Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman Begins

They call me "chef"

Batman Begins

You probably already know but they are restarting the Batman franchise and they have a very accomplished director at the helm in Christopher Nolan. His first film, Following, was a no-budget movie that managed to impress a lot of folks and then he did Memento which is a very well made film whether you liked its style or not. Anyway he's doing the new Batman movie and he has cast some really good, credible actors.

Christian Bale (American Psycho) is Batman/Bruce Wayne, Michael Caine is Alfred, the man who played Jim in 28 Days Later is the Scarecrow, and Morgan Freeman is also casted.

I'm really excited to see this one considering the film studio took a chance with Nolan as the director and his decision of casting an excellent actor in the role of Batman. The storyline has been described as leaning towards a more realistic take on Batman and a lot more focus is being put on showing Bruce Wayne as an actual character and not just a prelude to putting on the Batman outfit.

June 17th. Coming soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Batman Begins

I would have rather seen Aronofsky do Year One, personally. But Nolan is nails, I'll give him that.

I'd like to see Freeman as Commissioner Gordon.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

They call me "chef"

Yeah I became interested in this movie when I realized who was involved. It seemed like they read a list of my favorite filmmakers and actors and selected their cast from there. It was eery.

Freeman is Lucius Fox, a very under utilized character in the Batman universe.

Going to be an outstanding summer for action flicks, though i think Fantastic Four will flat out suck, War of the Worlds looks good.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

though i think Fantastic Four will flat out suck
    Who melted the Thing? He looks like a blob of peanut butter.

The rubber suit Roger Corman used in his never-seen Fantastic Four movie looked more impressive.

As for Batman Begins, the jury's still out. Batman always seemed boring to me. I prefer the tongue-in-cheek Adam West version.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-11-2005 at 10:23 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Man Johnny, that scene from the FF movie looks pretty chinsy (almost like the old 70's TV shows the Hulk and Spiderman). I'm disappointed, since I was a HUGE FF fan growing up. I figured they'd try to use computer animation, mixed with live action, for the Thing and Torch.

I thought they did a good job with the recent Hulk movie (the plot just sucked big time).

I'm ready for the BIG let-down though.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    You probably already know but they are restarting the Batman franchise and they have a very accomplished director at the helm in Christopher Nolan. His first film, Following, was a no-budget movie that managed to impress a lot of folks and then he did Memento which is a very well made film whether you liked its style or not.
    Insomnia was a pretty cool flick, too. Although, Momento was much better....

Man Johnny, that scene from the FF movie looks pretty chinsy (almost like the old 70's TV shows the Hulk and Spiderman). I'm disappointed, since I was a HUGE FF fan growing up. I figured they'd try to use computer animation, mixed with live action, for the Thing and Torch.
    Sorry GAC, that photo is from the crappy unreleased Fantastic Four movie Roger Corman made in the '80s. The new movie does use CGI. I edited my post to show a comparison. Unfortunately, the Thing is still in a rubber suit -- one that looks as bad or worse than the one in the photo I posted from the old movie.

You can see the trailer for the new movie here. www.fantasticfourmovie.com
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-11-2005 at 10:32 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Dr. Doom is not supposed to be handsome. bad casting, plust they took a little too much dramatic license with the origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Sorry GAC, that photo is from the crappy unreleased Fantastic Four movie Roger Corman made in the '80s. The new movie does use CGI. I edited my post to show a comparison. Unfortunately, the Thing is still in a rubber suit -- one that looks as bad or worse than the one in the photo I posted.

You can see the trailer for the new movie here. www.fantasticfourmovie.com
    Trailer looks pretty good, I plan on seeing it and Batman this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They filmed some scenes from Batman on my street in Chicago. Got to see the Batmobile, and Bale in costume. They had all kinds of props just sitting around for months. Pretty neat stuff. Katie Holmes though managed to stay in hiding.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Dr. Doom is not supposed to be handsome. bad casting, plust they took a little too much dramatic license with the origin.

Actually, Doom isn't THAT scarred, at least in current continuity. He wears the mask because he THINKS he's grossly disfigured (due to that idiot Richards!)

About Batman, Gary Oldman was friggin BORN to play (LT) James Gordon. His look in the film could have been lifted directly out of Frank Miller's Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Trailer looks pretty good, I plan on seeing it and Batman this summer.
    Same here WV. The problem with me is that the last few super hero movies that I've seen come out of Marvel (with the exception of Spiderman), have been huge disappointments. Growing up in the 60's and being raised on comic books/superheroes, you have a built-in perception of how these characters came to be (storylines, etc).... these newer movies have gone way too far in changing alot of that.

I thought the Hulk could have been alot better movie. The trailer for the new FF movie looked pretty good. But what I saw of Dr Doom didn't impress me at all, and I wonder how much they changed the character?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I always thought that Doom could have fixed those scars at any time. He also dabbles in mysticism.

The FF movie was rushed. It was cast before a script was even written. that's a bad combination.

As for other recent Marvel movies. personally, i liked the Hulk. Again way too much dramatic license with the origin, but certainly plausible in the Marvel universe.

I loved the Punisher, though i would have preferred it strictly adhered to his origin. way too many great scenes in Marvel history flashing back to the kite...

Daredevil.. well i liked the costuming. I like that Affleck is a huge fan. Bullseye was tremendous. And Michael Duncan Clark was excellent as the Kingpin.

Not a fan of Blade. Was there ever a more minor character in comic history that went on to have success like this.

The X movies rock. I can't wait until the next one.

It's about time DC jumped back in to movies. Catwoman from all accounts sucked. Constantine looks promising. Batman Begins looks awesome. They need a new Superman movie, And I'd like to see GL, Martian Manhunter, Flash or Green Arrow. (love GA)

Turn Off Ads?