Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you feel the recent board changes have been good for the site?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 68.10%
  • No

37 31.90%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the point?

thorn

Re: What's the point?

Look out, he's done broke out the rules.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since he owns the board I guess he's earned that right!

I haven't been following this system change too closely as I have been very busy with school. As one of the more casual fans on this board, I use Redszone as my primary source of information about the Reds, as it is much better than the Enquirer or WLW talk radio. I have found no problems with the system change for this purpose, as both boards contain much, if not all, of the same news. I only post when I have an opinion which has not yet been stated, or, if I disagree with what is being said. Reds Live! is probably the second most active Reds Message Board on the internet, behing ORG. Because of this, I see Reds Live as a great message board. I preferred the old system, as it inspired more discussion, but this system is perfectly fine.

I haven't really kept up on this, but how is the board funded now? Can people still subscribe?

Quote Originally Posted by kxblue
    I haven't been following this system change too closely as I have been very busy with school. As one of the more casual fans on this board, I use Redszone as my primary source of information about the Reds, as it is much better than the Enquirer or WLW talk radio. I have found no problems with the system change for this purpose, as both boards contain much, if not all, of the same news. I only post when I have an opinion which has not yet been stated, or, if I disagree with what is being said. Reds Live! is probably the second most active Reds Message Board on the internet, behing ORG. Because of this, I see Reds Live as a great message board. I preferred the old system, as it inspired more discussion, but this system is perfectly fine.

I haven't really kept up on this, but how is the board funded now? Can people still subscribe?
    The recent move replaced the subscription system. I think we're OK on finances for the short term - but once that money is gone, the site will go back a donation system that is used to fund our expenses. You can donate at anytime by sending a paypal to GIK or via check or money order. If you'd like either address, please let me know. Thanks for the question.

Sooooo...how do I get an avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Sooooo...how do I get an avatar?
    For bandwidth purposes, they're reserved for those with ORG posting access.

So once I get 200 rep. points I get an avatar?

Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    So once I get 200 rep. points I get an avatar?

Sweet.
    Yes. These are the minimum requirements to receive ORG posting access if you weren't "grandfathered" in:

-Reputation of 200
    -A registered member for 30 days
    -60 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Yes. These are the minimum requirements to receive ORG posting access if you weren't "grandfathered" in:

-Reputation of 200
    -A registered member for 30 days
    -60 posts
    So a user has to meet all three requirements?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    One of the other alternatives was to make it a pay forum, would that have made everyone happier that is currently not happy about the set up? Or a completely private board to where only certain people could post or read, is that what people want? While you may not agree with it, be happy that you can post at all here.

Redsman, regarding your post:

This is what I would of done.

How exactly would #1 have solved the problems as the problems were rampant with the membership that was in tact when Live was formed? Regarding # 2, many of the people that used to post here were not actively posting BECAUSE of the horrible shape the board was in.

At some point I hope any mention of the current system gets a thread locked. It is there, everyone can still post, everyone can still read. If a thread is discussed only in ORG anyone can start the same thread in the Live forum.

Anyone that was a member of this forum could have had access to ORG if they had simply purchased a 1 month subscription at any time, which if I remember was $3.00?

By no means is the current system perfect, there are people that post in ORG that are troublemakers and pain in the butts, but over all the change in attitudes and posting have been completely turned around. I was not sure in the beginning it would work, but I was wrong and am very glad to see how it has changed the over all feel of the board. People do not want to get dinged so they pay more attention to what they say, or rather HOW they say it.
    The problem with bandwith/cost was that the 'be the last poster thread(s) were eating up the space. It had turned into a chat room for a few and it sucked up resorces. Eliminate that and there is no reason to worry about bandwidth.

This board exsists solely for and because people do post on it! No posts---no board. That's the bottom line. Alinate those with differing opinions and you turn it into a board of 'huggy/kissy guys' who just want to tell each other how great they are. Give me some opinion, some observation that doesn't rely on dead stats. I want to hear what people are thinking----even if I don't agree. If I don't agree, I'll let them know.

Bottom line: Cleaned up bandwidth, let the people speak. Donations will flow to keep the site alive.

Rem

Panicking Fan since 1993

The problem on the board was never differing opinions. The problem was the shreking tone and attacks, which were bad even if you agreed with whatever point was trying to be made. Having moderators wield suspension hammers was actually making matters a little worse, as some though they were too quick with the suspensions, others that they were not quick enough.

Negative Rep was never a means for punishing different opinions. Its a means for indicating dissatisfaction with a post/poster that lowers the civil nature of the board, hopefully allowing the poster to learn what is or is not acceptable.

I think the vastly improved tone of both boards after the changes, the veteran posters who came back, and the quick graduation of many shows that the changes were both needed and effective.

Personally I think that the two forum deal is perfectly fine. I think just about everyone reads both boards, so it isn't like you are shut out from having conversations with the entire RedsZone membership... Overall, I think that just about everyone has made a conscious effort to "step their game up" in terms of saying things in the correct manner.

As a relatively new RedsZoner who had never before heard about RedsZone until my good buddy CincyRedsFan30 told me about it, I have found RedsZone to be an absolute delight, and an even bigger delight since this "transition."

Before I knew about the existence of RedsZone, the only place that I knew of to talk about the Reds was the AOL Reds Message Board, which, for anyone who reads/follows it at all knows that it is sort like a Cincinnati Reds-Chat purgatory!

LOL, if RedsZone (and by RedsZone I mean Reds Live! as well as Old Red Guard) is the "major leagues" of Cincinnati Reds message boarding then the AOL Reds message board is low single A ball w/o any major league affiliation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    So a user has to meet all three requirements?
    That's correct.

This is how I feel: I want Ribs and Potato Salad for dinner and no heartburn afterwards.

I haven't had much problem with it right now. As long as I work hard and get to the promised land I'm happy!

Turn Off Ads?