Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

Re: What's the point?

I try to use these rules when I start a thread on RedsZone...

1) If it's just for informational purposes, i.e. bobbleheads, player appearances, comments on the game, it gets posted on ORG.
    2) If I want varied responses and opinions it goes on Reds Live!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

I too feel that the conversations are better. And, I spend most of my time on Reds Live! I enjoy seeing what new posters have to offer, and like it better now that I don't have to sift through all of the troll posts.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman
    BEB30,just think as if your climbing a hill and with every good post that you write the higher you will be on the hill.We all had to start from 10 points it isn't just you some gets to 200 fast and some others it takes a little longer.Like Kearns said the main posters that have been on here from the beginning seen that the board was going down hill fast so they thought of this idea with the points reputation.Just hang in there and right good posts about the Reds and baseball and they will reward you.
    It's important to those on Reds Live! to remember that over at ORG sometimes our hands are tied when we try to give out rep points. For example, I really Pacman's posts, but I have to spead around the rep points to 15 other posters before I can up WV's points. AND I can only give out 5 rep points per 24 hours! :
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

If you guys couldnt care less about the ORG, what is with this whine fest to get reputation points?

Here is my 2 cents: Its Boss' and GIK's toy, they can do with it as they please.

For all those who recently joined and don't have many rep points yet:

It takes time. That was one of the purposes of this system. We didn't want somebody to join one week and have 400 reputation points the next. So if you feel that you aren't getting anywhere with your rep, please be patient and keep posting.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Just my $0.02 -

Its not my board, and those that invest the time, $$ and heart into can make whatever rules they wish. Thats the way it should be.

I just like being able to read and post here. At first, I hated it, but who am i to say? Truthfully, I like the Redslive board and could not care less if I am invited to the other as I fully intend to stay here. I know my role!

As for rep points, give em, take em, i don't really care what others think of me. If I post something I think is good, thats all that matters to me.

So my advice, enjoy the Reds Talk, I think its active and good anywehere on here.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Okay, I'll add my two cents since I'm on the other board.

1. I'm not thrilled about the reputation points. I just don't see the purpose and I have ove 10,000 posts. Just because someone was here from the beginning and donated money doesn't mean he is a more credible poster than someone who just came onboard.

2. As for the two sites, I thought with additional moderators you would have more watch dogs looking out for others. You prevent other baseball fans from entering Old Red Guard to add their input.

3. Granted it's Boss-Hogg's and GIK's site. They have the right to do what they want. But I felt that it wasn't being dragged down to the level the Cincinnati.com site was.

Now this is just my opinion so please don't take it personally.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Is this going to be debated every couple of weeks? The people putting all the time and energy into this site like it and that's all that matters. But it's hard to deny the quality of the ORG board now compared to before the changes. It's night and day. I think it was a great move (and I fully expect to get negged for this post!).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

My only complaint is for some of us that have been coming here for a long time (2 years for me) and haven't posted a lot. Most of the time I only read but sometimes I do post (256 before this one) and now I am limited to where I can post. I have made 3 or 4 posts since the whole new reputation system and I have recieved nothing so the odds of me ever getting to post in the ORG are pretty slim at this point. This is upsetting because there have been topics in the ORG that I would have like to have posted on recently but could not.

I understand that something had to be done because there were starting to be some annoying posts, but to some of us that didn't post a lot I feel we have gotten screwed. In my opinion when you see people that have been around 2 years and only have 256 posts, you can pretty much assume that they weren't part of the problem that caused all the changes.

Shaggy,

If there were topics that you wanted to discuss on ORG, then you could have looked for those topics on RL. If they weren't there, you could have started the threads yourself and gotten the ball rolling. Not calling you out here in a negative way, just trying to show you what you can do at RL to discuss what you want to say. Just because something is already being discussed on ORG doesn't mean it can't be discussed at RL also.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Shaggy....I,like you, have been around here for awhile also, but mostly lurk....but I also started out with the 10 rep points, and I have discovered that I seem to now post more on Reds live as it appears to be made up of us that dont post alot and I have seen my rep points move up into the 40's...so, it does work. One of these days I might hit the 200 points, but I might just keep myself down here in the "minors"...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Yeah -- But the rep points are very bias.

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    It's unfortunate that something like that happens. Lord knows I've gotten several PMs complaining about that very thing. That's not what giving positive or negative rep points is about. But no system is perfect and this is the best we have come up with. We have made posts and sent e-mails to ORG members to use the rep point system for its intended purpose - to reward posters for good post content and vice versa. The vast majority abides by this but there isn't a whole hell of a lot we can do about it if they don't. All I can say is that if you make good posts, eventually you will be rewarded. In the meantime, enjoy Reds Live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by LexingtonRedsFan
    Shaggy....I,like you, have been around here for awhile also, but mostly lurk....but I also started out with the 10 rep points, and I have discovered that I seem to now post more on Reds live as it appears to be made up of us that dont post alot and I have seen my rep points move up into the 40's...so, it does work. One of these days I might hit the 200 points, but I might just keep myself down here in the "minors"...
    I hate that term ... "the minors." There's quality discussion on RL. No one should think of RL as the minors. Just a little more loosely structured conversation.

thorn

The 2 boards are equal to "it's my ball, and if you can't play by my rules, I'm taking my ball to another place where all the players play alike" However, there right, if we don't like it, we can go somewhere else. I would prefer a site like Reds Liver over the homerism and and tight nit group on the other board. I need to be careful, they may ban me.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn
    The 2 boards are equal to "it's my ball, and if you can't play by my rules, I'm taking my ball to another place where all the players play alike" However, there right, if we don't like it, we can go somewhere else. I would prefer a site like Reds Liver over the homerism and and tight nit group on the other board. I need to be careful, they may ban me.
    That, right there, made my day.

Turn Off Ads?