Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Matthews Band

Ceemonki

Re: Dave Matthews Band

DMB were one of the best live music experiences I have ever witnessed here in Australia (Counting Crows three hour Sydney set is the only thing that gets close). This year was the first time they have set foot in Aus, the closest before this was a cancelled 2001 tour.

They played usual theatres etc, but the highlight was Bluesfest held at a place in NSW called Byron Bay. Its a coastal town that holds a 5 day festival on a set of rugby fields. The festival itself included The Wailers, George Clinton and P-Funk, REM, Jack Johnson, G-Love and Special Sauce, Earnest Ranglin, Bo Diddley, Gomez, Bright Eyes, Cake, Violent Femmes, George Thorogood, Michael Franti and Spearhead + many more.

DMB played the first night with Angelique Kidjo and Dave making cameos in each others sets. Overall they played for well over 2 hours and most Americans in the crowd near us thought it was one of their best ever sets due to the sheer amount of fun they were having and the length of the jamming. I just really hope I don't have to wait so long to see them again, you guys over there have it lucky, I'd kill to see a Dave and Tim show.

This was the set list.

Grey Street
    What Would You Say
    One Sweet World
    Granny
    Jimi Thing (My favourite DMB song and it was amazing to finally see the extended scat version live)
    Hello Again
    Satellite (With Angelique Kidjo)
    Warehouse
    American Baby
    Everyday
    So Much To Say
    Too Much
    Crush
    Rhyme & Reason
    Ants Marching

Two Step
    All Along The Watchtower

2. Turn Off Ads?

DMB is playing the Bonnaroo music festival tonight. XM satellite radio is broadcasting this festival all weekend on channel 51 Music Lab. According to the schedule DMB is supposed to play from 8:30 to midnight tonight. So I think XM will broadcast their live set tonight.

I was at night 2 in Indy last night and it was the best DMB experience I've ever had. The setlist rocked and included a strong dose of old songs, including a killer Dancing Nancies --> Warehouse back-to-back. The band jammed during Nancies and the Bayou jam was out of this world. Also, the cool, breezy night made for a great setting, and the rain held off until the final encore song (Watchtower). The lightning and wind kicking up pre-storm combined with the music made for an awesome experience. I was so pumped up I didn't even mind the ridiculous 2+ hours it took to get back to I-69 from parking lot. Rolled back into Cincy at exactly 4 a.m.

I'm telling you guys, a lot of people think that DMB has taken a few steps back in recent years but after only a handful of shows this summer DMB is back.

Reds/Flyers, do you remember the setlist much? I'm taking my GF when he comes out to D.C. here in a couple of weeks, it'd be interestign to see what he's playing. Also, i don't particularly care for him much, so I don't know his catalog. I have "Everyday" cause it's her favorite album, but beyond that I don't really know him.

For anyone thats in search of setlists just try one of the following sites:

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/
    http://antsmarching.org/tour/
    http://www.dmband.com/road/frames.html

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Reds/Flyers, do you remember the setlist much? I'm taking my GF when he comes out to D.C. here in a couple of weeks, it'd be interestign to see what he's playing. Also, i don't particularly care for him much, so I don't know his catalog. I have "Everyday" cause it's her favorite album, but beyond that I don't really know him.
    All his setlists from this tour and tours dating back to the early DMB days (they have actually played Music Hall and Taft Theatre in Cincinnati before they went big) are available at antsmarching.org, nancies.org or davematthewsband.com. Last night was huge since it was the first time this tour they have played Dancing Nancies and Best of What's Around.

For what it's worth, if you're just listening to Everyday then you really aren't listening to DMB. That is an oddball CD that is totally different from the band's other work. I highly recommend picking up some live CD's (Central Park, Red Rocks, Live in Chicago) for the true DMB sound. Also, the other studio albums are worlds better than every day.

As for what they'll play in DC, count on at least 6 or 7 songs from the new Stand Up CD -- especially Louisiana Bayou, Dreamgirl and American Baby. You'll likely either get an Ants Marching or Warehouse (last night Indy got both). The band really loves playing The Stone, Where are You Going and Crash. But with a band that has more than 120 songs at its disposal, not counting covers such as All Along the Watchtower which they play a lot, you never know what you'll get.

But definitely pick up some more CDs other than Everyday if you want to hear the band.

Figured I'd bump this, the Tour just started a little while ago and I just got back from trip from Noblesville, IN to see them on their two night run there. Looks to be great tour coming with the return of some songs (Raven, Dreaming Tree, Proudest Monkey, JTR & I got #40 at Deercreek) and at least one new song (The Idea of You) with at least a few more coming.

So who else is going to Riverbend this year?

I'd rather listen to someone hit me in the head with a hammer. But it's cool that ya'll like them. I've heard they put on a good show.
    Last edited by pedro; 06-05-2006 at 12:35 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Figured I'd bump this, the Tour just started a little while ago and I just got back from trip from Noblesville, IN to see them on their two night run there. Looks to be great tour coming with the return of some songs (Raven, Dreaming Tree, Proudest Monkey, JTR & I got #40 at Deercreek) and at least one new song (The Idea of You) with at least a few more coming.

I'm going to their Michigan concert tomorrow night. Last time I saw DMB in the Detroit-metro area was during the "Vote for Change" tour in 2004 and they had Neil Young come out and do a partial set with them, which was just awesome. I'll also be at the Cincinnati show in August.

I'm hoping since they're in a "between album" tour that they might dip deeper into the archives -- hit some more of the classics off Under the Table and Crowded Streets. I've never heard them play "Crush" live, and that'd be a bit of a treat.

Hopefully it'll be a good show tomorrow! The setlist for the first two shows of the tour was pretty awesome -- if they just combined those, it'd be an amazing time!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07

I was at Noblesville Night 2 as well. I watched that setlist live on Friday night and I was just smacking myself over the head for not going. Then we got into the lot Saturday around 4:45 pm and heard Dreaming Tree being soundchecked and my night was made. Hearing #40 at 2 of my last 3 shows has been incredible as well (went to Alpine last year).

I am so pumped for this tour. It really looks like DMB is listening to want the fans want to hear and they are spending a lot of time dusting off old favorites. I had never seen them soundcheck both nights of a two night stand like in Indy. Also, the new songs so far have sounded non-Stand Up like which is a good thing. I am really digging The Idea Of You and Ayhee.

I will be at Columbus Wednesday night and Pittsburgh on Friday night. I have 16th row seats for Cincinnati but I will be working in Phoenix this summer on an internship so my sister got very good seats. I will also be hitting the Phoenix and Chula Vista shows out west.

Redsin07 - you sound like a pretty big fan. I'm assuming you already know about www.dreamingtree.org but if you don't, check it out. You can download tons and tons of live shows there including all the shows from this tour.

Deer Creek is a great venue.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Deer Creek is a great venue.
    I have to say it's my favorite other than Alpine. I haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks but of the midwest venues Alpine and Deer Creek are 1a and 1b. I was extremely impressed with the people Saturday night. Everyone was very chill and friendly. Normally at most places I've been, people act like idiots and try to push their way to the front, but at Deer Creek no one was pushing at all. I will definately go every year since it's such an easy drive and there is relatively little traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    I have to say it's my favorite other than Alpine. I haven't been to the Gorge or Red Rocks but of the midwest venues Alpine and Deer Creek are 1a and 1b. I was extremely impressed with the people Saturday night. Everyone was very chill and friendly. Normally at most places I've been, people act like idiots and try to push their way to the front, but at Deer Creek no one was pushing at all. I will definately go every year since it's such an easy drive and there is relatively little traffic.
    I've seen the Grateful Dead there a bunch of times. I like Alpine too.

Yeah Caseyfan21 I already know about dreamingtree.org, that and bt.etree.org is where i get all their stuff. Yea, I agree with you I'm liking the new stuff, Sister, I Won't Give it Away, Idea of You have all been pleasent suprises. Unfortunatly I can only go to Riverbend for the rest of the year, I'm really jealous that you're going to all those shows!
    Last edited by Elam; 06-05-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Turn Off Ads?