Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

Re: What's the point?

As it states to the left of my name, i joined this site in January of this year. I will say in my opinion that the split has really helped the quality of conversation on this board, everyone probably has a different opinion of why that is and people are entitled to that opinion. I myself think that it is simply because people are attempting to articulate what they are saying more carefully, trying to be less abrasive therefore making their point in a better manner therefore gaining rep points, and there is nothing wrong with that, like I said, better conversation.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    Marty Fan: I don't know if you were responding to a post I made but you've embellished the point I was trying to make.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion, new or old, and having to travese between boards or reading the ORG board and knowing that someone with a possibly viable comment may not be able to respond is, IMO, counter productive.

If someone gets out of line, steps can be taken but, personally, I find this system silly, redundant and greatly more convoluted than it should be.

Rem
    Ummm...yeah, I was responding to your original post...just giving my thoughts on it.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    I think it's ridiculous that I have been posting on this site for nearly four years and I am not a part of ORG. I just don't get it beyond the fact that I think the board contollers just don't like my opinions. But in fact, I like Reds Live! better. I don't have to read opinions I don't agree with as much. But make no mistake, the whole ORG thing is based on the type of opinions you hold, not their quality.
    you have to remember that this is a private site.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Disagree AK. Who is to asertain who is 'more' dedicated to the Reds? You don't think 'whining' isn't going on there? Think again.

Rem
    Well it's pretty easy to tell by the amount of fans who lose interest when the Reds start losing. Have you noticed how the original posters havn't declined while a large sum of the newer posters have started posting less as the year has gone along.

The switch to two boards needed to be made. I read this forum daily and near the end of the one board system it was getting almost unreadable. People were whining over the same things over and over. the quality in the posts were lacking greatly. I can see some posters like Wheelhouse that have a beef since they are veterans of Redszone. with the two board I find reading them has become much easier. you really only need to read just one of them since they seem to contain the same information and discussion topics.

I can understand many people disagreeing with my original post but I don't see how it can be considered "laughable". I made a fair argument. I understood what had to happen. People can still post on RedsZone while giving the veteran posters an alternative by discussing with some of the more knowledgeable fans. I know there are some very knowledgeable fans on this board too. If they are, then the people on ORG will likely give you enough rep points to go up quickly. I hate to single out some people but look at Caveat Emporor, Joseph, Matt700WLW and many others that moved up very quickly.

It's not that difficult to get rep points anyways. For example I have almost as many rep points as I do posts. and how about BillyBeaneFan, he joined all of like a week ago and I believe he is more than half to 200 posts.

Agree or disagree with the decisions, but it has worked and I bet the majority of the posters would agree with that.

I'm interested in everyone's opinion, new or old, and having to travese between boards or reading the ORG board and knowing that someone with a possibly viable comment may not be able to respond is, IMO, counter productive.

Rem
    I don't see it that way. For one, I don't have a problem visiting Reds Live and reading the opinions expressed here. I view it as no different from visiting other Reds forums and reading the posts there. I'm interested in varying opinions as well and the truth is, most of the threads on ORG are replicated on Reds Live. Anyone who has a viable comment to make on a subject on ORG, has the same opportunity to make it on Reds Live. I've noticed alot of threads on Reds Live are started by members of ORG. People are trying to give everyone an opportunity to express their opinions on a given subject here. I think, no I'm convinced, the split has made the quality of posts on both forums better.

I thought Austin Kearns post was an accurate summary of the things leading to the split and found it funny who the first couple of people to rip on it were.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

You should try moderating several thousand members who disagree with seemingly every decision you make or anytime a suspension is handed out for violating the board's rules. It's not too fun, nor do I have the interest or time to personally respond to every private message I get about 'overmoderation'. That's not something I enjoy doing and I know several other moderators who feel the same way.

You were around from the very beginning and you know how good the board used to be. In my opinion, the board is a lot closer to how it was originally than where we were at a month ago, in terms of the site's mission. Additionally, this forum receives PLENTY of posts from ORG members and that's encouraged. If the worst thing that's happened since the change is that users have to look at two forums, I think that's a very small price to pay for the noticeable increase in the quality of posts. That's my two cents.

Boss

Marty Fan: I don't know if you were responding to a post I made but you've embellished the point I was trying to make.

If someone gets out of line, steps can be taken but, personally, I find this system silly, redundant and greatly more convoluted than it should be.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    I think it's ridiculous that I have been posting on this site for nearly four years and I am not a part of ORG. I just don't get it beyond the fact that I think the board contollers just don't like my opinions. But in fact, I like Reds Live! better. I don't have to read opinions I don't agree with as much. But make no mistake, the whole ORG thing is based on the type of opinions you hold, not their quality.
    Yes, this move was clearly made with us, as a committee, collectively saying - "How could we possisbly screw Wheelhouse the most?"

I added an an anonymous poll to this thread just so we can see where everyone stands - solely for kicks. Regardless of the tally, the new system will remain in place, just as GIK and I said when we both agreed to implement it.

i think the overall quality of posts in both forums has increased. as well, there seem to be fewer and fewer trolls now. i like it.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

This is what I would of done.

1) Freeze the account list from the day you set up RedsLive! Who ever was on site before that time would have acess to posting to the ORG Board....

2) If your account has been inactive for some time, then you don't get to post on that board.

3) If you have had any trouble in the past on the fourms, your account can only get into RedsLive untill you've reached the 200 pt min.

4) Any accounts created after RedsLive created only gets into the RedsLive fourm to post till the rep points are up to 200.

Of course, if you've been here for awhile.. you get to stay on with the others untill you prove that you are not worthy of posting on the board.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    i think the overall quality of posts in both forums has increased. as well, there seem to be fewer and fewer trolls now. i like it.

I agree 100%.

I think it's good. It separated two groups of people who were equally responsible for much the noise. (Sent everyone to their corners.) It also simply separated the large population. There were just too many people on one board.

I read both boards and find good stuff on both. I don't mind redundant threads between the two, the discussions sometimes take different, interesting courses.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Yeah -- But the rep points are very bias.

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203
    Yeah -- But the rep points are very bias.

I've made a few comments and i've gotten negative points on them when I felt they aren't even worthy of negative points.

And i've also made a few comments I felt I should of gotten posative points, and haven't gotten any.
    FYI...I have never and will never give out negative rep points - I just ignore the post. AND I only give our positive points to posters on Reds Live!
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Ok, everyone can post in Red's Live, but only experienced members can post in Old Red Guard? I don't really understand why we have to look at two boards and only be allowed to post in 1.....I've been here since this thing pretty much started and i dont know if i necessarily find it insulting, but im pretty disappointed this board once was "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" has now only turned into experienced or paying members only for the Old Reds Guard board....Personally i unfortunately can't sponser any money into this site b/c im in college and am pretty much dead broke. Besides what exactly does it prove being able to have two boards and being allowed to only post on 1? Why not have 1 completely unseen from people that are "inexperience" or "non-paying"? I dont know it really just hit me tonight that its kind of ridiculous that it has been spread apart like this.
    Even tho' I disagree with your opinion, I still gave you rep points for bringing up the conversation...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?