Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield Wednesday are promoted !!!!! whoo hoo

Sheffield Wednesday are promoted !!!!! whoo hoo

The best day of my life yesterday. 40'000 of our fans partying in Cardiff in the league one play off final.

Just a little taster for you all.

http://www.sandham.net/talbot_finalwhistle.wmv

p.s Yes it was really that good

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sheffield Wednesday are promoted !!!!! whoo hoo

Anys comments about the video ? It almost made me cry when a saw it

Very visceral and inspiring. Congratulations on your move to the Championship league.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I wonder...

will pro soccer ever make it in a big way in the U.S? Is it growing on the pro level here?

Not really. There will always be a core group of fans, but it's just too boring for most Americans. I think MLS shrank by a couple of teams the year before last, didn't they?
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Congrats, enjoy the buzz the next level will be hard eh?

As for the US and Soccer.... I don't expect much until the USA team romps in the future and a bunch of bandwagoners climb aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    I wonder...

will pro soccer ever make it in a big way in the U.S? Is it growing on the pro level here?
    The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future. The growing Hispanic population will do the same. It will also help if MLS can start placing their top clubs in the South American or European tournaments. FIFA helped by renewing the CONCACAF Cup.

The problem is that US soccer faces a double edged sword. As WOY pointed out, the success of the national team is going to drive the domestic fanbase. For the national team players to get the most experience against the best competition, they have to go to the European leagues. However, that leaves MLS without the star-power to really ramp up attendence.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    For the national team players to get the most experience against the best competition, they have to go to the European leagues. However, that leaves MLS without the star-power to really ramp up attendence.
    Nail firmly hit on the head. You need some stars to attract the fans, not old has beens who come over for a final pay day. I can't ever see football (soccer) ever being really big in the States.

Why does Sheffield's Wednesday's playoff win make some of you think of American soccer's future?
    Why wouldn't the more logical question be the consideration of British Football. The two largest and most successful teams are owned by a Russian and an American. This rankles many. If Reds fans are chapped at the Yankees, imagine if the Yankees were owned by French megamillionaires (or whatever country is being demonized at the moment).

The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future.
    They've been saying that for 40 years, hasn't happened yet. I doubt it ever will. I think America's team sports dance card is just too full. Even pre-strike, the NHL was having a tough go of it.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

This is also great.

http://www.sandham.net/perfectday-loureed_swfc.mp3

From my local bbc radio station

Enjoy

Pragmatic Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    I think MLS shrank by a couple of teams the year before last, didn't they?
    On the contrary, the MLS actually added two new teams (Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA). Also, more teams are getting soccer-only stadiums. I think the LA Galaxy (or maybe it is San Jose Earthquakes) recently completed one and the DC United have one coming up in a few years. It isn't just the Columbus Crew anymore.
    OPS is all that matters.

Batting average is the bane of my existence.

I have NO idea what this thread is about.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

"Honalulu Wednesday in paradise Honalulu Wednesday in paradise"

Gotta love the Wednesday you know what Im saying. Think October 1990 .

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future. The growing Hispanic population will do the same.
    The soon-to-be-ex mayor of my city is chasing an MLS franchise for our big, empty downtown dome, so for the last few months, I've heard many bigwigs in town weighing in on whether it's a good idea.

Red McCombs, a local billionaire who has owned several pro sports franchises in his career says that research he's commissioned indicates American youth tend to lose interest in soccer in their early teens. This trend is said to cross ethnic demographics. Around here, the Latino community's interest in soccer is said to be limited to following teams in Latin America. Local Latinos surveyed have nearly zero interest in MLS.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?