500 posts but rep points around 50, and many a bad pointless post by ORG members.

Lets cut the complaining about ORG and rep points off now, and turn our focus back to what we all came here for and that is to gather and talk Reds baseball. Lets have fun with Redszone, as you can tell by my ever changing SIG or by some of my semi-witty responses, i have fun with this. Im fairly new here, but I love it. I have been to other fan-forum sites, and this is the best.

some of you in the ORG might find this cheesy, but I dont care, lower my rep, I will still come here, unless I get banned.

end of

p.s. my rep is higher than yours

I think it's ridiculous that I have been posting on this site for nearly four years and I am not a part of ORG. I just don't get it beyond the fact that I think the board contollers just don't like my opinions. But in fact, I like Reds Live! better. I don't have to read opinions I don't agree with as much. But make no mistake, the whole ORG thing is based on the type of opinions you hold, not their quality.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?