Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Matthews Band

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave Matthews Band

Any fans here on the board? The tour starts this week and I'm pretty excited to be going to several shows this summer. Also can't wait to hear the new material and hopefully some of the old classics come back.

Anyone else going to a concert/thinking of going to a concert?

RedTeamGo!

Re: Dave Matthews Band

They aren't my favorite band or anything but I was going to see them at Bonnaroo. It fell through though.

I'll be seein' em in DC (June) and Cincy (July) with some friends. I've never been to DC so thats a big part of the reason we're heading there. The Cincy show has become a tradition of sorts for me and a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon
    I'll be seein' em in DC (June) and Cincy (July) with some friends. I've never been to DC so thats a big part of the reason we're heading there. The Cincy show has become a tradition of sorts for me and a friend.
    Can't wait for the Cincy concert. Remember the Reds and Cubs play a 12:35 game that day so you can easily do both with dinner in between. I also agree with seeing them at different places. My friend and I try to do at least one new venue as a little road trip each year. This year we picked Alpine so we're going to go camping up there and hit the two shows.

Yeah, Randy, I agree with you about the new CD. I wasn't a huge fan initially but I started to like it more after hearing some of the songs live. I've always been one that takes a little longer to like a new CD. I never really fall in love at first listen. The thing I can repect about the new album is that the band has repeatedly said it was their favorite album to make. If they are having fun then us as fans have to take what they give us I suppose.

I'll be seeing them in DC too, June 26th I think.

Leave WELL in advance, if you're coming to the show from the direction of DC. The traffic can be an absolute nightmare!

For a Level Playing Field

I have not heard the new CD. However, if I see the DMB tour bus coming anywhere near me (esp. above me)... I am getting the heck out of Dodge. Birds are bad enough, tour buses are not in the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I'll be seeing them in DC too, June 26th I think.

Leave WELL in advance, if you're coming to the show from the direction of DC. The traffic can be an absolute nightmare!
    Thanks for the advice. We're going to be there for quite a few extra days so that I can see some of the sights around DC. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the advice. We're going to be there for quite a few extra days so that I can see some of the sights around DC. Any recommendations?
    I'll PM you...I've got plenty.

I've been a big fan, but I'm not that impressed with the new CD. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, I'm a little dissapointed.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I've been a big fan, but I'm not that impressed with the new CD. Maybe it will grow on me, but for now, I'm a little dissapointed.
    I've given it a few listens through...there are some good songs on there: "Dream Girl", "American Baby", "Hello Again", "Louisiana Bayou", but the rest feels a lot like filler.

All in all, it's much better than "Everyday" or "Busted Stuff," in my opinion. I think all DMB fans just need to come to terms with the fact that they're never going to make an album as good as "Before These Crowded Streets" (which may be one of the greatest albums of all time, for any band) again.

I think this album will play much better live than it does in album form. I'm definately looking forward to the Riverbend show, especially since O.A.R. is opening for them!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    All in all, it's much better than "Everyday" or "Busted Stuff," in my opinion. I think all DMB fans just need to come to terms with the fact that they're never going to make an album as good as "Before These Crowded Streets" (which may be one of the greatest albums of all time, for any band) again.
    Busted Stuff is a very underrated album, and it could have been UTTAD great if not for the Lillywhite Sessions, which is actually the hidden Busted Stuff. As it is, BS has some classics such as Grey Street, You Never Know, Raven, Big Eyed Fish and Bartender.

For my money, UTTAD remains the best DMB album but all of them are great, including Everday.

It's natural for fans of any band to think that the music that was current when they started listening is the band's best and "true sound." Stand Up has a lot of the "true" DMB sound and will eventually be appreciated. Dreamgirl, ODH, AB and Bayou are great songs. And the American Baby intro is hauntingly good. Can't wait to hear these live.

I'm not waiting for DMB at Riverbend in July, which isn't that great of a concert experience anyway. I'm hitting up Deer Creek in two weeks which is the best venue within a 5-hour drive from Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    I'm not waiting for DMB at Riverbend in July, which isn't that great of a concert experience anyway. I'm hitting up Deer Creek in two weeks which is the best venue within a 5-hour drive from Cincinnati.
    Yeah, I went to Deercreek last year and it was probably my favorite venue I've been to. Couldn't go this year because I will be out of town. I am hitting up Pittsburgh for the first time next weekend, I managed to get two pavillions off Ebay for only $60 including shipping, it was too good a deal to pass up.

I agree with the earlier perspective about Busted Stuff. Really, with me, it's to the point I rarely listen to Busted Stuff, I only listen to the Lillywhite Sessions. It's frustrating to think where the band could have gone had they done more at the time with the Lillywhite Sessions (i.e. no Ballard and Everyday).

I think Stand Up will be known for it's live performances. Think of how they cut up some songs for the album cut like Hello Again. It's not even the same song without the killer drum solo and jam at the end.

To Halcyon, O.A.R. is great live. Hearing them last year in Columbus really got me into them. If you would like to listen to some live legal bootlegs, I'd be happy to hook you up over AIM or something, send me a PM and we can work it out.

That also goes for anyone that would like to get ahold of some live O.A.R. or DMB, send me a PM and I'll do my best to send it over AIM or point you to somewhere where you can find it.

Not Laughing

I think Stand Up is the band's best effort since BTCS. I find myslef drawn to American Baby (and the intro), Hello Again, Bayou, & the last sone (which the title is escaping me).

If you listen to music with the mentality that music/bands evolve, you will like this album. It took me awhile to sell meself on the before mentioned theory. When Everyday came out and they used electric guitars, I was bummed but it grew on me.

Stand Up is a good effort. Much better than Everyday, Busted Stuff, or Dave's solo album.

On a related note, the Live at Central Park set is probably my all time favorite album.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Remember the Reds and Cubs play a 12:35 game that day so you can easily do both with dinner in between.
    Yeah, our plan is to go up the day before. We're going to catch the nite game on the 20th after we get up there and chill out for a bit. The day of the show we're going to see the day game, grab a quick bite to eat, and head to the show a little early.

I'm definately looking forward to the Riverbend show, especially since O.A.R. is opening for them!
    Me too. My friend and I are both ready to see O.A.R. We've never seen em before, been listening for a few months. He's got the live album and we enjoy it.

I think this album will play much better live than it does in album form.
    I certainly agree with this sentiment. I look forward to the shows so that I can hear some of this stuff live.

I love the stuff that Dave Matthews does with Tim Reynolds. Classic, in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?